Hi all. I wanted to ask for your opinions on something. In my novel, I frequently use the word "moans" in the following ways:
- "Mmmm," she moans, "What time is it?"
- "I didn't know what to say," she says, then she moans sadly...
- Feeling touched, they both moan...
- "Mmmm," she moans with delight, "That's beautiful."
So, I was just wondering if you think "moans" is the right word, or if it means something else to you. Someone here at home commented that every time they came across the word "moans", it bothered them, and thought it should be replaced by "says."
So, some instances would become:
- "Mmmm," she says, "What time is it?"
- "I didn't know what to say," she says, then sadly adds, "Mmmm."
- Feeling touched, they both say, "Mmmm..."
- "Mmmm," she says with delight, "That's beautiful."
What do you think? When you read it here, does it sound right? To me, personally, it sounds perfect in the former usage, but I'm not everyone, so I need to check what other people think.