I am the recipient of a brand new bottle of NyQuil.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But first I must take my DayQuil. <cough, cough, sneeze>

To come off my DayQuil I'm going to douse it with NyQuil, the night time, sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, fever, sleep better so I can feel better, medicine.

Isn't this how Elvis died?

Don't worry I only took one DayQuil.

I bought my kids Kids NiQuil :e2brows:. They'll be dropping cherry shots at 7:30.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I used to love my DayQuil upper and NyQuil downers when I was sick...but then they changed the decongestant formula so they can still sell it over the counter and neither work for me anymore. I was so incredibly disappointed...now I take Sudafed but it doesn't work nearly as well as my DayQuil used to.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I can't stand the licorice taste of the green Nyquil.
Give me cherry any day.

FYI, you can still buy psuedephedrineHCL(sp?) without an RX, but you do have to ask the pharmacist, so they can register the sale.

Hope you feel better, Terri ... (and anyone else)

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, well, I don't recoment you take a DayQuil at 6pm then dose it NyQuil later. I slept then woke up, slept then woke up. I took more NyQuil later and won, though.

My chest cold ended up kicking my asthma into full gear and I was unable to breath well for three days. My peak flows were 150 and they're normally 450. I have them back up to 200 at this point but only because I had to go get steroids. So I'll be Buffwriterterri for for a while.

And don't mess with a chick on steroids. You'll lose everytime. :D

Thanks for the well wishes,

Buffwriterterrimesseduponsteriodsbuttherushiscoolforabout10minutes.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Nyquil doesn't work for me since they took the pseudoephedrine out of it. And the Sudafed PE crap is just worthless.

I buy regular stuff from behind the pharmacy counter, but I'm a little tired of the ID checks and cavity searches.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Big hug for Terri (Germs?? I don' care bout no GERMS!!!)

They didn't have to take the psuedoepherine out of Nyquil, they only had to regulate the sale of brakefluid ... the morons.

That said, Nyquil is nasty stuff, only surpassed by Dayquil.

Terri - try this - less crap to f*** with your asthma. ( Mine is no where near as bad as yours, but those 'quils' have me wheezing and reaching for Albuterol every time...

Momma Jay says eat/drink this:
OK!Here is the chest cold recipe straight from the great- great- ( hundreds of generations great) grand cat of the old herb lady who was mistakenly burned as a witch in 1632 (three days after that everybody in the village got a bad chest cold, covered themselves with leeches and died before the vampires got there and could do a proper job of it.)

Fresh herbs are better, but it is January/February so the instructions are for dried.

In a cup, measure 2 oz of rum, vodka or gin. Add 1 powdered ( crumple it up between your fingers) teaspoon each of Basil, Oregano, Red Clover, Peppermint, Spearmint, Chamomile and licorice root. ( if you can't get licorice root, leave it out and buy some real licorice and chew that while you drink the tea. Add 1 oz water. cover lightly. Microwave (10-50 sec..)until it steams ( almost boils). The use a spoon and mash the stuff until you get a kind of paste. Then, depending on your taste, mix the result with 16 oz of water and simmer for 3 min to make a tea. ( Yes, you can add honey or sugar. No Milk.) Drink 8 oz now and 8 oz in 6 hours. ( Drink regular tea, water and juice between the cold-tea).

If you don't like the tea, add a couple shots of liquor and drink with 7up. Remembering that soda will dehydrate you and you will need to drink water and orange juice.

This will clear your chest.

I will come back later with the kick *** chicken soup recipie that goes along with this.
Here it is:

Chicken Soup For Your Cold.

1lb of boneless skinless chicken cut into small chunks.

(ALTERNATELY: The carcass of the chicken that you cooked, picked over and is now sitting there with meat on it but not quite enough to make a meal for 2)

½ cup chopped celery

½ cup sliced carrots.

¼ cup diced onion. ( You can use 1/8 cup of dried onion)

1/8 cup diced garlic. ( You can use dried garlic, jar-ed garlic or even garlic powder ( 2 tsp) do not use garlic salt.)

1 tsp lemon juice.

½ tsp dill.

1tbsp dried crumbled Basil

1 tbsp dried crumbled Oregano

½ tsp chopped fresh cilantro ( or two pinches of cumin)

2 pinches turmeric

½ tsp paprika.

½ dried cayenne pepper. (Ok you can use a couple of shakes of chili powder or a couple shakes of dried powdered cayenne.)

1/8 of a sweet red-pepper diced and diced real fine.

1/8 cup olive oil

a pinch of black pepper.

1 cube of chicken buillion SALT ALERT! (you will need this if you used white meat chicken.)

A handful of egg noodles if you swing that way or a handful of brown rice if you swing THAT way.

Bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add the olive oil and the chicken. Continue boiling for 10 -15 min. reduce heat to a simmer. Add everything else except noodles or rice. Stir in. simmer for 1-2 hours or until carrots are soft. Add salt if you need it.

Add noodles or rice if you want it. Cook on low until rice or noodles are edible.

Eat. Relax, Repeat. ( My Russian Father in Law claims that you have to add two shots of vodka to this. If you take my cold remedy you don’t need to worry about that.)

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
My sweet, tea-totaling Grandma could drink the green stuff by the bottle. She always seemed to have a cold coming on, several times a night. :)

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nyquil doesn't work for me since they took the pseudoephedrine out of it. And the Sudafed PE crap is just worthless.

I buy regular stuff from behind the pharmacy counter, but I'm a little tired of the ID checks and cavity searches.

lol! What's good for sinuses and lets you sleep? I know about sudafed for daytime, my mother in law was addicted to those a few years back. She'd take a few of those and clean my house and then complain that I never did nothing.

Is that what happened to that NyQuil? I remember the last bad cold I had, I would take it and sleep all night. I remember my nose being plugged all night this time, though.

They ruined a really good product because of some fools that needed to make a street drug. Shame.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmmmm, Nyquil :D

I loved the stuff till they changed it. Now it's the coughing, sneezing, aching, stuffy-head so you can lay awake staring at the ceiling for 5 hours medicine.

And oh my GOD what is that taste? Why do kids get medicine that tastes like candy, but we adults have to put up with the flavor of irradiated dog piss?

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They didn't have to take the psuedoepherine out of Nyquil, they only had to regulate the sale of brakefluid ... the morons.

That said, Nyquil is nasty stuff, only surpassed by Dayquil.

Terri - try this - less crap to f*** with your asthma. ( Mine is no where near as bad as yours, but those 'quils' have me wheezing and reaching for Albuterol every time...
I didn't know that! I'm done with that stuff. It does help me fall asleep, though. I'll try some vodka next time. :D Thanks for the recipes.

The steroids I'm on are called Methylprednesolone, so you can imagine the rush when I take 2 of those. Only I can't get up and do something because I still can't breath and walk. The good news, I'm off duty until I get better. My hubby has been a real champ. He's been up until 12am everynight doing my job. Tonight I know he'll be on burn out though. I saw it in his eyes last night.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
That killed me; it was one of the few decongestants that actually worked. That other stuff they put in my sudafed does absolutely nothing.

Terri, you're better of just taking some PHENTERMINE and using vicks vapo-rub.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That killed me; it was one of the few decongestants that actually worked. That other stuff they put in my sudafed does absolutely nothing.

Terri, you're better of just taking some PHENTERMINE and using vicks vapo-rub.

I'll have to find someone who will rub it on me. :D

Make it burn, baby!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
You know what I miss? The original formula Vicks 44. When they had real honest to goodness alcohol in it at something like 20%. It tasted great and knocked you off your feet.

And the best part was, as a kid, you could buy bottles of the stuff and hang out behind the garage and swill it down with your friends.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know what I miss? The original formula Vicks 44. When they had real honest to goodness alcohol in it at something like 20%. It tasted great and knocked you off your feet.

And the best part was, as a kid, you could buy bottles of the stuff and hang out behind the garage and swill it down with your friends.

Ah, the teachers of the future generations.:tongue

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score

My babysitter used to get terpenhydrate with codine...right across the counter.

But I think my chest remedy is better, and it will let you sleep.
(But it would ROCK if it had codine....heh heh heh)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rum is perfect for a cold, Tequila cures a sore throat (kinda like burning down a house cures termites).

I wish I had a cold.