The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Pelican Publishing Company

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar

Pelican Publishing Company

On another thread, Victoria indicated that Pelican Publishing is a vanity publisher, but I can't find any indication of that on their website. Anyone have any personal experience?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    This is the thread Julie is talking about: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...t=25249&page=2

A quick Google, however, shows me that there are at least two publishers called "Pelican Publishing," which does make me wonder if we're talking about the same folks.

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    A quick Google, however, shows me that there are at least two publishers called "Pelican Publishing," which does make me wonder if we're talking about the same folks.
    Doing a search at aap, I see only listings for Pelican International and Pelican Publishing, but the first one is a subsidiary.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I have to confess to error here.

The author on the AAA website whose books are pubbed by Pelican sent me documentation about a horrible experience she had with a vanity press called Jarrett Press & Publications Inc., of Durham, NC. Her books appear to have been subsequently placed with Pelican. I remembered her name, and when I saw it on the AAA website, my brain made the wrong connection. It's my policy to check my files before posting something, but in this case I obviously didn't.

So the publisher I was thinking of was Jarrett, not Pelican. As far as I know, Pelican is NOT a vanity publisher. I've gone back to my original post and corrected it, in case someone sees that post and not this one.

Thanks for calling me on this, Julie--I'm glad to have the chance to make the correction.

- Victoria
    Last edited by victoriastrauss; 02-22-2007 at 09:44 PM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Updating link to Pelican Publishing Co.: http://pelicanpub.com/

And noting for the sake of completeness that http://www.pelicanpublishing.com/index.html is a music production company (with no activity since 2006).
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

figuring it all out
    Has anyone had any recent experience with this publisher?