AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publicity] TR Talk Magazine

practical experience, FTW Tsu Dho Nimh's Avatar

[Publicity] TR Talk Magazine

Within a day or two of Sharla's arrival on Author's Den, Sharla got an ad from a company enthusing about their new magazine:

"We have exciting news! Beginning with our March 2007 issue of TR Talk magazine, we are going public! We will be in every Barnes & Nobel and Borders book stores nationwide! This is an outstanding opportunity for any Author to get their book(s) in a major promotional magazine resulting in more sales! Spaces are limited so don't delay! TR Talk Magazine XXX-YYY-ZZZZ ext 0 Attn:Christine"

Either someone harvests the email addresses OR Author's den is selling them to affiliates.

This may be from trtalk.com ... a PR company claiming to specialize in putting people in contact with radio/tv shows in need of guests. Can anyone find this magazine?

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Gee, if they were really going to be in Barnes & Noble, you'd think they'd know how to spell it...

This is the only reference I could find online to TR Talk Magazine (it's under "Print").

Here's TR Talk. Looks like YADS supposedly aimed at TV/radio/film producers. It's a project of iUsion Studios, which is owned by this guy, Christopher Foust.

Apart from the warning flags sent up by the spelling and grammatical errors, there's some very deceptive information in TR Talk's FAQ--for instance:
    Question :
    How much publicity can I expect my book to get?

Answer:
    Think of it this way. If you happen to be on TR Talk.com and the Producer of Oprah finds you, you can expect to sell over 44,000 books within 2 hours of being on the show. How does that sound?
    Or this:
    Having a banner ad increases your chances of being on a talk show by more than 70%*. The majority of producers click on banner ads, because they give them new and unique ideas.

*Numbers are based on actual rotation of banner ads compaired to the number of producers at any given time.
    WTF??

They are coy about how much the service costs.

Blog fodder, methinks! Could you forward me the email ad? beware@sfwa.org

- Victoria

practical experience, FTW Tsu Dho Nimh's Avatar
    That's what I thought ... this looks like another of those "dating service" sites that sprang up to offer aspiring authors a place to attract the interest of agents and publishers.

But the agents and publishers (or talk show schedulers) are arm-pit deep in requests to be on the show.

Notice how they do not answer the question ... they just dangle a shiny object in front of the author:

Question :
    How much publicity can I expect my book to get?

Answer:
    Think of it this way. If you happen to be on TR Talk.com and the Producer of Oprah finds you, you can expect to sell over 44,000 books within 2 hours of being on the show. How does that sound?

It sounds great, but IF my granny had a bell, wheels and headlights, she'd be a trollybus!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    A year later, all that remains is an AuthorsDen profile for TR Talk's "marketing director".
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW Requiescat In Pace Popeyesays's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    A year later, all that remains is an AuthorsDen profile for TR Talk's "marketing director".
    He truly cannot spell.

His birthplace is listed as "Clearmore, OK". That 's CLAREMORE.

http://www.claremore.org/

Regards,

Scott
    [B]Okay, damnit, I blog [URL]http://cscottsaylorsbooks.blogspot.com/[/URL][/B]
    [B]Sword of the Dajjal[/B] e-book, [SIZE=2]Published by BooksForABuck.com May, 2007 ISBN: 978-1-602-052-2 [URL]http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages/sf_07/sword_dajjal.html[/URL][/SIZE]
    Out in print early 2008 from Blu Phi'er[URL="http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook47261.htm?cached"][/URL]
    [B]Jars of Doom[/B] out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    [URL]http://www.bluphier.com/[/URL]