About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
Renee,

I am so sorry, sweetie. I think the worst part of it all is putting your family/loved ones/self through all that only to have it not pan out. Yes, I would have loved the job. But it's not the job I'm mourning...it's the time, effort and sacrifice I put in. Maybe that's just me, but I'm suspecting it's not.

Anyway, I'll bet in day or two you'll feel renewed. I already feel better. And it sounds like your plate is good and full, so happiness and great jobs await.

Still, virtual hugs and a giant martini to share. :Hug2:

Ritr

willwrite4food

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.FinishedPages.com
Renee,

I am so sorry, sweetie. I think the worst part of it all is putting your family/loved ones/self through all that only to have it not pan out. Yes, I would have loved the job. But it's not the job I'm mourning...it's the time, effort and sacrifice I put in. Maybe that's just me, but I'm suspecting it's not.

Anyway, I'll bet in day or two you'll feel renewed. I already feel better. And it sounds like your plate is good and full, so happiness and great jobs await.

Still, virtual hugs and a giant martini to share. :Hug2:

Ritr

Thank you so much. I'm already starting to feel a little better. I'm trying to focus on getting back the time I lost with my family during those two weeks (not to mention catching up on sleep!)

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
Renee, I'm sorry to hear that you weren't accepted! I hope that all of those articles can be put to great use with another organization, however, and that another About topic comes up that you'll love even more :)

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Ritr,

I agree. I felt the same way after not graduating prep the first time. This time around, I would have been mourning the job as well, but the loss of family would have felt twice as bad.

I think that's what made prep feel so overwhelming this time around. The first time it was just figuring everything out, but this time I was really torn between making sacrifices and putting my 100% best effort. It's the sacrifices you regret when you don't get the job.

Christy

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry you didn't get About this time Ritr and Renee. It hurts so bad for the first day or so. Even reading these posts of graduates makes you a *little* sad. I completely understand. (((Hugs))). You'll get it next time around!

rachellist

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry there seems to have been a round of bad luck going around here lately. I know I'm going to feel the same way if I don't make it through prep. It's a toss up because you want to try your best but you also don't want to devote all your time to something if it isn't going to work out in the end.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
On the other hand, if you finish prep and you don't get the job, you've still got a big pile of really good articles you can sell to somewhere else. That's what I kept telling myself in prep -- I had twenty really solid pieces of content I could have sold to just about any publication that focused on my topic.

rachellist

Registered
Reaction score
That's a good way of looking at it Patti. The topic that I'm going through prep for (Cooking for Kids) should have some pretty usable articles in the end.

jagfish

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry, R and R. Cuddle your fam and watch a good flick!

Rachellist, did you start prep yet? Good luck! Anyone else starting or in prep now? It's so hard to keep it all straight.;)

rachellist

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry, R and R. Cuddle your fam and watch a good flick!

Rachellist, did you start prep yet? Good luck! Anyone else starting or in prep now? It's so hard to keep it all straight.;)

I start tomorrow and my brain is already fried. I've been trying to write a lot of stuff ahead of time but I finally had to take a break and write on a different subject for a while. At least I have gotten a pretty good head start but I'm not sure whether or not any of it will really be usable.

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
I had my second review today. I'm having some image uploading/organizing issues...trying to fix that...but that takes up so, so much time! I keep thinking I should write more and not worry so much about images, but my Prep instructions say I need them (it's a travel topic).

On the good side, my Prep blog is getting nice compliments.

Sigh.

Slogging...(When I was an exchange student in Ireland, we called heavy duty studying "swotting." That's how I feel now...)

Greasy Spoon

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry to read about those who didn't pass prep. :(
Here's hoping for next time... or that something even better comes your way!

I had my second review today too - just a few minor formatting issues were mentioned. I'm pretty sure I'm way behind in content quantity though. At least, I'm way behind where I wanted to be at this point. We moved to a new apartment between my first review and my second, and I had very little time to add more content.

Oh well. That's what this weekend is for. :)

cyberwraith

Mumbling darkly
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Prepsters,
I've been waiting to hear if they want me for prep for 7 weeks now and the responder email said I'd hear as late as 8 weeks after my query. My topic, Family Computing, has dropped off the available topics list, yet a search reveals said page with the Apply Here link. Does anyone know if this topic is in prep? If so, I can stop scanning my spam quite so closely.
Thanks,
V

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
From my experience, the topic dropping off the list usually means that they've chosen someone. They don't always email you within the stated time frame, I applied for Freelance Writing, never heard back, then got a polite rejection email two days before GardenWall took the site live. (So glad you got that, Garden, btw, because you've had great content up on the site.) I applied for Weird News on Sept. 11, had to email them to make sure they got my application (no responder email sent to me) and now I'm waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Sometimes they aren't the speediest folks around, but I think they're pretty swamped right now. Take a look through the list and see if there's another topic that's a good fit for you, then try again! We'll wait together! :)

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
cyberwraith -- I'm in the same boat as you. My topic dropped off the list and it's only been about 4 weeks since I applied. I'd like to think there's no way they held Prep and picked someone in just 4 weeks. I was really excited when I saw the topic and I'm kinda bummed I didn't even get a chance to go into Prep. :(

rachellist

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Prepsters,
I've been waiting to hear if they want me for prep for 7 weeks now and the responder email said I'd hear as late as 8 weeks after my query. My topic, Family Computing, has dropped off the available topics list, yet a search reveals said page with the Apply Here link. Does anyone know if this topic is in prep? If so, I can stop scanning my spam quite so closely.
Thanks,
V

I think I read a while back on this thread that someone here graduated for the Family Computing topic.

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Cyberwraith, I'm actually fthe new guide for Family Computing. I go live today. I started prep on August 3 and it has been quite a long haul since then. I assume you'll hear in the next few days since my site is going live.

ModoReese, they had probably started prep (or at least chosen participants) before you even applied. The topic doesn't come down until they hire someone and they won't let you know you didn't get in until that happens as well. The whole hiring process there is a bit quirky to say the least.

Christy

ameliawrites

Keep on keepin' on
Registered
Reaction score
Website
herbgardens.about.com
~sigh~ Well it means that I applied either too late to be considered for Cooking with Kids or was so shitty that I didn't even get a *don't bother* email. Oh well, anyone know if the Cheese one is getting ready to go into prep? I sweat it out over the application and would really like to at least get some eyes on it.

Not feeling the love today,

Amelia

cyberwraith

Mumbling darkly
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks MoreThanMommy and Plaidearthworm! Now at least I can stop looking for the emails.

Congratulations MoreThanMommy! I look forward to seeing your site. Family Computing is a cool topic. It will be neat to hear how it goes for you.

I applied for it on Aug 13th, so you think they might have mentioned that a prep for it had already started. Guess that goes to show how slammed they really are with queries . . . .

V

ameliawrites

Keep on keepin' on
Registered
Reaction score
Website
herbgardens.about.com
~bounce~ I am back from the depths of my inner critic's sanctum. Working on my Cheese application. Thanks for the private encouragement everyone!

cyberwraith

Mumbling darkly
Registered
Reaction score
I guess that makes sense. Well, congrats again. I checked out your site and it looks awesome! You've done a great job covering a wide spectrum of topics families will enjoy.

Now if only they had a topic like Eating Pastry and Grousing About Work, I'd be a shoo-in!

rachellist

Registered
Reaction score
~sigh~ Well it means that I applied either too late to be considered for Cooking with Kids or was so shitty that I didn't even get a *don't bother* email. Oh well, anyone know if the Cheese one is getting ready to go into prep? I sweat it out over the application and would really like to at least get some eyes on it.

Not feeling the love today,

Amelia

I was accepted to prep several weeks ago so I think it was just your timing. Good luck on the cheese site!

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Well, technically speaking, I've gone live. But here's the thing. My site is supposed to be Family Computing - all of my categories mention it, etc. I've gone live under Family Internet (a replacement for a previous site). I'm not sure if it was an editorial decision, or someone made a mistake somewhere, but I'm afraid to do any work on my site until they figure it out. Of course, I didn't go live til 4:58 so I'm not really expecting a response until next week (unless tech made a mistake).

The saga continues...

Christy

ameliawrites

Keep on keepin' on
Registered
Reaction score
Website
herbgardens.about.com
Rachel- Thanks so much for your comments. Believe it our not, it helps restore my faith in my writing. :) Bad timing goes down a lot easier than bad writing.
Good luck to you and I hope you get it!!
Amelia

Status
Not open for further replies.