So what ARE you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I've tried to read Until I Find You a number of times. I just can't get into it (yet -- I haven't given up, because I love Irving).

I'm enjoying The History of Love quite a bit. I haven't read Before I Wake yet, but it's on my birthday list. :)

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
In my opinion, Until I Find You isn’t his best. I had many questions afterwards that blow the entire story apart. But I love Irving and my favorite is A Prayer for Owen Meany.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Eldest by Christopher Paolini. I think it's pretty well-written, and it keeps me interested partially because of the nice, short chapters.

I haven't been reading much of it lately, as I've been busy with my novel re-write. But I'm up to Chapter 5, I think, and I like it.

finch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vocroth.com
Fiction: Just finished re-reading Grave Peril, the third of the Dresden books. Probably should pick up the next one now that I've got my interest back up.

Non-fiction: Black Holes by Walter Sullivan. Had to do some backstory research, but it's a good read regardless.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
The Serpent on the Crown - Elizabeth Peters
And a bunch of books about Fair Isle knitting.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
Bee Season by Myla Goldberg in the fiction category. I like her characterizations.

To the kids: Collinsfort Village by AW's very own Joe Ekaitis. My 5 year old has developed a full-on crush for Griff. I found the book under her pillow this morning. (Note to self: Delicately explain the interspecies taboo to daughter, soon.)

Nonfic: I'm still slogging through Marie Antoinette by Antonia Fraser. I'm thinking of just skipping the guts of the book and go right to the big finish.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm reading The Birth House by Ami McKay. And to the kids I'm reading The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke.

I got a gc for my birthday and went straight out and bought the following, all of which are fighting to be next on my list: She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, The Friends of Meager Fortune by David Adams Richards, and Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures by Vincent Lam. I also have The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai and The Way the Crow Flies by Anne Marie McDonald.

Hm, what next...?

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Just Finished: Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg--The Ugly Little Boy.
Reading: John Jakes--The Seekers
Next Up: Octavia Butler--Fledgling
Stephen King--Song of Sussanah (6th Dark Tower, I think)

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Storms of Destiny by A. C. Crispin - About 100 pages in so far, really liking the characters.

Next I'll be rereading The Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn to refresh my memory, I just ordered the sequel earlier in the week.

~DragonHeart~

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Inferno by Karen Harper, Gone by Lisa Gardner and Harvey Penick's Little Red Book By Harvey Penick.

I almost always read more than one book at a time.

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished 'Kitchen Confidential' by Anthony Bourdain. I've cracked Hugh Laurie's 'The Gun Seller' a few times, but it's not moving along too well for me. I may switch it out for 'Anansi Boys.'

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
The Speed of Dark, by Elizabeth Moon.

I just finished The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. It was spectacular.

Gabriel

Not just your average bear.
Registered
Reaction score
Lisey's story by Stephen King.
I read alot of good reviews but I really don't think it's that good when compared to his other books especially ones like The stand or Needful things.
Now those kicked ass.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Saving Millie: A Daughter's Story of Surviving her Mother's Schizophrenia by Tina Kotulski. I'm almost done reading it. It's pretty good.

And I gotta have a few how-to books floating around here :tongue : Talespin: Public Relations Disasters - Inside Stories & Lessons Learnt by Gerry McCusker. I also just got The White Masai from the library. I haven't read it yet. I hope it's good.

There's always a Newsweek, People, and Time mag sitting on my desk.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Rabbit Redux, by John Updike -- 2nd in his series of 4 books on Rabbit Angstrom (the 5th best character in fiction since 1900, according to Book magazine). I've already read books #1 and #3, so now I'm going back for the even numbers. :)

KiraOnWhite

Registered
Reaction score
Prophecy of the stones by Flavia Bujor. The writing is not bad, but its simply...weird, just weird.

Annwyn

Registered
Reaction score
Okay well, let's see...

I've just finished Adultery by Richard Wright - the writing is goog, but the dialogue stilted and sometimes the reactions of characters is unbelievable.

Trudi Cavana's latest trilogy (I think I spelt her name wrong) which is...well...long, and I just really can't get into it.

Jennifer Arminstrout's Blood Ties (I think that's what it's called, either that or I'm getting confused with another one :) ) But this one was really really really really good, I loved it, but then I have a thing for funky vamp novels ;)

Oh and Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter's are really really good - writing might be full of technical mistakes, ie. POV change through chapters, cliches but - alas, it's a light, fluffy read with enough action to keep you hooked and characters that are okay enough to make you want to read on - who can resist a sexy, dark brooding heroes / heroines?

And then there's the law books...but somehow I doubt anyone wants a referral to read that :)

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
screenmom said:
Bee Season by Myla Goldberg in the fiction category. I like her characterizations.

Whoa! I just finished it last week. Her mom! What a character! I enjoyed Bee Season. The cover said it's about to become a major motion picture? Hmmmm....should be interesting to see what they do with it.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'm almost done with Elizabeth George's Write Away and King's Lisey's Story. Unless Lisey's Story ends up amazing, I don't think I'll be re-reading it at any point.

Status
Not open for further replies.