• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Writer Beware: "Two Thumbs Down" Publisher List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Ok, thanks! Can we do it anonymously?

Taken directly from the Writer Beware web site ( http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writer-beware/about/):

We cannot accept anonymous complaints, complaints that don’t name the individual or company, or second-hand complaints (i.e., your report of your friend’s bad experience with his publisher–your friend needs to contact us himself). Any documentation you send must be original and complete (i.e., send us the entire email, not cut-and-pasted text).

However:

Correspondence and documentation sent to Writer Beware is held in strict confidence. Your name and contact information will never be shared, publicly posted, or otherwise disclosed except to appropriate law enforcement agencies, in response to an enforceable subpoena, or as directed by counsel.​

If you have concerns, please write to Victoria at the above address. Strict confidence means exactly that.

gordo

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone tell me anything about Laughing Lune Press?

writeontime

Why so serious?
Registered
Reaction score
This is a very helpful list - thanks so much for putting it together!

Oh, and I've bookmarked the Writer Beware site too. Thanks for the link, by the way.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting ideed, thanks! I don't know anything about American or British publishers and since I'd like to publish my current project, this is very helpful!

There is this German publisher who's also stooping down to a new low: Now you have to upload your work to their e-book website and have visitors rate and review it instead of the staff themselves. Whatever the reviewers rated best, gets a fighting chance. Meaning, if you create something awful but 500 friends and family and facebook contact gave you 5 stars, you get published....
Very sad one of the Big Six is now doing this same thing with a young adult line. I suppose that might be a topic for another thread though.

DWBPublishing

Author, Editor, Publisher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariemcgaha.com
Just a comment...

I'll review the contract to be certain, but I do believe I do control the publishing rights, as well. We'll see.

Again, thanks for the comments. I'll chart something out from here.

Generally, if you ask to be released from your contract and explain why, it shouldn't be a problem. I had over 20 books with 9 different publishers, and when I asked to be released from my contracts, only 1 balked. My reasons for wanting the releases were not because the pubs were black listed, except the one who refused, (Noble Romance Publishing -- do not use this publisher), but all were gracious and understanding.

So start there, a simple request for release of contract. You'll be surprised at what a polite, reasonable request will get you!

Marie McGaha

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I probably shouldn't have said "the same thing" but Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group "Swoon Romance "Young Adult line is acquiring manuscripts through "crowd sourcing." http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-industry-news/article/55210-swoon-reads-introduces-crowdsourced-publishing-model.html
My impression is that it's an experimental program. I haven't seen any compelling reasons to believe it'll work better than previous attempts to use that model.

authoremilywalker

Registered
Reaction score
UGH! I got an email requesting my ms from SBPRA/Strategic Book Publishing/Eloquent Books this morning. No thank you!! Thanks Water Cooler!

elfletcherauthor

Registered
Reaction score
I waited out my 7 year contract and rewrote the second book into the first one and put them on Amazon, under the original title with the inside cover having a disclaimer, that it was previously published as two books, and that I writer makes mistakes and who the publisher was. So now it is only available as an E.book. But my next ones will just accept all of the rejections until I find the publisher that is right for my story.

smenders2

Registered
Reaction score
I clicked the link to the "Two Thumbs Down Publishers List" and it took me here. But, I see no list. I'm vetting 5-star Publishing; it looks as if it's a vanity press.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

mschmidt

Registered
Reaction score
I sent an email to Victoria in regards to RamRamPublishing / Rambunctious Ramblings Inc (RRPI) in regards to this post I made: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/sho...mPublishing-Rambunctious-Ramblings-Publishing

My blog post with more information is here: https://millieschmidt.wordpress.com/2016/08/15/publishing-journey-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/

I just noticed that while dumping me and a few other authors, the Managing director was still fielding submissions from #pit2pub !! Argh this guy is unbelievable on soooo many levels...

Status
Not open for further replies.