The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Internet Book Database of Fiction / IBlist

lurking behind that corner.. heatheringemar's Avatar

The Internet Book Database of Fiction / IBlist

Has anyone heard of the Internet Book Database? They seem to be a promotional listing of authors, but I'm wondering if they are a legit system? I've puttered around on their website, and they seem to be alright, but I'm curious if anyone else has heard of them.

Thanks.

http://www.ibdof.com/portal.php
    web : twitter : goodreads : myspace : love the spooky.

"Requiem" voted TOP TEN YA BOOK FOR 2009 at Preditors & Editors!!!

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    It looks very much like another vbulletin forum.

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    It looks very much like another vbulletin forum.
    Most certainly not! What inexcusable, baseless slander! They're obviously using phpBB.

Seriously, though, I've not put much thought to this site (saw the name once in Wikipedia's article deletion debates and that's about that). Seems like yet another book-rating/commenting site, one out of many.

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    Must be gaining popularity though - I've seen it mentioned in several locations, and reviewers are using it as a 'credit'

Time will tell, I suppose.
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Which reviewers would that be?

Off the top of my head I don't remember, just that they post reviews to iBD. I know there's a YA reviewer on MySpace that does it, and I've seen reviews from there posted various places. None that jump to mind though.

It's pretty easy to navigate and they seem to have a decent sized database going. But I wouldn't say it's the next PW or anything. There are tons of internet review sites, this is just another. (Some have pretty decent reputations, too)
    Last edited by Christine N.; 02-04-2007 at 04:07 AM.
    Christine

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

I tweet

Interesting place

Hey UJ, you and the Missus got your own "Official Author Discussion" Forum over there. Go and meet your fans!
    Christine

I tweet

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    M'kay...idbof.com is down for me, but The Internet Book Database of Fiction (in association with IBList) aren't the same folks as The Internet Book Database at http://www.ibookdb.net/, right?

ETA: Right, they're different groups.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 02-15-2007 at 10:42 PM.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I'm Siddharth from ibookdb.net (not ibdof or iblist) and I can answer whatever questions you have about us. But just so you know all three sites, ibookdb, ibdof and iblist are all legit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ibookdb View Post
    I'm Siddharth from ibookdb.net (not ibdof or iblist) and I can answer whatever questions you have about us. But just so you know all three sites, ibookdb, ibdof and iblist are all legit.
    How do you define legit? How does ibookdb generate income? Are you a book review service? Do you charge for book reviews?

I don't think they do. I think they're just a 'drop a review here' kind of thing? You have to register, then you can post reviews. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.
    Christine

I tweet

Quote Originally Posted by Christine N. View Post
    I don't think they do. I think they're just a 'drop a review here' kind of thing? You have to register, then you can post reviews. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.
    Yep. I think they're hoping to make money from advertising eventually.

Good luck, Siddharth! There are a lot of similar sites out there right now--LibraryThing and GoodReads, for instance--but I say, "Let a thousand flowers bloom!"

It's a doggy dog world benbradley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Lane Rogers View Post
    How do you define legit? How does ibookdb generate income? Are you a book review service? Do you charge for book reviews?
    I presume ibookdb means legit as in they are not crooks. But I think there's a separate question of whether they are comprehensive, meaning do they have at least basic info on just about ever book currently or recently in print? I doubt any site is comprehensive by that definition except Amazon.com, and for Amazon it's only secondary and accidentally, as their main purpose is to SELL books, not make book info available to anyone who looks for it. I do rely on Amazon for a lot of stuff not book-buying-related, such as looking for other books by an author, looking up the publisher of a certain title/edition, and of course reading reviews (which are sometimes good entertainment in themselves).

Here's Wikipedia's article on book-related databases, which gives some info on ibookdb:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_..._book_database
    About ibookdb: "It was started as an effort to be the IMDb equivalent for books. It currently contains information on over 77,000 books (over 237,000 ISBNs), 21,000 authors and 2,100 series making it one of the largest online databases of author and book information."
    Hmm, not sure what numbers would be truly "comprehensive" but that's better than I suspected.
    "Registered users can catalog and manage their book collections online,..." Oh, just like LibraryThing.com.

As far as reviews (and this may have no connection with what any book database is doing), I recall a Usenet newsgroup where movie (and book?) reviews were posted, apparently written by professional (or wanna-be pro) reviewers, each one with a strongly worded copyright message. It appeared the idea was for the reviewer to put it out there for newspaper and magazine editors to see, and buy print rights so they could easily add content to their publications.
    Ello.
    NaNoWriMo 2014: Unknown.
    Tweets daily or so.

Quote Originally Posted by W. Lane Rogers View Post
    We generate income from affiliate programs and advertising. We are currently offering a special on advertising BTW, but that is a separate topic. We don't charge for reviews, listings or anything else on the website at all. All our official reviewers are volunteers who review whatever they feel like. Users are also free to review anything they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by benbradley View Post
    I presume ibookdb means legit as in they are not crooks. But I think there's a separate question of whether they are comprehensive, meaning do they have at least basic info on just about ever book currently or recently in print? I doubt any site is comprehensive by that definition except Amazon.com, and for Amazon it's only secondary and accidentally, as their main purpose is to SELL books, not make book info available to anyone who looks for it. I do rely on Amazon for a lot of stuff not book-buying-related, such as looking for other books by an author, looking up the publisher of a certain title/edition, and of course reading reviews (which are sometimes good entertainment in themselves).
    No site can claim that. Not even worldcat, which I think is the most comprehensive source of book information. At ibookdb we currently gather information from Amazon, BN and Powells Books. We are working on Ingram and worldcat data and hopefully will have that available soon.

Also no site seems to make a serious effort in listing series information correctly except fantastic fiction and I have no idea how they do it and from where. We have volunteer editors who do this at ibookdb but are nowhere close to being done with the process.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Updating link: http://www.ibdof.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: