• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Global Talent Representatives (formerly National Writers L.A.) (Andrew Whelchel)

devharry

Hi,
I am new to this forum and happy to have access to it. Has anyone had experience with Andrew Whelchel from the National Writers Literary Agency? If so, would you share?

vstrauss

Re: andrew whelchel national writers literary agency

NWLA charges an upfront fee. I've gotten reports that vary from $350 to $475. This really isn't typical of established agents; standard practice to let the expenses accrue and deduct them from the writer's advance. I think the upfront fee must be a recent change for NWLA; previously, it asked clients to provide postage and all full ms. copies (which also is atypical).

Some aspects of the agency's contract are nonstandard, notably the lack of any mention of the use of co-agents and split commissions. This is a pretty significant omission, and suggests to me that NWLA may not attempt to market its authors' foreign rights.

NWLA does appear to have some sales, and provides a list on request. I've checked this list; of the books that can be found on Amazon, there's no sale more recent than 2002 (assuming at least a year between the sale and a pub date of 2003). If this represents the sum of the agency's sales, it's not a strong record for an agency that has been in business for a number of years.

- Victoria

spywriter

I did some looking for you too and I found out that he attends numerous conferences with big name agents, authors and publishers. Many of his sales are in the film area (unpublished novels). During my research, I found several articles that said that Western agents often charge a postal deposit since the cost of sending MSS to NY is more expensive. So, it's not unheard of, especially for a new agency. I also like that he talks to Hollywood since many of the Central Park Westers never leave CPW! P and E list no complaints either. Best of luck to you...let us all know.

DaveKuzminski

Spywriter is slightly incorrect. National Writers Literary Agency is "not recommended" by P&E.

vstrauss

>>I found out that he attends numerous conferences with big name agents, authors and publishers.<<

This means very little. Many marginal (and some scam) agents are frequent conference attenders. Writers' conferences, unfortunately, don't always do all they could to vet their guests.

>>Many of his sales are in the film area (unpublished novels).<<

I suspect that "many" is kind of an exaggeration, at least based on the sales info the agency sends out, which lists just one unpubbed novel that has been optioned (the studio's website, however, makes no mention of the project). The sale of unpublished novels to Hollywood is one of those writerly pipe dreams, like the million dollar advance. Sure, it happens, but it's fairly rare.

>>During my research, I found several articles that said that Western agents often charge a postal deposit since the cost of sending MSS to NY is more expensive.<<

Those articles were misguided. Charging upfront--for anything--is nonstandard practice among successful agents, and this doesn't vary based on the part of the country they're from.

>>I also like that he talks to Hollywood since many of the Central Park Westers never leave CPW!<<

No, they use co-agents for this, recognizing the limits of their own expertise. They also use co-agents to sell overseas, which, as I noted in my previous post, isn't allowed for in NWLA's contract.

- Victoria

spywriter

Andrew Whelchel

Ok, so I stand corrected on the P and E thing. NWLA is NOT RECCOMENDED, but they do NOT have a warning for Andrew himslef...just a $ sign. I just looked it up.

I agree that NO MONEY is what to look for, but I talked with a Non-fiction writer in NY who has published numerous books and he said that a small fee would not deter him, if the agent has a record of sales.

I am not saying for you to go with him, but as far as I can find, there is no legal action against him. BTW, Thank you Victoria for the information.

On another note, has anyone ever dealt with Maya Rock at Writer's House and if so, what did you think of her?

spywriter

andrew whelchel

In my boredom, I tried to find his website, but the only website linked to him was the National Writer's Association, which advertises Self Publishing and editing services. (There was no mention of him, or any agents, but they did list a lady with his last name). Victoria? Anyone? Have you seen it and if so, am I the only one who is confused?

DaveKuzminski

Re: andrew whelchel

Spywriter, P&E generally places warnings only beside the agency listings since agents may come and go within an agency. Warnings are posted beside individual names only when it becomes apparent that those are sufficiently warranted.

As well, P&E tries to present a fair representation of the facts for both sides. If an agency has a legitimate sale to its credit, the agency deserves to have that mentioned even if P&E doesn't recommend that agency.

vstrauss

Re: andrew whelchel

Spywriter, it all seems to be part of a family operation run by the Whelchels. NWLA is an offshoot of the National Writers Association For a time it was listed on the NWA's website.

The NWA, as far as I can tell, is not a major writers' association, and seems to exist mostly as a series of local chapters plus the self-publishing service.

- Victoria

Lee Tasey

Andrew Whelchel?

Has anybody heard of this guy? He sent a letter saying he'd represent my book. Thing is, he wants 375.00 for copying/mailing fees. Is this legit?

Lee

Stace001

Re: Andrew Whelchel?

Hi Lee,

The rule of thumb is, if an agent is requesting money up front, steer clear. Their commissions are received AFTER they've sold the ms, so my advice to you would be, if he wants money up front, stay away from him. It's not a good sign.

maestrowork

Did you query him or did he contact you on his own? Anyway, I agree. If the agent asks for money up front, usually it's not a good sign.

Dhewco

Agents and fees

I can't really tell you anything about this agent. But I agree that the 375 dollar fee is fishy. That's a bit much. My agent asked for a one-time 60 dollar postage fee; but only after working with me for seven months, doing editing and proofing free of charge.

I would steer clear of an agent asking triple-digits. Heck, I would have steered clear of the 60 dollars if we hadn't had such a great working relationship.

David

spywriter

Hey Lee...

Sent you something to your EZINBOX. Good luck.

-spywriter

jmwebcenter

Andrew Whelchel Returns

Hello, I am here because like another post person, I received a contract from Andrew Whelchel. I have not signed it though. My hitch is the up front money in the hundreds of dollars range.

My 2005 Guide to Literary Agents lists him and his agency has 52 clients and made 22 sales last year. I found it odd that one of his bigger listed clients on one site, CJ Box, is now currently with Ann Rittenberg.

I also thought it strange that two days after I got his request to read the manuscript, I got one from Andrea Brown. I got his contract for representation the same day I got her rejection after reading the manuscript. Is this just a very strange coincidence?

I plan on calling him later this week and asking him some hard questions. Also, asking him some opinions on the book to make sure he actually read it. Fish for some details you could only know by reading the whole thing.

Lee Tasey

Re: Andrew Whelchel Returns

Hey, I would say pass on AW. He's sketchy.

Pavel9

I e-mailed a query to Andrew on November 10th and received a request for my manuscript the very next day. Here is the e-mailed response:

Thank you for sending your query to me. At this time I would like to request a copy of your proposed work. Please remember to include return postage, as our budget does not allow for the return of manuscripts. I also request you send a print out of this entire e-mail including your original query. All manuscripts should be unbound and double spaced. We DO NOT accept e-mail attachment submissions or text within the body of an e-mail for submissions.

Please also keep in mind that the review process can take several weeks. I do read each submission I request myself while managing the careers of up to fifty people just like you. Therefore I would ask for your patience and understanding.

Generally I do not require any type of exclusive look at a manuscript. Publishing is a business where time can seemingly stand still and I would never want to hinder anyone's chances by asking for a manuscript and keeping it for several weeks holding you back from opportunity. Feel free to submit the work to other agents, should you receive interest in the manuscript from someone else you should feel free to call us so that a decision can be made more quickly.

I look forward to reading your work and hopefully adding it to the list of fifty or so titles we place each year.

Sincerely,
Andrew J. Whelchel III
National Writers Literary Agency
3140 S, Peoria St, #295
Aurora, CO 80014
(720) 851-1959 Telephone
(720) 851-1960 FAX

I mailed it out the following week and just this weekend I received a contract - - along with the request I send him $375.00.

Either this guy is really hungry for new business or dear 'ol Andy needs some Christmas shopping money. I am going to call Andy today and ask him "Why he feels he can place my novel." I have a feeling he will feed me some bland, generic lines and will not be able to site any specifics about my work.

I will update after I call this joker.

Pavel9

www.dailynorthwestern.com...31c5f0786c

Above is a link to an article where it appears Whelchel has taken a young girl and her dreams of publication for a long sleazy ride. He claims her book will not hit shelves for another 2-3 years?

From the Article:

But the title "novelist" may be misleading -- the book, "Folklore," hasn't hit the shelves yet, and Fine's agent says he doesn't expect it to for another two to three years. It's just one of the frustrating parts of a publication process that other students at NU know all too well.

Fine's high standards and self-scrutiny are only a couple of reasons why her literary agent, Andy Whelchel, thinks she could be "the next big thing."

"I think she has an amazing amount of talent," said Whelchel, who represents about 70 clients, including several best-selling authors. "Her writing style is so mature. I really think in the long run she will be one of the better authors of her generation."

vstrauss

There's a couple of other threads about this agency, one of them from just a few days ago.

- Victoria

Pavel9

Thanks. What kind of documentation/proof does P&E require to label this Agent for what he is . . .?

DaveKuzminski

Forwarded copies of emails are a good start toward documenting any problem businesses.

spywriter

I am afraid that I agree with the panel. I thought that all agents in Writers's Market were legit, so I once defended him to the forum, but I have since learned a lot from this group. I have done some research on him and my opinion now is to RUN. One of my own experiences was with a lady at church. She can't write for anything and she sent him a query. Guess who asked for her manuscript. Actually, my research on him had led me to question quite a few agents....including my own. There are a lot out there and a lot of 'em are good. You just have to find them.

From what I understand, he doesn't have a lot of contacts. I think Victoria pointed out that he hasn't had a current sale in like 2 years. And if CJ BOX left him....kinda makes you go HMM....

Good luck to you...let us know what happens.

maestrowork

Definitely not all agents listed in Writer's Market are legit. I learned that after being contacted by Harris. I just wish Writer's Market would be able to weed out these agents from their list because seriously, I think a lot of writers treat their list as the Bible and would not even think that some of these agents could be crooks.