• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Holding the Copyright

eaglelady11

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I realize I am new, but I do have a question. I submitted a story through craigslist and got a repsonse back. The guy sent me a contract, but in the contract, it says his company keeps the trademark and that I cannot publish it elsewhere.

I am leary of signing it, because i want to be able to market this story down the road.

What do you think?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Did the contract say "trademark" or "copyright"? They're vastly different things.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
A trademark is something that uniquely identifies an organization, its products, or its services. It can be a logo, a name, a phrase, an image, or any combination of these.

Copyright is the ownership of intellectual property--i.e., you own your written work and have the right to grant others the ability to publish, sell, or otherwise exploit it.

Someone who doesn't know the difference between a copyright and a trademark shouldn't be publishing anything.

- Victoria

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
victoriastrauss is correct. Do NOT sign the contract. The "publisher" sounds like bad news.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds definitely fishy. Did you ever deal directly with this guy or was it all via Craigslist emails? Did he mail you a contract? Do have have contact info for this guy?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Could it be that the OP wrote a story using a trademarked character or world owned by the Craigslist guy and that's why he wanted to retain the trademark?

eaglelady11

Registered
Reaction score
I walked away. He would hold the trademark to the character. thanks for your help.