• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Mundania Press / PhazE / New Classics Press

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'll ask the publisher direct.
That is what the guidelines are for, so you have all the info and will not keep emailing them. It is best to give them a few months, then send to someone else. I think alot of new writers have this problem, they want an answer right away and usually it is the scam artists who give you a quick, we love it-answer.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
Birol said:
Jennifer, ease up.

Aconite did not address you or anyone directly when suggesting that some posts were veering off-topic. In fact, she specifically responded to you indicating that was "on-topic."

She was not chastising anyone with her comment, but providing a gentle reminder that there was an under-utilized forum for such indepth discussions about the technical intricacies of different word processing software.

Okay, I guess I'm a little touchy today.

I only sent one email to Mundania so far and that was today. They responded right away and told me my manuscript is there and will be reviewed. It may be another month or so, but they will get back to me.I sent them my work over 2 months ago.

That was all I really wanted to know. I have no intentions to email them any more. I think it is nice if the publisher lets you know that they have received you work or not. I hadnot gotten anything from them in the way of confirmation so I was a little concerned.
Others had sent me a message that they received my work.

Jennifer

Harris

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a novel in Jan of this year. No word yet. Still waiting. :)

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
still waiting

It's been almost four months since I submited my manuscript and have not heard a word. I understand that even when you do get word, good word, you may not have your book out for two years from then. I have sent it out to others and if I get something with one of them, I will cancel my submission with Mundania. I can't belive it should take this long. (since Jan of this year?) Oh dear!!!!!

Jennifer Robins

Last edited:

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Jennifer Robins said:
It's been almost four months since I submited my manuscript and have not heard a word. I understand that even when you do get word, good word, you may not have your book out for two years from then. I have sent it out to others and if I get something with one of them, I will cancel my submission with Mundania. I can't belive it should take this long. (since Jan of this year?) Oh dear!!!!!

Jennifer Robins

Book publishing isn't a swift business. Check out some of the major publishers upcoming titles lists and you'll see that the publishing line up is many months and sometimes years ahead! Sad but true - we all crave quick recognition.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I don't think you'll find any respectable publisher who will guarantee your work will be published in less than a year, honestly...

I'm sure Mundania will understand if you get an offer and have to recind your application, but I doubt anyone is going to promise to have your book out in less than two years.

Mark Wakely

Still working on that second novel
Registered
Reaction score
I signed my contract for An Audience for Einstein with Mundania in early November 2004. The paperback and ebook edition appeared at the end of January 2005.

Fifteen months did not seem excessive to me. During that time, I had input on the cover art and went back and forth with the artist to settle on the final design. I also work with my editor at Mundania to change punctuation (and other formatting issues) to meet Mundania's style requirements and "argue" other changes. (Really, the whole process was relatively painless.) The worse sticking points were a few word choices where we both refused to budge. In the end, we reached a compromise and I'm still happy with the way the book came out.

So, basically, you're not just twiddling your thumbs that whole time. You'll have plenty to do, especially as the publication date looms.

Hope this helps.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mark Wakely said:
I signed my contract for An Audience for Einstein with Mundania in early November 2004. The paperback and ebook edition appeared at the end of January 2005.

Mark,

I think you meant January 2006. November 2004 to January 2005 is only 3 months.

Sorry to be so nitpicky.

~Nancy

Mark Wakely

Still working on that second novel
Registered
Reaction score
Oops.

Good catch.

I meant November 2003 to January 2005.

Actually, it feels like it was just yesterday.

Time sure flies, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Jennifer,
Long waits are part of this business. Tor, for example, I hear is a year long wait if you sub without an agent. 365 days.

Why does it take so long? Because, unlike a lot of scam publishers, most real ones take the time to read what they get. Now, me personally, I reject a lot of submissions in the first two or three pages; sometimes the first paragraph! Most readings take 5-10 minutes. But multiply that by the hundreds or thousands of submissions that come in. And if something catches my eye and I want to read a full..... well, how long does it take you to read one book? Add to that the day-to-day business of running a publisher. Time gets away from you pretty quickly. And many editors take stuff home to read on the weekends - they give up their free time to keep the slush from overtaking the world!

So, take a deep breath and realize that all things happen in their own time. Write another book while you wait :) That's what I usually do.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Depends on what you're sending, I think. A query alone, or even a partial, is more likely to get a quick response. A full manuscript takes longer, especially if they read it all the way through.

Their time may be shorter now, but I know at one point it really was close to a year for an unsolicited manuscript.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Yeah, it was just the 3 chapters & synopsis, cover letter deal. There was never a request for the full. Currently I believe 3-and-synopsis is their standard for slush. I don't know what their requirements or standard turnaround time have been at other times.
DAW took about the same time, but Orbit UK and Hodder Headline each took only a couple of weeks, which was impressive in a way. Not a happy way, but at least it was over quickly.
-Barbara

Harris

Registered
Reaction score
How long should someone wait before sending a follow up query?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most publishers list a time frame in their guidelines (four months, six months, nine months, etc...) I'd check their website and see. Then I would wait a month past the time before sending a follow up. Everyone can get a little behind.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl Nantus said:
Mundania is being swamped with new manuscripts, as you can imagine. I enquired after six months, myself.

A little patience goes a long way, seriously.

:D

Congrats on your upcoming release with them :)

Harris

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats and thank you Sheryl. I've been waiting 8 months as of today. I'll give them a bit longer then ask.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
thankee all!

I received an answer after eight months - being an acceptance, of course! Being my first novel I was darned thrilled and honored to be accepted into their ranks!

but don't be afraid to ask, of course... just be aware that they are pretty darned busy!