About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
I guess that makes sense. Well, congrats again. I checked out your site and it looks awesome! You've done a great job covering a wide spectrum of topics families will enjoy.

Now if only they had a topic like Eating Pastry and Grousing About Work, I'd be a shoo-in!

Man, if they had a Hostess Twinkie Guide, I would be a shoo-in. Mmmm, spongy cake, creamy filling. :)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
...and the horrors of deep-frying them.

(Sorry. Just had to say that.)

I keep checking the About.com topic index but have yet to find anything else that I would be qualified for so far.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Just taking a break from prep. I have my final review on Monday, so my head is spinning a little. I have quite a few formatting things to fix from my second review. Had hoped to write a lot more before Monday...but this other technical stuff takes awhile!
Looking forward to getting some sleep on Monday!

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
I guess that makes sense. Well, congrats again. I checked out your site and it looks awesome! You've done a great job covering a wide spectrum of topics families will enjoy.

Now if only they had a topic like Eating Pastry and Grousing About Work, I'd be a shoo-in!

Well, thanks, but... I suspect that might have been the old site. =} Although I'd like to think I did a great job, it's hard to cover such a broad topic in just a couple of weeks part time. I don't think my site went live until about 5 or so, but I could be wrong.

Christy

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
ModoReese, they had probably started prep (or at least chosen participants) before you even applied. The topic doesn't come down until they hire someone and they won't let you know you didn't get in until that happens as well. The whole hiring process there is a bit quirky to say the least.

Christy

Hmmmm, argh. That makes even less sense because at that point I was checking daily for topics -- so I applied within a day or two of it first going up.

Are positions offered internally? Maybe someone took my subject. Maybe they're getting ready to just hand it to me without Prep. Maybe pigs will fly out of my butt. :)

M

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, sorry for the constant drama. I just checked the site and the topic is gone. There are no pages, no section, nada. Zilch. I'm thinking they canceled the topic, which I've heard can happen. I'm going to email them next week just to inquire, but this actually makes me feel better. How silly is that?

If that's not the case.... well I like the little reality I've built for myself. It's nice and quiet in here...

M

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
M, I don't think you're being all that dramatic. If they streamlined their application process then no one would have all these questions. They're pretty big; making the application process make sense and be the same each time wouldn't be that much to hope for. It's not like they're some fly-by-night operation.

I've heard back from them twice on two VERY different time scales (as in months and months different) and once never heard back at all. I've never once gotten the confirmation email that their site claims to send out either (and yup I added them to my receive email list) so...

I've never heard of them hiring without prep taking place though. But I do like your reality it's way more fun.

Good luck hearing something eventually.
~ Jennifer

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Jennifer.

I follow this thread with interest and I think you are all writers AND winners! I also think you are amazingly tolerant of a hiring and placement system at About that is perplexing at the least and at worst seems to me to be very disorganized and unprofessional.

Why the vast inconsistencies with notification of acceptance into prep, reviews and when you are finally on board??

I'm probably shooting myself in the foot here if I ever do decide to apply again and this isn't really sour grapes. I applied once for a topic, was rejected and decided not to pursue anything else at the time. I also thought the topics within my areas of expertise were becoming too narrow to support a site/page.

It seems like you all spend an inordinate amount of time stressed out and miserable! Hey this writing thing is a hard enough way to earn a few bucks without constantly being in the dark about your status.

I'm also curious as to why no one from About has ever popped in here to address some of your questions - general ones about procedure, etc. It happens quite often with other entities when there is a misunderstanding or serious concerns.

JMHO,

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
From what I've been able to glean in the four months I've been an About.com guide, the length of time it takes to hear back -- as well as other communication related issues -- all depends on which "channel" you're working with. Each channel has its own editors and its own set of criteria. My personal experience with applying for, entering, and completing prep was nothing but positive, because I had an excellent editor who communicated well.

And now that my site is live, I can tell you the time spent on the work is well worth the money they're paying.

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
I'm not sure why they don't just tell people that they've already selected candidates for prep, but that they will follow up if the position isn't filled. It seems like an easy enough process (and would probably save Eric quite a bit of time fielding queries!) and it would relieve some of the angst that develops while people wait.

Just getting in to prep can be extremely challenging and the process is certainly not a trivial one. The reputation of the company, the positive comments from most of the guides I've spoken to, and the competitive compensation are all reasons I've been willing to stick it out. There are a lot of stressful things you go through for the reward at the end (final exams!) and so it's just a matter of whether it's worthwhile to you.

As for not graduating prep, I agree that it doesn't reflect poorly on anyone. Having been there, it's a LOT of work to go through and not get the job. More importantly, for me at least, is that you get invested in your site. Sure you can sell the articles elsewhere, but it's still disappointing, frustrating and a little bit sad.

I'm excited to be on board and am glad I took the risk on going through prep again. Then again, my site just went live on Friday (with the wrong name) and I have absolutely no idea who my editor is.

=},
Christy

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
They don't tell people that prep has started because they might not choose anyone to graduate in which case they'll be inviting more people into prep.

My final review is tommorrow, and I am basically done with my work on it, so I thought I'd give a few hints for those that follow.

1. Don't worry about writing articles leading up to beginning prep. As said in other posts, you will be working with templates that will change how you write the articles. Take notes, make outlines, perhaps write some small pieces. If you really want to get some actual writing done before prep starts, go to an about.com site or two and read through a lot of the articles and you'll get an idea of what the templates might look like.

2. Don't fret about the HTML part. That's easy. Mostly, you'll use their custom markup language. For blog posts, you'll use HTML. But you only need a few tags to do most of what you need to do.

3. Watch your spelling and grammar. This is a post-first site, meaning you'll be writing and posting it live without an editor looking over your work. So, they are going to be looking for clean writing. Go over everything you write and try to write as cleanly as possible.

4. If you aren't familiar with blog writing, go to some blogs and read them. It's a little different than writing an article. You want to personalize your blog and let your voice shine through it. You should also have fun with it. Give people a reason to come back to the site on a regular basis through your blog.

5. Spend your first days going through the syllabus and writing several articles in different templates. Once you learn the templates you'll be using most, writing becomes a lot easier.

6. Copy and Paste is your friend. You'll be writing meta tag keywords a lot, but you can often use the same listing you have somewhere else and just modify or add to it. For example, if you write about Cars and have a catagory for Hondo with a review of the Civic, you can go into the category and grab it's keywords for the honda review and just add a few more like 'civic reviews'.

That's all for now.

Reaction score
Website
www.gardenwallpublications.com
Hi Nancy,

First, the discrepancy is because the site is broken into smaller, more manageable, more personable "channels."

About.com appliers may seem miserable because why post if you don't have a bellyache or a question? That's just human nature. Although I got into prep on my first application and got my site on my first prep course, I wouldn't just come on and post that. Wouldn't that be a weird post.

I think it is very much worth the bellyaching to be paid a set amount to write on something you like to write about!

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Nancy,
I'm not an about guide, but I have been through Prep.

I agree that the selection process is inconsistent.

However, people going through prep don't actually spend an "inordinate" amount of time being stressed out and miserable. It IS a harrowing process--one that many people are not used to and, first time out, aren't expecting, either. Those going through prep come here to gripe and vent to those who've been there (or to ask questions!)

GardenWallPubs, I don't think celebrating your victories here would be odd--in fact, it would be great to hear the success stories as well as the headaches!

But, Nancy, the entire Prep process is so fast-paced and intensive, writers in the midst of it don't have a lot of time to post the "good stuff" until it's all done. (And if you look through the thread, you'll see a lot of About.com success stories here!)

I don't think the About.com reps come here because they have their own channels for sharing information with preppers and (this is just a guess) I get the impression that they are quite overworked themselves. If they spent time surfing this forum and answering questions, reviews would probably be even more delayed! I suspect reps from other companies come to these forums to share information, but also searching for candidates. About.com is definitely not hurting for prospects!

In all, the Prep process is a harrowing few weeks--with no guarantee of payoff--but a decent income writing on a subject you (presumably) love if you get the gig. Like any other job, you just have to ask yourself, is it right for YOU.

Dawn

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
They don't tell people that prep has started because they might not choose anyone to graduate in which case they'll be inviting more people into prep.

I get that part, but I was suggesting that it would be nice to tell people that prep has started, but that they will let them know if the position remains open. That way, they leave the option to invite people later, but don't make folks feel like they're in a black hole somewhere.

ameliawrites

Keep on keepin' on
Registered
Reaction score
Website
herbgardens.about.com
Well, call me a cheesehead! I recovered from my brutal disappointment of the last site debacle(for those not following along, there was none, I am just teasing). I sent in the cheese application just now. I figure they are probably prep for that too, but at least they will have my app if no one pans out.

I appreciate this thread so much! It is so hard to just pine over applying and not having anyone to worry with. I would love to see a more streamlined process on the one hand but then where would the thrill be?

Amelia

cyberwraith

Mumbling darkly
Registered
Reaction score
No, Christy, it was you alright! The bridge topic was the first one. That's a cool contest, btw.

And it did have the Family Internet moniker which would bother me too. There IS a difference between Family Internet and Family Computing so I can relate to your concerns. Top down decisions are frequently baffling. Anyway, I hope you get your editor and an answer soon, but rest assured that your stuff is top notch and reads that way.

All the best,
V

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Christy,
I checked out your site as well. It looks wonderful! Though I have to admit after reading through it, I am now feeling my work is not up to par in Prep!

I have my final review tomorrow. I worked hard and actually enjoyed Prep when I stopped stressing out. Your site really looks great, so if I don't get accepted into About I won't feel so bad. I don't know if I am making sense or not...I am really quite tired.

Basically, I realize the level of the people's work who make it through Prep and into About is very high and professional, so I won't be too hard on myself if I don't get to continue on. I'll keep you all updated.

Now I am going to bed! :)

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Thanks for the compliments!

I have confirmation that the name of the site is supposed to be Family Computing, but they're leaving it with the Family Internet url. I'm not thrilled, because I think it's a bit confusing, but I'm sure it will be fine. Right now I'm just trying to wrap my ahead around everything I should be doing to get my site up to where it needs to be.

klow, this was my second time through prep so that really helped. I spent a lot less time worrying about templates. I also think this topic was easier than my last one. For some topics, you can just write whatever is on your mind, but others require more research/legwork. Anyway, I still have my fingers crossed for you! I could use another newbie to commiserate with.

Christy

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
As far as I know, they take the site name down from the available topics list when they have an idea that one of the people in the current Prep course will graduate. They notify prospects when that person has actually gone live (or nearly so). This is because it's not at all guaranteed that the person they pick to graduate will actually go live. For me, I thought that the time after Prep and before going live was nearly as stressful as Prep itself. I had to write a lot of additional content (I needed to have 5 links in each of my categories instead of 3, and it needed to be done in 10 days). I wanted mostly original content and not offsite links, and the easiest articles had already been written during Prep. Furthermore, Prep candidates need to pass a background check and send back the signed contract after Graduation, and I guess there are a few that don't.

For me - totally worth it, though. :) That's why I encourage everyone to keep applying.

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Prep is done. I had a great time doing all the travel research. Uploading images, not so much. I spent the early A. M. hours today going over every page to find typos and silly wording. This turned out to be a really good idea, as I found a couple of links that didn't work properly and I changed a few sentences and photos around.

Cross your fingers!

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'd like to qualify some of my initial post statements based on your responses.

First of all, I was simply feeling your pain and wanting to offer some "outsider" support. I was in no way implying that you all are whiners, complainers or ingrates. Sorry if that's how it sounded to some of you.

Secondly, I'm sure the end result justifies the process for most of you who have made it through. Good for you! And I wasn't suggesting that writing for money should be a breeze. Personally, I've put myself through plenty of abuse to get paid writing gigs!

Lastly, I was simply faulting the system and some of its functions. I, too, think the About site is a very valuable, helpful resource.

Again - JMHO,

Reaction score
Website
www.gardenwallpublications.com
pssst nancy- I am a whiner. Don't tell anyone, though, ok? It's deep dark secret only my husband knows! Really, I didn't think you were calling us whiners :)

It is a choosy experience, I did feel that I was well prepared.

rachellist

Registered
Reaction score
pssst nancy- I am a whiner. Don't tell anyone, though, ok? It's deep dark secret only my husband knows! Really, I didn't think you were calling us whiners :)

It is a choosy experience, I did feel that I was well prepared.

I'm a whiner too but I have to admit that my experience with about.com so far has been just fine. I have been rejected for several topics in the past but honestly they were ones that I wasn't completely qualified for anyway.

I haven't found prep that difficult so far but I haven't had a review yet so I may change my mind. I feel like I have a slight advantage on the technical side because even though I'm not very technical, I've done content writing for the past year for a site that was started by a former about.com writer and a large portion of the cms and formatting was loosely based on the about.com model.

Greasy Spoon

Registered
Reaction score
My prep finished today, too (for the City Guide to Toronto). While I had no problem with the experience, I'm already pretty certain I won't be getting the job. I think the content I did post was high-quality, but based on what I've read here there isn't nearly enough of it. I lost a lot more time moving to a new apartment then I'd hoped to, but I also didn't do a good job of prioritizing which articles were most important to get done.

Ah well, live and learn. :) This was my first attempt at a proper non-fiction writing job, and I understand a lot more about SEO and such now.

Anyway, I still think the experience is worth the potential reward, and encourage people who think it might be for them to apply. Good luck to all those in prep or waiting to go into prep or waiting to hear if they're going to go into prep.

And to all the Guides who are in this thread - I'll be keeping using my bookmark folder of your sites. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.