The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rose colored glasses

Registered
Reaction score
jean marie - Can you explain this? I'm getting from your posts that you sold several hundred books and yet your contract was cancelled for lack of sales? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

Just curious because it appears that PA randomly cancels contracts even when books are selling, but then refuses to cancel for people who request it.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rose colored glasses said:
jean marie - Can you explain this?QUOTE] Snip.

Hi, Patricia, and good to see you Memphis Ed.

Rose, P.A. doesn't want to sell books to the public. The steady trickle of sales from a bookstore or two, who order books once a week, takes time to process.

P.A. takes the order for two books, calls LSI, has them print and ship at the discounted bookstore price.

The author calls and orders a large number of books paid for NOW! ONCE!

The bookstore calls week after week to keep the suppy on the shelf and P.A. considers this a hassle and a time wasting process.

Hence, we ain't gonna keep up this penny anty pee-wee ordering crap. Dump her.

Get your book into a bookstore that sells a couple every two weeks if you want out of your contract.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Just curious because it appears that PA randomly cancels contracts even when books are selling, but then refuses to cancel for people who request it.

That's part of what makes PA so deceitful. When it appears that you might actually have a successful book, PA bails out because that brings in too many obligations that they're not prepared to pay for. They don't let loose of the non-selling books because they expect many of the authors with those to become more and more desperate with every passing day until they open their wallets to get their books on the market.

Memphis Ed

Big Elvis fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edhorrell.com
jean marie - Can you explain this? I'm getting from your posts that you sold several hundred books and yet your contract was cancelled for lack of sales? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

Deborah-

This might help...the last thing PA wants is a book that sells a few copies each month. That is too much work for to little profit. They want the newbie to order 50-60 books and then go away. If they could figure a way to get large single orders of one book, they'd love that, but that doesn't happen. They love it when the Frank Weaver's of the world order a couple of hundred per order, but the onesie/twosie orders hurt them, so they invoke the clause that can put them our of their misery.

Remember, after the initial order of books, most of the PA authors literally don't sell any more. They love the idea of books signings, when authors will buy a pile of books at one time. Jean Marie wasn't doing that...she was waiting on Borders to order her books. With the discount and small orders, PA said "that's enough....breaks over" and canceller her utilizing their "out" in the contract.

Authors like Changling are of no intersted to PA because he isn't goning to buy any books from them (his is a good book, btw). Newbies are of tremendous interest as they are going to buy books for gifts, signings, reviews, family, etc on one intial order. Once they get their royalty checks, gone like Changling. New set of authors, such as ones waiting over at the PAMB come, old ones go. Strictly their business model.

Remember how they work...they don't print a word. They are brokers....you order, they pull file and contact printer, book is printed, they pay printer. They nor the printer want to run one or two copies at a time.

Hope this helps you and anyone interested in PA. They want the initial order, maybe one more, and then want you out. This helps understand that with "14,000 happy authors", only about 100 (if that many) post at PAMB and the majority of those are new.

Last edited:

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good

JennaGlatzer said:
Thank you to the writer who just made my day by pointing me to this:

http://www.courts.com/FedAlert/reportAug22/encyclopaedia.htm

I hope this will make your day, too!

Now... can anyone read the documents?

Maybe Jaws will check it out. Whatever that ACER password business is.

I wish I knew the details of the infringemnet. Maybe more of our books have infringements as well. WHoot!

But, I like it.

Er, Duh, maybe PublishbBritannia?

Last edited:

Jaws

Apex Predator
Registered
Reaction score
Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
Website
scrivenerserror.blogspot.com
Yes, it's trademark infringement (among other legal issues). I've posted a copy of the complaint on my website. Warning: This is a scanned, 250kb PDF file. The link below takes you to my descriptive segment on PA, from which you can grab a copy of the file. (Not all at once, please; there are limits on available bandwidth!)

Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc. v. PublishAmerica LLP

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
And such a beautiful PDF file it is, Jaws. Thank you.

Now the only thing that might keep PA out of a courtroom is whether their noses are too long for the rest of their bodies to fit inside. ;)

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does this mean that every book they've printed with the Britannica mark on it must be destroyed, and that said books supplied to the authors who can't sell them, and have them in their homes must be reprinted. Whoot!

They've changed something on the site the logo doesn't say PublishBritannica.

It says PublishBritannia. Maybe it's to close for comfort.

Good file Jaws, thanks.

Tilda

Registered
Reaction score
engrose said:
Hi everyone. I hvae been reading most (to many to do all) of these posts and i am saddened to find out the people that i thought were going to get me known out there as an author are not.
Patricia Tuthill

Welcome, Patricia. This is quite a co-incidence from my part, as I was reading the PA board just today, clicked on your signature and visited your website:)

I'm sorry that you were taken. You have much company and sympathetic ears here. Of course, if you go against PA, prepare for the "Don't take that tone with us! Your messages hardly make sense!" -emails, and the banning from the PA boards. It is a cult, where one opinion rules.
But the doors here are always open.:Coffee:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
changling said:
They've changed something on the site the logo doesn't say PublishBritannica.

