The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Westphal Literary Agency (Richard Westphal)

otterauthor

Westphal Literary Agency (Richard Westphal)

Hello all! I have been lurking for quite some time and decided to jump in. I queried an agent from the Christian Guide to Literary Agents (2006). Richard Westphal, of the Westphal Literary Agency, requested a partial, and then my complete manuscript.

I have been unable to find any information about his agency, and of course I destroyed the contract he sent a few days ago. (fee charger). I was curious if any of you have had any dealing with this agency, and wanted to warn you about it, as there is nothing on P&E and he is listed in what I would have considered a reputable source.

I enjoy this community and look forward to getting to know you all!

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW Requiescat In Pace Popeyesays's Avatar
    Probably one of those folks that thinks "Christian" writers will be an easier scam if he says he's a 'pepper' too!

No offense intended, just a description of the scammer mentality.

Regards,
    Scott
    [B]Okay, damnit, I blog [URL]http://cscottsaylorsbooks.blogspot.com/[/URL][/B]
    [B]Sword of the Dajjal[/B] e-book, [SIZE=2]Published by BooksForABuck.com May, 2007 ISBN: 978-1-602-052-2 [URL]http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages/sf_07/sword_dajjal.html[/URL][/SIZE]
    Out in print early 2008 from Blu Phi'er[URL="http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook47261.htm?cached"][/URL]
    [B]Jars of Doom[/B] out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    [URL]http://www.bluphier.com/[/URL]

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    The Christian Guide to Literary Agents--like nearly all print market guides--has some disreputable people in it. Sometimes they slip past the editors, even where the editors make a real effort to vet the people they include. It's never a good idea to take inclusion in a market guide--no matter how authoritative the guide is--as an indication of reputability.

Writer Beware has gotten a number of complaints of Westphal's fees (at last report, $125 for a 6-month contract). From what I can tell, he falls more in the amateur than the scammer camp.

I'm not aware that this agency has any commercial sales, though it has been around for several years.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    The only web hit for Westphal is this thread.

Transparency is good. Invisibility is not.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Bridgewater

Any more recent info on Westphal Literary Agency?

Has anyone had any other dealings with Westphal since the last post? Thanks.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Why would anyone want to have dealing with this guy?
    Once a scammer, always a scammer.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    No further listings and/or activity.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    The last inquiry I got about him was from mid-2009. I've heard nothing since then.

- Victoria