About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Elizabeth!

I'm rooting for you and for everyone who's in prep right now! :Clap:

I'm actually not too worried about prep being over Christmas because we don't travel then (if it was around Thanksgiving, I would've been in trouble). Plus, I'm so used to waking up early to work and working late, that I feel my schedule will be pretty much the same, except for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (my shopping's mostly done, so I don't have too much to do).

** artnerd, if you want to compare notes/commiserate, I'm here. :)

art nerd

nerdy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
supahcute.com
novelette: congrats for getting into Petite Fashion! I'll be rooting for you!

We do have the same prep period: 12/14 - 12/31. I'm not travelling either, so I don't have to worry about that headache. I'll spend next week prepping for prep so that should help, too.

Last edited:

jennlindsey

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, novelette, on Prep! I have the darndest time finding clothes that fit *well* for we 5'3-and-under girls, so that's a topic I'll have to check out!

Someone mentioned a confirmation email earlier ... did y'all get emails confirming your applications went through, or did you first hear at the welcome to prep/rejection letter stage?

I'm starting to look at backup topic ideas, though, man, they want a daunting level of expertise. There are a few I would love to apply for, but I'm afraid I'm not a strong enough candidate.

SherS

Registered
Reaction score
Jennlindsey, the first time I applied I got an acknowledgment, but nothing else (and no "sorry, but no thanks" for not getting into prep). The second time, I got no acknowledgment of receipt, and the first thing I got was the email saying "you start prep next week, congrats!"

And I've heard similar stories (all over the place) from other Guides. Some get a particular letter, some don't -- I'm not sure why the system is as squirrelly as it is, but there ya go. Once you get in to Prep, though, you will be inundated with information, not to worry!

Hope this helps.

art nerd

nerdy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
supahcute.com
I applied for 3 topics and I never received a confirmation email that they received my app. I received 1 acceptance, 1 rejection, and nothing on the 3rd.

jenn - If you can create a great writing sample, send an application anyway. You don't have anything to lose except the time it takes to write it. I didn't think I would accepted into Sneakers because I don't have a fashion background. I simply have a love of Sneakers, and I *think* that showed in my writing sample.

The worst that can happen is a rejection email. :) No sweat.

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
@jenn, there were a couple of times I received a confirmation e-mail in response to my application, but that was only the first time or two I applied. And that was probably close to 2 years ago. I applied a couple of times earlier this year and never got a confirmation but did eventually get a "thanks but no thanks" followup.

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Novelette, Hi! You've already proven your credentials. What's at stake now is your writing skills, your own "voice" and your ability to use the templates and take editorial direction. Good luck and congrats!

Christy

kaynyc

Hi all! This is an epic thread but definitely an interesting one.

I found this thread, and this site, while I was googling for answers to the infamous "why haven't I gotten a confirmation email?" question.

I'm a very close fit for the topic I chose, but I assume I'll have lots of competition. I put together a good application, and now I can just relax and wait (now that I know I can rest easy about the lack of a confirmation email...).

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
My most frequently used templates are lists and profiles, followed by FAQs, Quick Tips, and How-tos. I was asked to stay away from the article template in Prep, and I've stuck to that guidance after graduating.

When I was in Prep, I tried to use a wide variety of tools to show that I could. I don't know whether that was necessary, but I thought it couldn't hurt.

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Most most common templates right now are the much-dreaded list in ACME, the article and the review templates. The article template make a lot of sense for parts of my topic, but that won't be the case for everyone. I also have some glossary items, but I'm awful about linking to them so I haven't added more. After the holidays, assuming I pass my 3-month review, I plan to use a lot more Step-by-Step and How-to, but those take a lot more planning.

I think the best way to approach the templates is to find the non-article template that best fits. If it still doesn't work, use the article template. That helps keep your content interesting by varying the types of things you are writing.

Although there are a few things I find insanely frustrating (and I suspect most other guides on the list know exactly what those are!), I love working for About. I read the "Be a Guide" section regularly so I can keep an eye out for topics my friends and family should apply for! I wish my husband liked to write. There are some guides who work on sites together and others who share home offices, but each have their own site. I think that would be kind of cool.

Christy

EJBorer

I BLEED SCARLET AND GRAY
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I am still struggling with finding the right templates to use - I have been poking around so many about sites to compare, but it's hard to know just from looking sometimes what template the content is in. I especially have been looking a lot in the entertainment section, since that is where my topic fits to see.

I don't have a bit need for how to or faq and I wasn't sure if my list of quoted fit in the list management tool so I stuck it in an article. I have had to put everything in the profile tool because the set up works great for recaps and biography info -- I'm just afraid that I won't show enough range with the tools. My instructor didn't say anything about the templates that I used or ones to avoid or to try to work in.

Just venting -- I just don't want to ruin my chances being the profile girl with no range.

back to work

kewrite

Registered
Reaction score
EJ - I used to the Profile template a lot in prep because it works well for many things. I actually still use it a lot but I also use the List Tool quite a bit. The main thing is to try not to stick everything into the Article template when it could fit in another template.

I was required to use the Step-By-Step tool at least once in Prep, but that depends on your topic, I guess.

Don't get overwhelmed by it. If you write good content showing your knowledge and voice, it's not going to matter if you used the "wrong" template once or twice. Just concentrate on producing good content and covering the things that they want you to cover.

Good luck.

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Elizabeth,

You could try using a the "How to" to write something about getting tickets to her show. Oooh... this is probably not a priority, but you could do a list of her book club books for each year... eventually. =}

Oh, you could do a list of movies she has been in... Of course, I have no idea how that would fit into your site description!

In the end, I think that each topic has templates that just make the most sense for the type of content you're most likely to write. I've never used the profile or the issue tools, because they just don't work for the content OR my writing style. Don't worry about it too much.

I don't miss the second-guessing aspect of prep. Or the lack of feedback...

Christy

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
If your Prep outline mentions a tool, you will need to use that one, for sure.

Some tools I didn't use at all during Prep. At one point I tried to use a tool, didn't do well with it and deleted the document after my mentor had looked at it. I managed to graduate anyway.

It's not illegal to use the article tool, either. You just can't use it exclusively.

Don't waste time worrying about who uses what tool; once you start uploading (in any tool) you will find they're pretty easy to use. If you have tons of profiles, you do.

Keep writing!!!!

PS - Please look carefully at my signature line, everyone!

EJBorer

I BLEED SCARLET AND GRAY
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Nancy - Congratulations!!! Your page looks great!! I can't wait until I have a free minute to actually read it :)

I really appreciate all of your encouragement -- I guess I'll just go down an the profile girl :)

Christy - those were ideas I definitely had going into prep - however, when I started checking around both the chicago travel and talk shows guides have ticket how-tos and the bestsellers guide has an entire 7 part essential about oprah's book club - when I emailed Rachel, she made a point to say not to duplicate their work -- even in my own voice, if it's covering the exact same thing -- SO my point - I'm having to come up with unique pieces to put in those categories that still make ME out to be the expert, and not just them :) Luckily tickets/bio/& book club are the only categories with about stuff already published - that still leaves me 8 to cover on my own. It's hard to believe, but there are over 7,000 pieces of content on about that mention Oprah - there's no way I could link to all of those - or ever want to :)

Sorry for the rambling and weirdness - I just spent 7 hours staring at the computer - now my kids are back from grandparents and I think I'm going to start spinning :)

gotta love working motherhood!!
Elizabeth.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I wish my husband liked to write. There are some guides who work on sites together and others who share home offices, but each have their own site. I think that would be kind of cool.

Christy
How does the application for that work? Fahim, my husband, and I both applied for the same topic - we've both got the qualifications - and it would be fine for us to work together on it. I mean, it'll probably end up that way anyway, most likely, if either of us got it - we edit the heck out of everything for each other, for example. But I didn't see a way for us to apply jointly.

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Elizabeth!

Wow, 7,000 pieces. Ack. No wonder you are stressing. It's probably a good time to enjoy down time with kids. (I'm glad you have someplace for them to go while you work. My kids watch Disney Channel and, lately, Food Network (!) while I write; I've learned to tune out lots of background noise!)

contempochic

it's not easy being green
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say 'boo' for lack of feedback? I know you guys all said that happened to you too, but I didn't really realize what it would be like. I think I had one link that didn't work (felt pretty dumb about that) and a few suggestions to capitalize some words. I guess I suck at title case. Oh well. Anybody new start prep this past Friday?

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Courtney,

Just fix the things your mentor identified and keep going. You'll get the hang of title case, don't worry!

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
How does the application for that work? Fahim, my husband, and I both applied for the same topic - we've both got the qualifications - and it would be fine for us to work together on it. I mean, it'll probably end up that way anyway, most likely, if either of us got it - we edit the heck out of everything for each other, for example. But I didn't see a way for us to apply jointly.

I'm not sure how the application works. If I had to do it, I'd just mention that there are two people applying together, include both resumes (or whatever part may be applicable) and maybe list general qualifications/interests together like you're one unit. If you both want it, I think that's the way to go because you can do a lot more content that way and I'd think it would be fun to work together (if you get along, of course). At this point, you might try emailing the help folks (Can't remember the email, but it should be in that prep section somewhere) and tell them that you'd be interested in applying as a unit if About is open to the idea. That way, you leave it open for one or the other of you to get in, or for both. It would be awful for you to have to compete in prep!

=},
Christy

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Courtney, I have an awful time with title case and I'm forever checking book titles and such to see what should be capitalized. Anyway, sorry you didn't get the feedback you wanted... it definitely seems to be the norm! Then again, for me no news was good news. =}

I'm having an awful writing week. They're building a garage next door and the construction noise has made it nearly impossible for me to get quality writing time in during the day. Instead, I'm here giving out advice left and right. Can you say, "Procrastination?"

=},
Christy

EJBorer

I BLEED SCARLET AND GRAY
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
OK - once again, I am in need of assistance - I'm starting to feel like the bratty little sister always asking for advice - SO...how in the world do you META yourself?

I need to get working on my bio, but I can't get past the first few lines since I have no idea what to put in these things - the actual descriptive parts aren't a big deal, but I was just wondering what you all did when you created your bio.

Thanks a million plus 1
Elizabeth.

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Elizabeth, you can see mine on the Senior Travel site...it's the one I did in Prep. You're basically trying to convey your expertise in a few sentences. Some Guides have long bios and others don't. My degree doesn't have much to do with travel (it's in business and economics) so I just stated that I had a degree and left the subject off.

I think they tell you in the Prep part of the Lounge that you should spend less than 5 minutes per page/article coming up with meta info. You'll need to upload a couple of documents to learn which meta info shows up where. The keywords can be typed in as a big long string of words.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I'm not sure how the application works. If I had to do it, I'd just mention that there are two people applying together, include both resumes (or whatever part may be applicable) and maybe list general qualifications/interests together like you're one unit. If you both want it, I think that's the way to go because you can do a lot more content that way and I'd think it would be fun to work together (if you get along, of course). At this point, you might try emailing the help folks (Can't remember the email, but it should be in that prep section somewhere) and tell them that you'd be interested in applying as a unit if About is open to the idea. That way, you leave it open for one or the other of you to get in, or for both. It would be awful for you to have to compete in prep!

=},
Christy
Thanks, Christy. :) We've both already applied individually (although no confirmation emails, of course). I'll email their help folks and see what they have to say. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.