It says PublishBritannia. Maybe it's to close for comfort.

Damn, I hope this doesn't mean my Chicago vacation is cancelled. ;)

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Britannica

Jaws said:
Yes, it's trademark infringement (among other legal issues). I've posted a copy of the complaint on my website. Warning: This is a scanned, 250kb PDF file. The link below takes you to my descriptive segment on PA, from which you can grab a copy of the file. (Not all at once, please; there are limits on available bandwidth!)

Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc. v. PublishAmerica LLP

Oh my goodness....

If I could do a cartwheel...I would be doing them all over my office right now. PA's egotisical approach to EVERYONE is finally biting them in the butt! They were warned by attorneys for Enclyclopaedia Britannica to quit using their name - AND THEY IGNORED THEM! HOW MORONIC!!!

And, for those of us who had input with the press....THEY QUOTED THOSE ARTICLES AS PROOF THAT PA IS A SHODDY ORGANIZATION!! The things they have done to their authors have finally come home to roost.

Now, don't get me wrong. Trademark infringement is the least of their crimes, but it's a start. And EB is using the complaints of PA victims to PROVE that the use of their trademark by PA is damaging to their reputation.

My, my, my. What a great start to my day.

I have printed out the complaint and am looking for suitable wall space.

Jaws, please keep us updated.

And...GO ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA!!!!

Nancy (Grinning ear to ear.)

BTW, PA....Take that!!!!!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
PublishBritannica

Yo, Larry!
19. On May 24, 2005, counsel for Britannica sent Defendants a follow-up letter, again calling upon them to cease and desist. Defendants did not respond to this letter, and have not ceased their unauthorized use of "Britannica" in connection with publishing.

See what happens when you discard attorneys' letters unread?

Schmuck.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
And, for those of us who had input with the press....THEY QUOTED THOSE ARTICLES AS PROOF THAT PA IS A SHODDY ORGANIZATION!!

I must admit I grinned quite a bit when I saw that. Thanks for posting that, Jaws!

They've changed everything to PublishBrittania now. Please, please don't let that get them out of this!

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
JennaGlatzer said:
I must admit I grinned quite a bit when I saw that. Thanks for posting that, Jaws!

They've changed everything to PublishBrittania now. Please, please don't let that get them out of this!

Not the domain name yet, though. That still uses britannica, though they have been ordered to transfer it.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Speaking for Preditors & Editors (tm), I am proud that my site was considered adequate and significant enough to provide evidence for Encyclopaedia Brittanica's case!

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Gee, I wonder if Willem will have to recall all of his books about the "goliath" that changed the publishing industry since it's bound to have mentioned their former imprint?

Sniff, sniff, and it was such a good book because it truly resonated and fit like a glove.

But look on the bright side, Willem. Now you can write another chapter about how the industry had to challenge you in one of them dark, scary courts because they were afraid to face you in a bookstore.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
DaveKuzminski said:
Gee, I wonder if Willem will have to recall all of his books about the "goliath" that changed the publishing industry since it's bound to have mentioned their former imprint?

I wonder if people who bought a case of their own PublishBritannica imprinted books will receive free replacements or refunds. I wonder if contracts that say PublishBritannica on them are invalid and need to be re-done and if so does that mean if you don't re-sign you're off the hook?

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
NancyMehl said:
And, for those of us who had input with the press....THEY QUOTED THOSE ARTICLES AS PROOF THAT PA IS A SHODDY ORGANIZATION!! The things they have done to their authors have finally come home to roost.
NancyMehl said:

Now, don't get me wrong. Trademark infringement is the least of their crimes, but it's a start. And EB is using the complaints of PA victims to PROVE that the use of their trademark by PA is damaging to their reputation.QUOTE]

Yes Nancy, and lets hope that with readings and testimony, if it comes to that, more lies and deception will come forth.

But can they pay and stay out of court Jaws? Settle?

Anyway, better send out all the royalty money too. And, you three sitting in those leather chairs I bought, Run!

It is glorious to see that they now know that they aren't above any laws.

Wonder how they'll explain their way out of this one. They can't say they've never been sued anymore.

More National press for P.A.

Today we were sued by The Britannica corporation. What luck for us, and you, our wonderful authors.
Because we've had to pay 75,000 dollars, plus other damages and fees, we are proud to offer you this book selling scam discount. This is a one time offer of 55% off the retail price of your books. We will continue this offer until we make the money back we had to pay.

Order now and we'll send you a free copy of our fantastic owners new book.

"How to steal a Golith Encyclopedia company's trademark, and get others to foot the bill."

Status
Not open for further replies.