The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Publisher] Amazon Shorts

[Publisher] Amazon Shorts

I have been invited to submit short stories for Amazon Shorts. I wonder if any of you have done so and what your experience has been with submitting your work.

Please could you let me know.

Thanks,
    Barbara

Do any of you know if you lose copyright of your work if it is submitted to Amazon.com

Please reply if you have any information.

Thanks,

Barbara

practical experience, FTW
    They only thing I know about Amazon Shorts is that it is very popular with PA authors and like PA I don't see the point of it. Who is even going to know your work is on there apart from family and friends?

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    Some of the AW'ers have Amazon Shorts too. I know Joe Ekaitis does. And I think more popular writers do too, like JA Konrath.

I don't know how readers find 'your' story though.
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

practical experience, FTW
    Well if I was searching for an author's work on Amazon I would expect to come across/be given links to their other available work including short stories on there. But that's the problem isn't it, usually people have to know who you or have prior knowledge of the book to find it/look for it online. People may make the effort to search out everything available by a well known author but what about everybody else?

Saying that I use Amamzon to buy books all the time and I have never been linked to short stories available by an author or seen such an option advertised on the site. If I hadn't seen a lot of PA authors talking about their Amazon Short fiction I wouldn't even know it existed. I would be curious to know how it all works by any AW authors who have fiction on there. How do people know the stories are there? How are they selling? What is Amazon doing to make buyers aware that these stories are available?
    Last edited by endless rewrite; 01-17-2007 at 07:53 PM.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Amazon Shorts was originally presented as an outlet for established writers--supposedly, Amazon would be inviting writers to participate and dealing with agents. I don't know when that changed, but now they appear to be willing to accept anyone. There doesn't seem to be any barrier or selectivity other than that you must have at least one book for sale on Amazon.

You have to grant Amazon exclusive rights for six months; thereafter, the grant is nonexclusive. They don't take your copyright.

Some well-known writers have participated in the program. One of them recently reported that over the course of a year, he earned about $15 from his story (which was picked up by several "best of year" anthologies). Since Amazon won't cut a check under $25, he has yet to see a penny.

- Victoria

I must say I am being put off by the negative comments, and it hardly seems worth participating.

Barbara

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I gave the author contract to my boss, who is a solicitor and he said I would be assigning perpetual rights to Amazon. I will know more on Friday.

Barbara

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    I believe that Amazon.com Shorts began as a proof-of-concept for some technology they were testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duped
    I gave the author contract to my boss, who is a solicitor and he said I would be assigning perpetual rights to Amazon. I will know more on Friday.
    Does your boss have experience with publishing and/or intellectual property law? If so, he may not be the best person to be evaluating the contract. The terms and conditions in publishing contracts are very specialized--to get good advice, you need someone with experience in the field.

- Victoria

The Amazon author contract states that the rights to Amazon are perpetual. After six months there is an 80/20 split of the Amazon short in question in Amazon's favour. My boss, the lawyer, interpreted it exactly as I did. The rights of the Amazon short submitted are perpetual. He concurs and I agree, that it means that Amazon have rights even after you have stopped displaying your work. OK at 0.49c a download, no-one is going to get rich, but certainly never the author of the short story submitted; and in my case, 9 short stories which they have requested. If the short stories are ever published, have I assigned my rights to Amazon for the rest of my life for that work (perpetual)? That is the way my lawyer and I interpret the author contract, but then we are in the UK.

If there is anyone out there who reads it in a different way, please let me know.

I contacted the Royal Society of Literature today (in London, England) to ask the question: If I want to enter my short stories in the RSL competition (entry cut off date 14th February 2007), and also enter them on Amazon Shorts, will this be allowed: Answer - No.

The Amazon Shorts programme is a considered a publication. Therefore, if the work submitted to Amazon is published on Amazon, it is considered as assigned to them for first publication rights and when a new publishing contract is entered into, Amazon have an 80/20 split. That is the way the Amazon contract is worded but I might be wrong.

Barbara

According to Amazon's guidelines, the rights become nonexclusive after 6 months. Which means that you could sell the story elsewhere (as a reprint). I'm not sure what you mean by an 80/20 split.

Can you post the exact language here so we can see it?

- Victoria

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    The Amazon Shorts page doesn't feel to me like there are people involved with the project who know what they're doing.
    Last edited by HapiSofi; 01-22-2007 at 02:30 AM.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Now that my Nine Amazon Shorts are live on Amazon.com I am very happy with the way they are selling. The royalty split is 60/40 Amazon/Author. They have accepted another twelve of my Shorts which will go live in a couple of weeks time.

Thanks to everyone who answered queries in this thread.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    If you are a Canadian writer you can not buy your Amazon short up here in Canada. I guess it is illegal to send the stories to Canada. So, that leaves out all your family and friends.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    It depends on what sort of sales make you happy anyway. From what I hear sales are too low to consider it a market, c.f. a promotional tool.
    Emily Veinglory

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    Victoria, I'm going to email you a copy of what Amazon sent to me for a short story I submitted.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

Obviously no author will get rich from works submitted to Amazon Shorts from a 0.49c 60/40 split. However, I am gauging which of my Amazon Shorts sells the best with a view to expanding the manuscript and turning it into a book. So far two of my mythological stories have sold the most and appeal to children and adults.

I know that Amazon Shorts are only available to US residents at present and I am a UK author, but undeterred, I still sent in my short stories. I already have an offer of publication for twelve of my short stories in book form.

Amazon has stated to me that it hopes to make Amazon Shorts available worldwide in the future, although at present there are tax and nexus problems with turning that prospect into a reality.

Barbara

By the way, I am no longer a Publish America author and have not been for over a year. Although I am happy with the content of my two historical books, being The King's Quinto the Life and Times of Sir Walter Raleigh (1552-1618) and Oscar Defoe and the Victorian Workhouse 1834.

Barbara

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    As a testing ground the issue would be that the Amazon Shorts market is apparently very is small, and not representive of the novels market. I could see it being useful as something you could put out as a cheap 'taste test' to offer readers not ready to pony up for a novel by an unknown.
    Emily Veinglory

Unfortunately, when "author" becomes "anyone with an ISBN", the results are predictable: http://nihilistic-kid.livejournal.com/946712.html
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Like I said, no-one will get rich from publishing with Amazon Shorts. Those of you who are buying Amazon Shorts with the sole purpose of ripping them to shreds for sheer pleasure, and displaying your results on message boards, display a certain kind of spite and malice that will not particularly endear you to your reading public. Is that why you hide behind false names? Presumably those of you doing this are writers, but surely not all of you are published authors.

My Amazon Shorts are doing very well, and I am pleased to participate on the Amazon Shorts program. The Mysterious Island has been in the Hot 100 twice in the last month and that makes me very happy, since I wrote it, albeit ten years ago. If any of you want to buy it, analyze the mythological content based on Ovid's Metamorphosis, which I have studied since childhood, then be my guest. If on the other hand you would like to buy any of my other Amazon Shorts (nine so far) with the sole intention of making a critical analysis then please do so. For every author there will always be praise from some quarters and criticism from other quarters, although the credentials of the critic are rarely displayed.

Barbara O'Sullivan
    British Author

Quote Originally Posted by Duped View Post
    My Amazon Shorts are doing very well
    Can you define what you mean by "very well?" How many sales are you actually making?

- Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by Duped View Post
    Like I said, no-one will get rich from publishing with Amazon Shorts. Those of you who are buying Amazon Shorts with the sole purpose of ripping them to shreds for sheer pleasure, and displaying your results on message boards, display a certain kind of spite and malice that will not particularly endear you to your reading public. Is that why you hide behind false names? Presumably those of you doing this are writers, but surely not all of you are published authors.
    Nick Mamatas is hardly anonymous, so I can only presume you are referring to me; yet I have not bought stories to shred, so I am left confused.

In any case, payment problems aside, Amazon Shorts has degenerated into a display site, with all attendant problems. Dismiss me as you wish, but that does not change the dynamics of what you are getting yourself into.
    ICAO
    ---------

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast