• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Writers' & Artists' Yearbook Competitions

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
You know for the whole month of January, the idea of meeting the deadline for this competition has really motivated me to write. Now that I'm almost ready to enter I'm getting a touch of nerves.

Competition is run by A and C Black, publishers of the Writers' and Artists' yearbook.

You've got to submit the first ten thousand words of your manuscript plus a one page synopsis. The first 100 people get their full manuscript critiqued by The Literary Consultancy and the top three get their work submitted to an agent. No promises there, but that's fair enough.

These three conditions bother me

9. By submitting an entry all entrants thereby grant The Bloomsbury Publishing Group the right to publish their entry on www.acblack.com, www.bloomsbury.com and in any publicity material in the event of their entry winning the competition.

12. The Bloomsbury Publishing Group and the winners may enter into agreements which will grant The Bloomsbury Publishing Group the publishing, broadcasting, serial and electronic rights in the winning entries.

13. The Bloomsbury Publishing Group reserves the right to change the rules of this competition without notice.

Say for example I win, but I don't get picked up their agent and I have to go looking for one myself, would having the first ten thousand words of my book on their website be a potential liability.

Also, the may enter into an arrangement with Bloomsbury clause. That's a take it or leave it on both sides is it?

And what about, we can change the rules as we see fit. Is that ok. I know they are a reputable company but I just wonder is this prize worth winning.

What do the people in the know think? What does anybody think. Here's the link to the rules.

http://www.writersandartists.co.uk/default.asp?id=8

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I think this would be better in the backgrounds and beware check. They would know more what is legit and what isn't. Perhaps a mod can move it.

As for me, I have no idea.

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, I don't think it needs to go in the bewares and background checks cos there's nothing disreputable about either company, the editing company or the publisher. I'm just wondering does anyone know of any knock on consequences of having ten thousand words of your novel online and out of your control to take down.

And I'm not sure what Rule 12 means. having bought a house recently and having had a terrible legal time, I now know that sentences in a legal document do not always mean what you at first assume they mean. So that sentence reads to me, like you can negotiate a contract or not, but who knows?

Also would it be such a good idea to be declared the winner of the competition and have their agent fail to take you on? Would your name stink? etc.

Anyways thanks for replying.

Cheers Scribbler. I'm going to make a note of your opinion and think about it.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
The Lady said:
I'm just wondering does anyone know of any knock on consequences of having ten thousand words of your novel online and out of your control to take down.
No consequences, I should think. You might post that much of your novel in progress on your own website as a teaser. I can't imagine any publisher or agent having a problem with this.
And I'm not sure what Rule 12 means.
It means that if they like your entry, they might offer you a publication deal of some kind. Or not.

As for Rule 13, this is routine. Any contest sponsor will reserve the right to change things.
Also would it be such a good idea to be declared the winner of the competition and have their agent fail to take you on? Would your name stink? etc.
No more than if the agent had refused you in the ordinary way. (Hopefully the contest people will make sure that the agent is a good match for the winners' work. Otherwise this part of the prize is fairly pointless.)

The agent submission component of the contest is a nice perk, but if you win and query other agents, don't expect them to be impressed--this doesn't strike me as a contest that will give you a leg up apart from the prizes.

- Victoria

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks. That's a very clear response.

The agent submission component of the contest is a nice perk, but if you win and query other agents, don't expect them to be impressed--this doesn't strike me as a contest that will give you a leg up apart from the prizes.

Ok, that's also good to know. Wouldn't want them to think I'm a daft person .

Thanks again.

Edited to take out that bad word. It's almost affectionate in my country.
Thanks hopeful

Last edited:

hopeful

Registered
Reaction score
a teeny cultural difference to be aware of....

Hi The Lady,

Just a tiny little FYI that you can take or leave: I've been to Ireland, so I know there are certain "naughty" words (that I won't list here, but you can guess what they are) that don't have the same taboos associated with them that they do here in the States. "Twat" is, well, one of those words that's considered only slightly naughty in Ireland, but it's kind of considered a big, derogatory no-no in America. Uh...I hope this doesn't make me one for bringing it up... I honestly mean no offense.

Take good care,

hopeful

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Remember that every publisher in the world holds a contest every day. The contest is "submission" and the prize is "publication." There isn't any entry fee.

Every agent has the same contest every day too, only in that case the prize is representation.

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
James D. Macdonald said:
Remember that every publisher in the world holds a contest every day. The contest is "submission" and the prize is "publication." There isn't any entry fee.

Every agent has the same contest every day too, only in that case the prize is representation.

Well that pretty much puts it in perspective. I guess the only extra thing they're offering is a free critique. Well at least focusing on this got my novel off to a flying start. Thanks you all.

Last edited:

Georganna Hancock

she's back!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers-edge.info
Technically, when your writing appears online, it's published. If another publisher wanted to be "technical", the first rights to that part of your work would not be available. Ever. It might cost you in terms of remuneration.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Possibly a difference in the size of the advance, possibly not. The question is whether you've killed part of the market -- they already read it so they won't want to buy it.

Even if it does mean a smaller advance, you might make it up on the back end through royalties. It all averages out.

I'm sure you've seen novels with a little notice on the copyright page: "Portions of this work previously appeared in a different form" or words to that effect.

Nothing's fixed in stone, and a good story still trumps all.