• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Writer Beware: "Two Thumbs Down" Publisher List

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Any publisher that is approaches you instead of you approaching them is 99.99% certainty a scam. (The other .01% is ignorance.) They don't know you, and they don't want to - they want your money.

And welcome to Absolute Write. It's a good learning place. :welcome:

Just saw this note, and I wanted to mention something: There are a few times in the nonfiction world where a publisher might approach an author. This would generally be if they needed a book on a particular topic, and don't already have contact with an expert on that topic. In this case, an editor might go searching for an expert to write a book they need in their lineup. Such a thing is pretty much unheard-of in fiction, although I suppose best-selling authors may sometimes have this happen to them.

CCE

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I just took a look at this blog - it is a terrific resource. If it were up to me, I owuld add a name or two, but I don't really know how extensive some of these faults would be (just me or ALL writers)

Thanks for the post!

lisanevin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisanevin.com
If it were up to me, I owuld add a name or two,

why isn't it up to you to add or name or two?
but I don't really know how extensive some of these faults would be (just me or ALL writers)

What do you mean. The faults would be as extensive as people care to write about, although I recommend they keep the details down to whatever they have proof to back up.

There's another section where people mention publishers and their experiences. Bewares and Background checks is the subcategory:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

I posted details of my experience with my publisher on the site. I had to work hard to keep to the facts and keep my emotions out of it!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw this note, and I wanted to mention something: There are a few times in the nonfiction world where a publisher might approach an author. This would generally be if they needed a book on a particular topic, and don't already have contact with an expert on that topic. In this case, an editor might go searching for an expert to write a book they need in their lineup. Such a thing is pretty much unheard-of in fiction, although I suppose best-selling authors may sometimes have this happen to them.

Hearsay alert - I heard an agent approached Scott Lynch after reading the (brilliant) first pages of The Lies of Locke Lamora on his website. I for one am grateful. :tongue

TrishaHaddad

A Bookish Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishahaddad.com
What a great list! Thanks! (And so glad to see that the publisher that is pubbing my book is not on there!) :)

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I was approached by a large multinational publishing house after they'd seen a sample of my writing on a critique blog. The editor "liked my voice" and invited me to send them something. My agent and I are in that process now.

It doesn't happen often, and mine is a niche market, but it does happen. I'm tickled and humbled that I got such an e-mail.

SammyW

Registered
Reaction score
This will be handy. Thank!

...Though I'm a little surprised Helm's on the list. I thougt they were a good company. Ya just never know.

Last edited:

Virginia Edmonds

Registered
Reaction score
A Headstone for Nellie

Many moons ago I submitted my first novel, now published by Authorhouse, to PA...I am so glad I listened to my innerself not to go with them. I have had a good experience with Authorhouse. Has anyone out there in AW not? Any posts would be very appreciated because I am considering another publisher for my next piece of work. JeniE

playdatemom

Registered
Reaction score
Another great list.

I wish I had this information a few months ago. I sent a proposal to two of them. Thanks for the list.

ChessSafari

Don't Ever Quit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twchesssafari.blogspot.com
I clicked the link in the start of this thread and it went to a blank blog (I think). Maybe this thread should be un-stickied, since it doesn't pertain to what it says any longer.

Or maybe I'm the one that needs to be unstuck. Just trying to help (and read a lot of old posts).

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't blank, but the text is the same color as the background. If you highlight it, you'll see it's all there.

I know they've been working on a new template, so perhaps they'll get the bugs worked out soon.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Fortunately, it looks like just that post is ghosty. I'll ping Victoria to let her know. :Hammer:

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm just glad to know the information is still there!

I'm sure they'll get the kinks in the new template worked out soon.

dean

Registered
Reaction score
What is a legitimate royalty payment a publisher should offer a (new) writer for their work?

dean

Registered
Reaction score
If a publishing house only means of distribution is the internet, is that good?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
What is a legitimate royalty payment a publisher should offer a (new) writer for their work?

Whatever it is, it should probably be on gross and not net.

If a publishing house only means of distribution is the internet, is that good?

Unless they're an ebook publisher, the answer is a big NO.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Another way to verify your publisher is to log on to Better Business Bureau or bbb.org

You're kidding, right?

The BBB is useless for detecting bogus literary operations.

I know of scam agents who had flawless records with the BBB on the day the police came by to box up everything in their offices for evidence.

If a publisher or agent has a BBB logo on their webpage, I consider it to be a red flag.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.