AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Writer Beware: "Two Thumbs Down" Publisher List

JGoldberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin Justice View Post
    Oh man now I feel really bad. PublishAmerica just sent me a rejection email. God I can't even get accepted by them. I must suck lol.

Have a great day,
    Never feel bad about yourself, Raistlin! *THEY* missed out.

Empirical Storm Trooper MadScientistMatt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
    Any publisher that is approaches you instead of you approaching them is 99.99% certainty a scam. (The other .01% is ignorance.) They don't know you, and they don't want to - they want your money.

And welcome to Absolute Write. It's a good learning place.
    Just saw this note, and I wanted to mention something: There are a few times in the nonfiction world where a publisher might approach an author. This would generally be if they needed a book on a particular topic, and don't already have contact with an expert on that topic. In this case, an editor might go searching for an expert to write a book they need in their lineup. Such a thing is pretty much unheard-of in fiction, although I suppose best-selling authors may sometimes have this happen to them.

I just took a look at this blog - it is a terrific resource. If it were up to me, I owuld add a name or two, but I don't really know how extensive some of these faults would be (just me or ALL writers)

Thanks for the post!
    Chelle Cordero
    combining Passion & Suspense

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin lisanevin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCE View Post
    If it were up to me, I owuld add a name or two,
    why isn't it up to you to add or name or two?
    but I don't really know how extensive some of these faults would be (just me or ALL writers)
    What do you mean. The faults would be as extensive as people care to write about, although I recommend they keep the details down to whatever they have proof to back up.

There's another section where people mention publishers and their experiences. Bewares and Background checks is the subcategory:
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

I posted details of my experience with my publisher on the site. I had to work hard to keep to the facts and keep my emotions out of it!
    Lisa
    www.lisanevin.com
    lisanevin.blogspot.com
    Author: Into This Mind

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientistMatt View Post
    Just saw this note, and I wanted to mention something: There are a few times in the nonfiction world where a publisher might approach an author. This would generally be if they needed a book on a particular topic, and don't already have contact with an expert on that topic. In this case, an editor might go searching for an expert to write a book they need in their lineup. Such a thing is pretty much unheard-of in fiction, although I suppose best-selling authors may sometimes have this happen to them.
    Hearsay alert - I heard an agent approached Scott Lynch after reading the (brilliant) first pages of The Lies of Locke Lamora on his website. I for one am grateful.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Ohh, thanks so much for posting this.

A Bookish Traveler TrishaHaddad's Avatar
    What a great list! Thanks! (And so glad to see that the publisher that is pubbing my book is not on there!) :-)

Deep Green
    YA fiction by Trisha Haddad

Visit my website to find out where to buy!

permaflounced
    I was approached by a large multinational publishing house after they'd seen a sample of my writing on a critique blog. The editor "liked my voice" and invited me to send them something. My agent and I are in that process now.

It doesn't happen often, and mine is a niche market, but it does happen. I'm tickled and humbled that I got such an e-mail.

This will be handy. Thank!

...Though I'm a little surprised Helm's on the list. I thougt they were a good company. Ya just never know.
    Last edited by SammyW; 08-20-2008 at 03:08 AM.

Empirical Storm Trooper MadScientistMatt's Avatar
    They're not the same Helm that publishes auto repair manuals, which is a serious niche publisher.

A Headstone for Nellie

Many moons ago I submitted my first novel, now published by Authorhouse, to PA...I am so glad I listened to my innerself not to go with them. I have had a good experience with Authorhouse. Has anyone out there in AW not? Any posts would be very appreciated because I am considering another publisher for my next piece of work. JeniE

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin playdatemom's Avatar

Another great list.

I wish I had this information a few months ago. I sent a proposal to two of them. Thanks for the list.
    Jo
    a writer of real life stories

I clicked the link in the start of this thread and it went to a blank blog (I think). Maybe this thread should be un-stickied, since it doesn't pertain to what it says any longer.

Or maybe I'm the one that needs to be unstuck. Just trying to help (and read a lot of old posts).

It isn't blank, but the text is the same color as the background. If you highlight it, you'll see it's all there.

I know they've been working on a new template, so perhaps they'll get the bugs worked out soon.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Fortunately, it looks like just that post is ghosty. I'll ping Victoria to let her know.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by JulieB View Post
    It isn't blank, but the text is the same color as the background. If you highlight it, you'll see it's all there.

I know they've been working on a new template, so perhaps they'll get the bugs worked out soon.
    Aha!

Thanks

Hey, I'm just glad to know the information is still there!

I'm sure they'll get the kinks in the new template worked out soon.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Thomas Scot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Lovely. I've book marked the sight. Thanks.

Tough-skinned Newbie
    Wonderful resource. Thanks!

What is a legitimate royalty payment a publisher should offer a (new) writer for their work?

If a publishing house only means of distribution is the internet, is that good?

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean View Post
    What is a legitimate royalty payment a publisher should offer a (new) writer for their work?
    Whatever it is, it should probably be on gross and not net.

Quote Originally Posted by dean View Post
    If a publishing house only means of distribution is the internet, is that good?
    Unless they're an ebook publisher, the answer is a big NO.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

publisher list

Another way to verify your publisher is to log on to Better Business Bureau or bbb.org. The website features ratings, reports, reviews, and complaints about almost all types of companies.

http://spnbabble.sitepronews.com/bookwhirl

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Another way to verify your publisher is to log on to Better Business Bureau or bbb.org
    You're kidding, right?

The BBB is useless for detecting bogus literary operations.

I know of scam agents who had flawless records with the BBB on the day the police came by to box up everything in their offices for evidence.

If a publisher or agent has a BBB logo on their webpage, I consider it to be a red flag.
    Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 11-26-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast