• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Denise Shannon Literary Agency

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Bueller?

Bueller?

Guess not. :)

Looks like a solid agency. Best of luck!

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks CaoPaux. I must do a really good check on what the 'boutique' includes.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Well, in the FWIW department--I just read in this week's Publisher's Weekly that The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle is supposed to be THE next indie press release. Sort of The Kite Runner, version 2007. The blurb from PW was "After 25 years of reading four books a week, nothing compares to a first novel that has "it": that dazzling ability to create a world so real, it is true and because of it we are changed." The publisher is doing a full court press on the release. If she's indeed the agent, she's about to become GOLD. Snag her now if you can. :)

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Cathy. I might just give it a try. Who knows, the worst she can say is NO!

hawk

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Cathy. I might just give it a try. Who knows, the worst she can say is NO!
Hey, Carmy, what ever happened? Since it has been so long since this post, can anyone update me on Denise Shannon? ~ hawk

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
Any new info? Anyone with experience with the agency? At Query Tracker I noticed it seems pretty much everyone gets a rejection. I'm getting, from their upcoming project list, that they're into more literary than commercial. I also found this:

This New York-based agency has a reputation for working with newcomers and is looking for the freshest voices in publishing.

Number of agents: Two
Number of clients: About 40
Notable clients: The Russian Debutante's Handbook author Gary Shteyngart, National Book Award finalist and Harper's contributing editor Francine Prose, fiction writer and MacArthur fellow Lydia Davis, and international bestselling author Samuel Huntington, author of The Clash of Civilizations.
Percentage of unsolicited material accepted: Less than one percent, says Shannon, "if you're really talking about things that just come in over the transom. But that may be because I do have a website and I get a lot of stuff that's totally inappropriate. Of the categories that I represent,...

(And yes, it does the "..." trailing off, but I can't find the rest of the quote. There's no link there to expand it. I even tried googling it. *shrug*)

a. climacus

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm waiting on a reply from the beginning of February, but according to QueryTracker she's dished out plenty of rejections since then.

a. climacus

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to think we made it past her assistant or something, PastMidnight, since it doesn't appear she's asked for any pages of late, but there are plenty of gaps in her data.

Maybe requery in 3-6 months?

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I'd like to think we made it past her assistant or something, PastMidnight, since it doesn't appear she's asked for any pages of late, but there are plenty of gaps in her data.

Maybe requery in 3-6 months?

:D That's positive thinking! But a requery wouldn't be out of order in a while, since it seems like she does respond to everything. With all the tweaking I've been doing, it'll be a fresher work I'll be querying this time.

a. climacus

Registered
Reaction score
It's more delusional than positive, but I'll take any delusions I can get during this stage of the process.

foliogal

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had query experience with Lea Beresford at this agency?

foliogal

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Octavia. At least she didn't leave you hanging.

Seikei

Registered
Reaction score
Long Wait

I queried her August 4 and haven't heard anything. Good news? Or bad? I think the latter. I hate the fact that so many agents simply never reply, even though you could do it in a second with a form email.