• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Plain View Press

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
wabigoniss - thank you for taking the time to respond.

I think that my point is and remains that everything you're paying for with Plain View Press, could equally be accomplished by going through a self-publishing outfit like Lulu or Create Space.

I'm simply not seeing what Plain View do for you apart from arrange printing. You're doing all the selling. You're doing all the organisation.

You seem to think that Plain View gives some kind of publishing credibility and honestly, I'm not seeing how it does. To me it seems to be (at best) an expensive self-publishing company aimed at the academic niche.

While I wish you the very best of luck with your book, I can't help but note that you're already approximately $1,300 down in terms of expenditure. It's going to take a lot of hard selling to make that back and while you sound up for the challenge, it's going to be a long-haul to get it out there. It sounds like you're even having to buy books for your own book signings (which you have to arrange). That increases the amount of risk that you take, with Plain View seeming (to me) to be shouldering none of that burden.

Again, best of luck with the book.

MM

Deleted member 42

c) Medievalist referred to the academic credentials of a PVP author I mentioned as meaningless unless the person earned tenure.
I misstated. The author at the time of publication of her book taught in the UCLA Extension Writers' Program and at USC. I don't think that's meaningless. The people at UCLA and USC who retained that author to teach their students probably don't think it meaningless, either.

I want to explain something, less to you because you seem happy with your choices, than to others who might not have made a decision.

I note that the classes she taught do not transfer even to UCLA proper; I further note that UCLA Extension is an independent for hire business. It is not a degree granting institution (a certificate is not a degree); it is not UCLA. Very few of the Extension classes even have UCLA transfer status; most of those that do have transfer status replicate UCLA courses and are taught by regular faculty.

I say this as someone who earned her Ph.D. at UCLA, taught at UCLA (twelve quarters) and at UCLA Extension, and worked as administrative / IT staff for both institutions.

I note for further reference that the relationship of UCLA Extension to UCLA proper is fairly standard for other schools in the U.S.

Teaching in Extension is not an academic brownie point, though it does suggest engagement with the community, and that is always good.

I also note that you could have achieved exactly what you achieved with Plainview by going through Lulu or a similar business, with far less expenditure of cash.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, wabi, for sharing that info with us.

I can see your point: the books that PVP puts out look to be of good quality, and not slush-crap, so they are selective, and that is a point in their favour. And if it works out for you, that's totally great.

You said you queried a lot of literary agents. Did you also check out the dozens of small/literary/university presses who publish in your genre, and who don't charge fees?

wabigoniss

Registered
Reaction score
I did, yes. Queried till my brain ached, till my heart broke. Then I picked up the leavings and queried some more. Like we all do, right? It's a dastardly, humbling, soul-scouring process. Possibly formative, surely educational and, occasionally, fruitful.
Medievalist, I bow to your knowledge on university matters.
Thanks for the kind words, all.

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I share your pain, wabigoniss :)

wabigoniss

Registered
Reaction score
Because I respect the mission of this site and the participants in it, I thought you'd want to know: Susan Bright, founder of Plain View Press, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on Dec. 29. The Austin American-Statesman ran a column. My novel was among the last Plain View published, and though Susan and I never met, she is among the people to whom I am grateful, and beholden.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Per the statement on their website, daily operations will continue while they regroup.