AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: WGA / Writers Guild of America / wga.org

frozenpenguin

WGA / Writers Guild of America / wga.org

Is there an easy way online to find out if a production company is a signatory to the WGA?

maestrowork

Re: WGA Signatories?

How about calling WGA?

1walkingadverb

Definitely email WGA, and don't take the formula response--press them for details. Chances are if they are not listed in the WGA registry, there's a problem. The first time I contacted them about a signatory agent they were vague. Only after I lodged a complaint about same did they inform me of several complants about him. If you have been burned by a particular agent or company, you can request that they strip them of their signatory status. Whether they do or not will depend on the number and seriousness of the complaints.

frozenpenguin

Thanks for the info. Called the WGA today and got my questions answered. Thanks!

Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie

A Caution About WGA

Keep in mind that WGA can only deal with the TV/film industry. It has no jurisdiction over, for example, plays; and it doesn't care. (In fact, it's not allowed to care, but that's a matter of labor and antitrust law.) Some WGA signatory agencies bend over backwards to follow the letter of the rules for dealing within that industry, and {insert graphic description of deviant sexual practices here} the writer/client for anything outside that point. It's not as rare as it should be to see WGA signatories charging substantial up-front fees and higher-than-normal commission rates to its clients when peddling books instead of scripts.

Unfortunately, too, the WGA is extremely slow to react to problems, and the less said about the integrity and speed of its system for allocating credits the better. Sadly, this is about par for the publishing and entertainment industry.
    CEP
    blawg: Scrivener's Error (includes links to main site)
    Any legal comments in this message are general commentary only, and not legal advice
    for your specific situation. You should not rely on such comments — or any other published
    comments, by me or anyone else — as anything other than general guidance.
    Unfortunately, no scam agents, vanity publishers, or other similar carrion-eaters were bent,
    folded, spindled, or mutilated in creating this post (not for want of motivation).
    Of course it's "fine print" — it's small and red.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Nor (as far as I know) does the WGA require agents to prove competence before becoming signatories. An agency can become a signatory even if it has zero sales.

- Victoria

WGA-East?

Am I incorrect in believing what I heard elsewhere, that while WGA West (west of the Mississippi) www.wga.org focuses on TV and film--“West Coast stuff,” there's also WGA East (east of the Mississippi but west of the Atlantic Ocean) www.wgae.org , which focuses on plays, novels, and periodicals--“East Coast stuff”? I've never had occasion to deal with either.

Maryn

Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie

Lightbulb WGAe

Maryn, you're partly correct. There is a WGAe, but it is not concerned with narrative forms (novels and periodicals); it is concerned only with dramatic forms. WGAw is also concerned only with dramatic forms, but restricts itself to film and TV. WGAe includes radio and live (theater) work.
    CEP
    blawg: Scrivener's Error (includes links to main site)
    Any legal comments in this message are general commentary only, and not legal advice
    for your specific situation. You should not rely on such comments — or any other published
    comments, by me or anyone else — as anything other than general guidance.
    Unfortunately, no scam agents, vanity publishers, or other similar carrion-eaters were bent,
    folded, spindled, or mutilated in creating this post (not for want of motivation).
    Of course it's "fine print" — it's small and red.

I don't think WGA in general is concerned with novels.

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
    -- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between • A Bunch of Stories
    (2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    The WGA's site is here: http://www.wga.org/

practical experience, FTW eward's Avatar
    A writer friend (more of an acquaintance, really) of mine pointed out their "Writers Guild of America, West Registry." It's "an intellectual property service." You can choose Book for your Material Type and Literary for your Intended Medium. It costs $20, and they provide "legal evidence" in cases of plagiarism and unauthorized use of your work.

http://www.wgawregistry.org/webrss/

I was under the impression (from this site lol) you don't need to copyright an unpublished manuscript. Should I tell this guy he doesn't need to do this? I don't really know him, so if this is a waste of $20, I'll have to find a way to tell him without sounding like a know-it-all haha.

Alternatively, if someone were to self-publish, should they register copyright?
    Last edited by eward; 08-05-2011 at 06:17 AM. Reason: added the link

You don't need to do this for novel MS, but for screenplays, there are some agents/agencies that won't read without the screenplay being registered with WGA (to protect both parties).

The Evergreen Newbie vikingmaiden's Avatar
    Thanks for all the great information.
    Last edited by vikingmaiden; 08-10-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
    George Orwell