I did it too thanks to PA

ACapron

Registered
Reaction score
edit

when you say that PA authors should expect little to no editing from PA editors, does that mean they misspell things on their own or if you yourself send your work in misspelled, they wont bother to correct it?

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
when you say that PA authors should expect little to no editing from PA editors, does that mean they misspell things on their own or if you yourself send your work in misspelled, they wont bother to correct it?

Yes.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
so this isn't a "bad" money stealing silly company?

Well, if you don't consider withholding royalties you earned to be bad or stealing, then I guess they're fine.

I mean, no matter what ,they still produce your finished product....better than charging you and not producing anything..right?

It's better than coming to your house and beating you with baseball bats, too. Doesn't make them good. I usually like to set my standards a little higher than "doesn't blatantly steal from me."

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score

AC
My experience was PA did run a spell check, but did misspell one word. I had the word right. I detected the error, notified them, and it was corrected. I wasn't too upset with their oversight, but afterwards noticed some syntax problems - I thought they would do more than they did. In retrospect, I would have been more thorough in my editing.

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score
so this isn't a "bad" money stealing silly company? I mean, no matter what ,they still produce your finished product....better than charging you and not producing anything..right?

AC,
Wouldn't call PA a money-stealing silly company. Would prefer to say I am currently awaiting a reply from a tradional publishing company re my second manuscript. By the way, the one dollar "advance" paid by PA is deducted from the first royalty check. Life is a good teacher. Have a wonderful day!

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
The $1.00 advances were not deducted from my first royalty checks or my last, or any in between; although my contracts stated they would be deducted from the first.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
They are supposed to be deducted, but I have never heard of any PA author whose advance was deducted from their first or any subsequent royalty check.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Mine were big enough to cover the $1.00 advance. PA did not deduct them as their contract stated they would.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
so this isn't a "bad" money stealing silly company? I mean, no matter what ,they still produce your finished product....better than charging you and not producing anything..right?

Except they do charge you. You have to buy your own books. This wouldn't be a bad thing if they'd place your books in stores, but they don't. PA is not a publisher, they're a printing house (and a lackluster one at that.) Publishers promote books and get them into stores. PA does neither.

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score

What tends to happen is that they do not bother to correct errors. They will run a spell-check, but we awl no whot thee kin due. Complex problems involving plot or structure are not addressed at all. When they do run the spell-check, there is a good chance that errors will be introduced.

Their editors must churn out several books a week, which means that they cannot possibly do the kind of thorough work that is done by editors at commercial houses.