The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denise Shannon Literary Agency

banned as an incurable tosspot

Denise Shannon Literary Agency

The site looks great and her sales are impressive. Has anyone worked with her? Any and all information appreciated.

http://www.deniseshannonagency.com/index.htm

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Bueller?

Bueller?

Guess not.

Looks like a solid agency. Best of luck!
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Thanks CaoPaux. I must do a really good check on what the 'boutique' includes.

Ooo! Shiny new cover! Absolute Sage Cathy C's Avatar
    Well, in the FWIW department--I just read in this week's Publisher's Weekly that The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle is supposed to be THE next indie press release. Sort of The Kite Runner, version 2007. The blurb from PW was "After 25 years of reading four books a week, nothing compares to a first novel that has "it": that dazzling ability to create a world so real, it is true and because of it we are changed." The publisher is doing a full court press on the release. If she's indeed the agent, she's about to become GOLD. Snag her now if you can.
    Want FREE reads? Click here!

Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    USA Today bestselling author
    ILLICIT, coming 7/16!
    My Website
    Follow me: Twitter
    Now on Facebook! Come friend me!

"An entertaining (and occasionally very dark) mystery." -- Locus

"[Shapeshifter] fans are about to hit the jackpot as Clamp returns to re-energize this amazing series. Searching for layered plotlines and complex characters? Look no further, as Clamp truly delivers!" -- RT BookReviews

"Cathy Clamp is a visionary author, creating new worlds that are both strong and vividly drawn. Adventure and excitement at its best." -- Yasmine Galenorn, New York Times Bestselling Author

"A struggling community under attack, compelling action, characters struggling with dark secrets ... FORBIDDEN hit all my favorite notes, and I love the rich world of the Sazi!" - Rachel Caine, New York Times Bestselling Author

Thanks for the info, Cathy. I might just give it a try. Who knows, the worst she can say is NO!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin hawk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmy View Post
    Thanks for the info, Cathy. I might just give it a try. Who knows, the worst she can say is NO!
    Hey, Carmy, what ever happened? Since it has been so long since this post, can anyone update me on Denise Shannon? ~ hawk

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Check her site for any recent sales
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

writing when not teaching
    I just queried Denise Shannon--she reps, among others, Sloane Crosley and Francine Prose.

http://www.deniseshannonagency.com/news.htm
    The Many Stony and Wild Things: Adult literary fiction, 117K, currently looking for an agent.

Chain of Paper Stars (new title):Young adult fiction. Goal: 60K by September 2, 2009. (18K in)

figuring it all out
    Any new info? Anyone with experience with the agency? At Query Tracker I noticed it seems pretty much everyone gets a rejection. I'm getting, from their upcoming project list, that they're into more literary than commercial. I also found this:

This New York-based agency has a reputation for working with newcomers and is looking for the freshest voices in publishing.

Number of agents: Two
    Number of clients: About 40
    Notable clients: The Russian Debutante's Handbook author Gary Shteyngart, National Book Award finalist and Harper's contributing editor Francine Prose, fiction writer and MacArthur fellow Lydia Davis, and international bestselling author Samuel Huntington, author of The Clash of Civilizations.
    Percentage of unsolicited material accepted: Less than one percent, says Shannon, "if you're really talking about things that just come in over the transom. But that may be because I do have a website and I get a lot of stuff that's totally inappropriate. Of the categories that I represent,...

(And yes, it does the "..." trailing off, but I can't find the rest of the quote. There's no link there to expand it. I even tried googling it. *shrug*)

On Query Tracker it looks like Denise Shannon is a quick response, but I'm still waiting on a query from the beginning of January. Has anyone had contact with her more recently?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Yeah, I'm waiting on a reply from the beginning of February, but according to QueryTracker she's dished out plenty of rejections since then.

I noticed that too, a.climacus.

I'd like to think we made it past her assistant or something, PastMidnight, since it doesn't appear she's asked for any pages of late, but there are plenty of gaps in her data.

Maybe requery in 3-6 months?

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    Queried February 20th, received form rejection February 24th.

Quote Originally Posted by a. climacus View Post
    I'd like to think we made it past her assistant or something, PastMidnight, since it doesn't appear she's asked for any pages of late, but there are plenty of gaps in her data.

Maybe requery in 3-6 months?
    That's positive thinking! But a requery wouldn't be out of order in a while, since it seems like she does respond to everything. With all the tweaking I've been doing, it'll be a fresher work I'll be querying this time.

It's more delusional than positive, but I'll take any delusions I can get during this stage of the process.

figuring it all out
    Has anyone had query experience with Lea Beresford at this agency?

Queried Lea yesterday, form R today. So, fast.

"The point is not to take the world's opinion as a guiding star,
    but to go one's way in life and to work unfalteringly
    neither depressed by failure nor seduced by applause."
    -Gustav Mahler

figuring it all out
    Thanks for the info, Octavia. At least she didn't leave you hanging.

I got soul but I'm not a soldier :) BrigidGH's Avatar
    I queried Denise on 7/13 and got a request for the first chapter on 7/20 from Ellen Twaddell.
    I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.
    ― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

---------

My Blog

My Twitter

practical experience, FTW kidcharlemagne's Avatar
    I got a form rejection on my query 5 days after sending it.
    "What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

practical experience, FTW pavtbr's Avatar
    EQ - 7/9/12 (Historical Fiction)
    ER - 7/17/12 (form letter)

practical experience, FTW
    Queried in mid-November, rejection 3 weeks later.

I write in bed.
    Queried May 26
    Rejection June 7 :-(

Long Wait

I queried her August 4 and haven't heard anything. Good news? Or bad? I think the latter. I hate the fact that so many agents simply never reply, even though you could do it in a second with a form email.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast