Women: Do you need your purse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
I frickin' bite my nails -- and wash my hands almost compulsively. Doesn't do me any good -- my li'l shovels are still dirtier than any of the Neglected Manicure Goddesses'. It's probably 'cause I've got bad karma. (And if I don't let this go gracefully, I'll probably end up with a lot more. So if I post in this thread again -- please feel free to slap some virtual duct tape over my virtual mouth :Ssh:)

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Mom doesn't carry a purse. But she has to make sure her pants have pockets. She doesn't wear jeans. A surprising number of women's pants don't have pockets, I suppose because we carry purses. I don't know about her menstral needs. I suppose she carries one in her pocket.

To contrast, I carry a large bag, complete with Ibuprophen, Tylonal, Gas-X, Sinus meds, chapstick, band aids, wipes, purell, etc, a legal pad, a wallet, check book, and various magazines/books, pens and spare keys and I am sure more stuff....business cards, gum, cough drops... (Man! I need to clean out my bag.) Those hand wipes fromBuffalo wild wings, stain remover. Change. lint. bills. Calculator. CELLPHONE.
2) Do you NEED access to menstrual gear when you're on the go?
I use a keeper, so I don't carry that stuff. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

wordsmyth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maryevelynlewis.com
Very very interesting responses. Only two women in the whole group indicated they carried makeup with them. I admit, I skimmed, so I may have missed someone along the way.

The only makeup I carry with me is lipbalm. And I don't ever wear much makeup in the first place. It makes my skin break out. :(

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I learned something new today. They look a little freaky.
One of the best things I ever bought. I googled tampon one day when I was just sick and tired of have chafed skin. It is so much better liberating. i could go on. My hubby likes it too, he never gets sent to the store to buy women things.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I carry not one, but two purses. I have an enormous tote bag with everything I could possibly need. It's long enough to hold a legal pad. I also carry a much smaller purse with the basics. If I leave the office for lunch, I'll just grab the little purse. When I go places with my dogs or to the soccer fields, I use a fanny pack to keep my hands free.

Raiyah

Shopaholic
Registered
Reaction score
Are you kidding? I'd go crazy without a purse!!!! If I didn't have a purse where would I put my wallet, cellphone, makeup, mints, pictures, notepad, pens, hair accessories, and water bottle. I mean, these are all really important things.

But seriously, I need my purse as a part of my wardrobe. It's like walking out of the house without your shoes or something.

Also, I'm not weird so I don't carry my tampons and stuff wherever I go, if it's around that time of month, then yes.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
When I lived in NZ I often went to work barefoot. When I moved to the US I found they won't even let you into a supermarket without shoes in case you sue them for injuries.

[/digression]

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
2) You don't have to worrying about getting blood under your fingernails. 'Sides, I always wash my hands after seeing to my ladies' grumpytime insertions anyway. :D

For some reason, this particular line of conversation actually makes me glad I can't use tampons...LOL

Raiyah

Shopaholic
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I do! They get married and coerce their wives into carrying all their junk.

Oh my God! Seriously whenever me and my husband go out anywhere he stops me and first hands me the car key, his wallet, his cell phone, sometimes even lip balm. Seriously, gucci bags aren't meant to be used in such a way!!!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I have a large purse that I use primarily for carrying books, magazines, and my laptop as well as a legal pad of paper and a pen. Mostly when I got out I just carry my wallet in a coat pocket. It has every card I could possibly need. Cash goes in the pants pockets with the chapstick, and I have tampons in the car in case of emergency (although I won't need those for a while!!)

ETA: I forgot to mention that I am forgetful and likely to leave my purse... somewhere. Since I can get away without it, I usually do. When I do need it, the laptop's presence (the only reason I ever need my purse) keeps me stressed enough to keep it close to hand.

Last edited:

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
Those who carry everything in their pockets...how do you remember to take everything out, put it in the next outfit, etc.? Whereas if you have everything in a handbag, you just pick it up and go. I was brought up to never put anything in your pockets (except maybe a tissue) because it spoils the line of the garment.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Those who carry everything in their pockets...how do you remember to take everything out, put it in the next outfit, etc.? Whereas if you have everything in a handbag, you just pick it up and go. I was brought up to never put anything in your pockets (except maybe a tissue) because it spoils the line of the garment.

Usually they're in my jacket pockets, and I wear the same jacket 99% of the time. During the summer, they're in the pockets of my shorts, and I always take them out and put them on my night table when I'm changing clothes. I can't go anywhere without my keys, so my cell phone and wallet sit next to my keys. I usually do a last second "do I have everything?" before I leave the house. It's really just such an ingrained habit that remembering to take them is like remembering to brush my teeth or put my shoes on.

I always keep my "female" products in my car anyway, just in case I forget to put them in my pocket. I MUST have them all the time, because I'm not on any kind of schedule (grrrr....), but usually, by the time I need them, I'm in so much pain that I don't leave the house anyway, so it becomes a moot point. LOL

wordsmyth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maryevelynlewis.com

It's become habit to clean out my pockets. I have even trained the kids to clean out their pants pockets, by telling them any money found in the dryer is mine. :e2tongue:

As for spoiling the line of the garment, my typical daily uniform is a camisole style tanktop, t-shirt (usually black), a button down shirt or sweater if it's chilly, a pair of loose fit Levi's jeans and cowboy boots (brown). I have long dark hair with many white streaks, pulled back from my face with a barrette, and a pair of beat up Nicole Miller half frame glasses. I'm a work at home mother of four, so I don't spend a lot of time or money on my appearance.

Now, if I'm going out, that's another story. I take full advantage of dressing up, doing a little bit of makeup, and carrying my Coach purse I purchased for $2 dollars at a thrift store. :D

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Pocket use is pretty simple. I carry very little. I wear mainly jeans tight enough that any line thay have is mine not theirs. I empty the pocket and put contents on the bathroom unit before removing them to avoid having them fall out during undressing and roll under something or stay in there and end up in the washung machine. In the morning I dress in the same place so it is all right there.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Mr. Groove (my husband for those who don't know me....) takes his stuff out of his pockets as soon as he walks in the door. He has a drawer in the foyer table with all his pocket stuff. I don't have the presence of mind to do this for some reason.

ETA: My dad does the same thing. I keep finding similarities between the two men. ;)

Last edited:

startwearingpurple

wild crazy curves of me.
Registered
Reaction score
I need one beacuse womans clothes tend not to cater for everything i need to carry (mobile phone, keys, tampons ect., wallet, mp3 player, sketchpad, pencils, lipbalm/gloss, tissues, inhalers, the list goes on) beacuse womans jeans and pants have smaller pockets-skirts and dresses none at all. so ya i need a bag for everything i need to get through a day.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I was brought up to never put anything in your pockets (except maybe a tissue) because it spoils the line of the garment.

I live in jeans and a Smith College sweatshirt. Spoiling the lines of the garment is not so much an issue.:D

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
My purse is actully a red laptop bag from IKEA. I like to carry notebooks, pens, lip balm, a book, my wallet, keys and anything else I think I may need. My boyfriend asks me if I need it whenever we leave the house. I do. I also have children but I don't let thier crap invade my bag. They have thier own.

When I was in college I carried no purse and kept my id, atm, and card key in my back pocket. My chapstick in my front pocket, pens in my hair. The cards actully took the curve of my butt. I can't decide if that's sexy or just TMI.

Dario D.

Thank you very much for the replies, all :)

3 pages already... wow! I just posted this last night. With all this insight, I could write the purse/handbag encyclopedia :D

---

For those who have asked, the character I'm working on is very self-perfectionist, and has many thought-out reformist qualities (such as not eating fast food, exercising every day, not carrying a purse, studying how to raise a family long before she has one, not using makeup, waiting until she's found the perfect man before getting involved, etc). It's just part of her character to be very critical and analytical of every aspect of life, and have a deliberate reason and point of view for everything she does.

---

Well, thanks for the invaluable insight and for taking the time to post. I also learned a lot about the intricacies of women's day-to-day lives from reading through this thread (I see that many purse/handbag items tell a story of what women think about life or themselves... like carrying chocolates, or a mirror; two things that took me by surprise, though I understand them both). So, thanks again, all. :) It's been quite the learning experience.

Aesposito

Registered
Reaction score
If you have room for one more opinion.....

I don't carry a purse. I tend to throw my drivers license, spare change, key and cellphone in my pockets before going anywhere, and I'm one of those women who always makes sure the pants and coats she buys has pockets.

When I desperately need to use a checkbook or credit card, I grab my Daytimer, which has all that stuff in it.

I carried a purse when my kids were younger. Made it easier to tote tissues, half-eaten lollipops, etc. But now it's just another thing to lose or leave behind.

As for tampons, I keep a supply at work. Maybe it's just me, but although I'm not regular, I've always known when my period is coming due to changes in boobs, zits, tummy, etc..... so I've never felt a need to stockpile any in my purse or car.

Audrey

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
I carry my handbag at all times. Its utility in transporting maxi pads is of minimal relevance; probably 90% of the time I have no "menstrual gear" in the handbag. I have money/cards, makeup, a little notebook, my cell phone, very often a book I'm reading and/or my day planner, and approximately forty pens and highlighters in various colors. And cough drops, and keys, and gum, and whatever little items I may have purchased during the day (or the previous day but I forgot to take them out), and a tiny light used for reading books in the dark, and some recent mail, and my iPod, and mystical healing crystals, and god knows what else.

So obviously, since you're getting different responses here, the choice is up to you as to whether your character carries hers. Remember, though, she may have a pseudo-handbag: students carry backpacks or some other bag, so women students may just throw all the normal purse items into that; mothers lug around diaper bags, and sometimes all their purse stuff goes into the pockets of it. Also, some women--those who are on the go a lot, driving different places several times a day--may use their cars as purses. I mean, all their stuff--lipstick, hairbrushes, a couple of books she's currently reading, cell phone, day planner, etc. etc.--may just be tossed in the car.

Stephanie_Gunn

Creatrix
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniegunn.com
I can't live without my handbag. I need my purse, mp3 player, mobile phone and a book. Can you tell I catch public transport everywhere and need entertainment?

As for tampons and pads...heh, Divacup all the way :)

tela

Registered
Reaction score
Need? 90% of the time I could get along fine with out one. But why would I do that? I love my handbag/purse/pocketbook. I have a closet full of thema nd change my handbag to match my outfit. It hold my keys, checkbook, photos make up and all the normal things as well as a 10 in 1 tool, bills, receipts tape measure and my prescriptions. It's teh one thing that is mine and mine alone. No one touches my handbag, EVER.

Also if I put anything bigger than a gum wrapper in my pockets after an hour I literally cannot feel my leg from the hip to the knee. Makes walking a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.