Status
Not open for further replies.

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
I'd still like to know how many hours of work are involved during the 17 days of prep...

Can anyone tell me please?

I worked perhaps an hour each day because that's all I could spare at the time. My prep was during the holidays - it ended on December 25th! It's what you put into it, really. I wish my prep wasn't during Christmas time so I was able to devote more time. Most people devote two to three hours each day.

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
So I just checked the about site and my topic is gone too now. That's really too bad, I was really really hoping to get the position and I thought I was qualified for it. It was available a few days ago so maybe they just filled it?

I haven't received any type of letter from them so I'm assuming I will get a rejection one soon?

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Shannon:

Maybe it's as others here have suggested - they are still evaluating applicants? But I agree the lack of communication about your status would be frustrating.

I would be interested in applying, but have some questions. I wish there was a mechanism on their site to talk to a "live" person. Any thoughts on that from those of you who are part of the site now?

TIA,

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
Yah, it would be great to get some type of communication going with them. I'll pray you are right and they are reviewing applicants right now.

I have a feeling I'm going to be refreshing my inbox about 100 times today... :)

cool_st_elizabeth

Last person who isn't on Facebook
Registered
Reaction score
My topic is still listed

I applied on Jan. 15. My topic is still listed ... I am, also, getting extremely frustrated!

Aesposito

Registered
Reaction score
another update

Hello all!

I'm done with phase 2 of prep, got some nice and helpful comments once again. I appear to have worked out most of the technical stuff, now I'm more into writing content. I'd say I've written a dozen pieces of content so far, long and short.

Time-wise, I've spent 28 hours in the two week period starting Feb. 23, more so in the first phase as I dealt with the learing curve. Almost half of my time involves technical posting details or formatting content...the rest is researching and writing content, or searching out content to link to.

This last phase I will spend almost exclusively writing, formatting and linking to content.

Their tech help is quick, and my prep guide is helpful and business-like.

Audrey

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Audrey

I agree it would be great to email or talk to a real person there. I'd like to suggest topics but that doesn't seem possible

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been accepted into prep for Manga! Hooray!

One thing that worries me, I supplied two emails on the app and it's a good thing I did. My primary email didn't recieve my acceptance, but my secondary did. Is there someone I can alert just in case my primary email decides to balk again? I don't think the reply to address will work.

Also, how do you know if you're up against competition? Of course, the answer to that one is probably "You automatically are."

Last edited:

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you, Blue! Of course, now I am worried that my email bounced any reply from them at all!

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score

One thing that worries me, I supplied two emails on the app and it's a good thing I did. My primary email didn't recieve my acceptance, but my secondary did. Is there someone I can alert just in case my primary email decides to balk again? I don't think the reply to address will work.

Also, how do you know if you're up against competition? Of course, the answer to that one is probably "You automatically are."

Wow, that's awesome! Congrats! I'm still waiting (trying to be patient) to hear from them, either acceptance or rejection. I'm a little concerned too, I've been having a few issues with my e-mail account lately. I can't recall if I supplied them with two.

Just curious, did you track the availability of your topic? Mine went off of availability a few days ago so I'm still not sure if that's a bad sign pointing at a rejection.

So once you are accepted into prep, is there still a chance you won't get the position - is that what you mean about 'against competition'?

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Far as I understand, up to five people can be selected for the same topic. During prep, your writing skills, etc are evaluated and I guess someone's selected (or if you're the only one, you're automatically selected if you do well).

Seems like my topic's still up. I think it doesn't go down 'til someone graduates from prep. So if it's gone, yeah, it might mean they found someone. :( I might be wrong, though.

Aesposito

Registered
Reaction score

Congrats! I had to set up a filter in Yahoo to make sure all mail from about.com came into my inbox, since it thought it was spam at first (that's why I check my bulk email folder in an anal fashion all the time...I don't trust Yahoo's spam filter).

As for being up against competition, I have no idea. I suppose, the longer it takes for you to be accepted into prep, the more likely it is you have competition (since they'd have to wait a bit to get everyone set up for prep). Or maybe not...hmmm....

Audrey
(whose final review is Monday, fingers crossed!)

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
The letter didn't even end up in my spam! That's worrying.

But I maybe something happened because they use some kind of automatic mailer or whatever, and my email tends to be sketchy about those. I guess when my mentor mails me at the start of Prep, he'll just be addressing an email to me one-on-one? If that's the case, there's no reason it shouldn't go through (and hopefully he'll send it to both my emails).

My server was also down a couple of days ago, so something might've happened there. Good luck with your final review!

Talia: I'm doing prep for manga! I write a column and reviews on the topic for Cinescape. I really hope I do well with prep.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I sent off my application for sexually transmitted infections....and this time I put two email addresses cause now I'm neurotic. Well, more neurotic that usual....

cool_st_elizabeth

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection notice

About.com rejected my application today, two months after I submitted it. The email said:

Common reasons for not being accepted are:

* We were looking for someone with different qualifications
* The writing sample was not exactly what we were looking for

I might apply for another topic. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
About.com rejected my application today, two months after I submitted it. The email said:

At least you have an answer! Sorry it was bad news. I guess you could check the list of required qualifications and see how good the fit was...

I've forgotten - what topic did you apply for Elizabeth?

cool_st_elizabeth

Registered
Reaction score
Arrhythmias ... I guess they wanted an M.D. or R.N. or something. I write books for medical transcriptionists & specialized in cardiology transcription for many years.

I've just applied at b5media.com for another topic ... an existing blog looking for a writer on living frugally, which is my other area of expertise LOL ... actually, b5media turned me down two or three weeks ago for a medical topic, but the email arrived the morning after I applied & the reason I was turned down was because the job had already been filled.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
about.com is also looking for a living frugally guide.

yes b5 media sometimes have good blogging jobs. i check them out regularly but i don't see the frugal living vacancy - how did you find out about it?
good luck with your application

Last edited:

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score

I'm sorry for your disappointment, but I am glad your heard something at all. I suspect my rejection will be coming through soon, too. Good luck with some of your other leads. Keep at it--something will materialize!!

Hugs,
midwife

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
http://jobs.problogger.net/

The ad says "home bargain blogger" - the blog is SimplyThrifty.com. I already know b5media moves pretty fast ... but I have absolutely no idea what they pay!!!

i looked at problogger and saw that heading but didn't read further!

i would have been interested in the diabetes position. i saw it a week or so ago but it was already filled.
given that problogger has 19,000 subscribers the job board probably gets picked over pretty regularly

cool_st_elizabeth

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, diabetes was the one I applied for at b5media ... my husband is diabetic ... small world isn't it Talia? I've been reading the diabetes blog since I first heard of the job being open. The person they hired seems pretty good & she started right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.