The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Magazine] Forgotten Worlds

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Bibsy's Avatar

[Magazine] Forgotten Worlds

I wanted to put this out there for anyone who has dealt with or was thinking about dealing with Forgotten Worlds, a UK-based, monthly speculative fiction magazine that began publishing last year.

I had a story in issue #7 (released December 7, 2006) that I have not been paid for, nor have two other writers from the issue with whom I've been in touch. Payment was supposed to be upon publication, via PayPal.

The magazine has not updated its website in over a month nor made issue #7 available for purchase. The only reason I found it was even released was because, on another site I belong to, someone received his subscription copy, which he said was postmarked first half of December.

Me and the two other writers I've been in touch with sent multiple emails to the editor without response until today. One author said his reply was similar to mine, which was:

I am sorry for the delay in the release of issue 7. We have been experiencing problems receiving sufficient funds to pay the writers and printing costs. We were expecting a financial injection at the begining of December but that was continually delayed and now we face the possibility that it will be delayed until late February or March. As soon as we can give you more information we will.
    But then the other author received this:

All of what you have said is true, well almost. We have been trying very hard over the last two months to secure financial backing to continue the publication of Forgotten Worlds. It would seem that each injection was dependant upon another being in place first. One big vicious circle. This is now reached the stage that we were spending more time chasing cash than publishing a magazine. We are going to be having a final meeting early February where our future will be decided.

We kept putting of the release of issue 7 becuase of this and so that we would not accrue further debts, but unfortunately the subscription issues were sent out. Thus it was published. We will send you your payment on monday and, although not in the contract, a contributor's copy by way of a bribe, apology.

So they offer to "bribe" one author (probably because she threatened legal action) but try to blow the others off for a few more months. Needless to say, the editor has received a far-less-than-happy e-mail from me on this matter.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Just a note that the website now reads (sans paragraph breaks):

PLEASE BE AWARE

This publication has ran into serious financial difficulties. This has resulted in:

a) authors from issue six only now receiving payments; and b) I have spent the last two months trying to find alternative funding and not reading or replying to submissions.

I should have informed all those concerned sooner, a matter I have been justifiably chastised for, for which I sincerely apologise.

A meeting has been arranged regarding our future where it is expected we shall decide to go as a quarterly publication.

I shall contact all authors whose work we have accepted after this meeting individually to discuss what they wish to do with their submissions. For those authors waiting for a reply and wish to pull their submissions who wish to withdraw I would be grateful if the would e-mail me direct with their instructions.

In the meantime no further submissions should be sent.

John, editor.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Bibsy's Avatar
    Thanks for posting that. I've been meaning to come back and add my own update on this but haven't had a chance until now. There were a lot of needless communication missteps from the magazine along the way, but the editor has since said that he will pay all authors promptly and send a contributor copy as apology. UK authors, which is where the mag is based, were sent payment by check this week (one emailed me today and said she received her payment); payment for authors overseas from the magazine like myself are now supposed to receive payment via PayPal within 7 to 9 working days.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Alas, site now reads:

IMPORTANT NOTICE
    It is with deepest regret that I have to inform you; that as of today Forgotten Worlds has ceased publication.
    If you have work that has been accepted by us we will be getting in contact with you over the next few days. If you have a submission being considered please take this as a notice of return.
    We will also be in contact with all subscribers to arrange refunds.
    John Cooper.
    It's undated, but I expect it's from last year.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: