About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Christy.

Nancy - I have never heard anyone getting their prep dates adjusted, but it's possible. I guess it can't hurt to ask. One person I knew that needed to adjust by five days, just ended up having to skip that prep class and wait for the next. But since, you have been thru it before, maybe you can talk to your mentor and get an exception made.

Angela - Good luck on Drama.

popmuze - I don't know because I've never known anyone to get a suggested topic approved.

--Kori

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Christy for being the new guide to Family Computing! Way to go, getting into prep, RitrChick! Yea, I am so happy for you ladies!

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
I know I've been excited about topics before, but have you ever seen one and not only were you adequately qualified, but you nearly pissed yourself with excitement? I just had that moment. They have a topic that...oh my goodness...is so ME that it's not funny. I swear, if I don't get into prep for this topic I will likely drawn myself in alcohol (and I am NOT a drinker!) Seriously, friends, this is it. It really is.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi kiyasmom,
What's the topic? I understand if you don't want to share just yet. :)
Sending happy thoughts your way. I hope to be congratulating you soon!
Good luck.

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Deb, I think my topic actually falls under the parenting umbrella. I believe I'm replacing "Family Internet" and that's where it was. I guess I'll find out next week when my official review arrives.

NancyP, can't hurt to ask, but I'd be surprised since it impacts everyone else in the group. Can you just start working now? At least do your categories and write your first piece and have them ready to go. You're already ahead of the game having been through it before and won't have to spend a lot of time figuring everything out.

Popmuze, I suspect they'll open it up (and you'll probably have to apply). They like to have the competition so they have options.

Kiyasmom, My topic was just like that! It's the perfect combination of my interests and background, and I'm already the go to person for everyone I know on the subject.

I wanted to mention that it was my second time through prep. I did it a year ago for the Boston site. I was a bit relieved I didn't get in last time because, while I was comfortable with the topic, I wasn't thrilled with it. Now, I've got the ideal topic for me!

Christy

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
OK...I need serious, rapid advice.

Today (like, just now) I learned that I've been accepted into Prep for Senior Travel. (Sadly, I squeezed into the demographic.)

That's the good news.

Bad news...It is suppposed to start next Friday, and we have committed to a weekend trip to our old hometown in WV...on a mountain, where there is NO internet access.

Do you think the About.com folks will adjust the Prep dates or my first submission requirement? Since I have done Prep before, I know full well I can't lose those 3 days of work and expect to do well.

All tips appreciated.

Thanks!

no definitely not

i have 2x been accepted for topics, that clashed with other dates. one was a few years ago with exams, and the other was this year when i came down with the flu. they just tell you to reapply for the next round

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Following on from jen_freedom's comments the recruiting process seems to be inconsistent

the last topic i applied for i heard nothing for 4 mths and then got a gushing letter about my high quality application and an invitation to join prep in about 10 days time...

but the first time i applied (about 3.5 yrs ago) I got accepted within a couple of weeks, but I had exams and i was also going away for a few days for a speech competition and i didn't want to add to my workload.

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
Hi kiyasmom,
What's the topic? I understand if you don't want to share just yet. :)
Sending happy thoughts your way. I hope to be congratulating you soon!
Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement! I answer to a much higher power, so if this job is meant for me then I'll get it. With that said, the topic is Treos. I am the biggest Treonaut out there! So, please don't apply for that topic...I don't really want any competition! LOL! J/K. ([SUB]But seriously, find your own topic...:)[/SUB]

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Kiyasmom,
I know I shouldn't admit this...but I don't even know what Treos are! I hope you do get the topic, then I can read all about them! :)

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh. I used to have a Treo. I wonder where it went?!

YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE IT WENT?! That's blasphemy! LOL! I love all things Treo. Oh man, my husband works for Verizon Wireless and he brings home all these Treo promotional items...I even have a Treo pen and t-shirt. :tongue I am such a nerd; which would make the be most perfect guide to my favorite technical device.

Klow, I'm going to pretend you didn't say that...:) http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo700w/index.html Although I would love to educate you through my guide site as well. LOL.

Last edited:

klow

Registered
Reaction score
I am now enlightened! Thanks.
Still, I am planning on checking out your site...so get the About position! :)

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Kiyasmom:

Hate to be a downer, but with your husband's connection to Verizon, I would ask the About folks if your applying for that spot could be construed as a conflict of interest.

Sorry, but my brain always thinks about this stuff...

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Treo and I <3 it! Of course I can barely figure out this one I can't imagine being a guide for them, but I'll wish you luck for sure! ;)

klow

Registered
Reaction score
I have what may be a silly question.

I am organizing myself in preparation for prep. I notice that under "Things you will need to complete in prep" I need "several more articles of the author's choice."

Normally, I write articles that include anecdotal quotes. Is this appropriate for the prep articles, too?

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
Kiyasmom:

Hate to be a downer, but with your husband's connection to Verizon, I would ask the About folks if your applying for that spot could be construed as a conflict of interest.

Sorry, but my brain always thinks about this stuff...

Not a downer. I thought about that. I would never market one cellular company over another and since the Treo is on all major carriers I doubt my spousal connection to one carrier would make much of a difference. It's not my intention to try and boost Verizon sales, and as such I did not mention it on my application since it is irrelevant to the job itself. It just works in my favor because I DO have backoffice access to technical support documentation, company issued rom updates, etc. I hope they don't use my husband's job against me.

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
A big CONGRATS!! to Christy! I'm so glad to hear that you got the position! I'm looking forward to seeing you on the New Guides list once your site goes live :)

Nancy, I think you could totally do well in Prep, even with three days missing. Prepare your outline ahead of time so that you can submit it right away when Prep starts. Usually, you're advised to review documentation until you get approval back on your outline, I believe. Since you've already gone through Prep and know something about the ropes, it will probably take the weekend to get a response back about your outline anyway. And a nice, quiet place to write might be the perfect place to get started...

Although it certainly doesn't hurt to ask, I doubt that having a husband who works for Verizon would be a problem. They do have some strict guidelines about how to handle conflicts of interest - like you would probably need to mention the connection if you wrote an article about using Verizon with Treos or something along those lines - but I doubt it would be a real problem. In fact, it might even be a bonus, seeing as how it gives you an insider edge. I think most of us work in our industries in one way or another.

AltoRose, it is a wonderful place to work! Good luck on your topic, that sounds like so much fun!

Good luck to Ritrchick and everyone else starting prep!

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm going to leave things alone and hope for the best. I am researching and working already on my topic; we're creating a trip schedule with writing time. The glitch about the initial e-mail will hopefully be solved by prompt arrival of the e-mail; there is a tiny library (closes at 4; no weekend hours) there with internet access, so I should be able to arrive with my files ready to send...I hope...when the initial e-mail arrives.

I am taking Deb's words to heart, too, about being able to accomplish a lot in just a few hours a day...for a couple of days, this will be the way it has to be...and I would rather go for it now than wait it out, hoping they don't hire anyone on this round. (I AM a travel writer, after all...)

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. It really helped me get my confidence up.

kewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Not a downer. I thought about that. I would never market one cellular company over another and since the Treo is on all major carriers I doubt my spousal connection to one carrier would make much of a difference. It's not my intention to try and boost Verizon sales, and as such I did not mention it on my application since it is irrelevant to the job itself. It just works in my favor because I DO have backoffice access to technical support documentation, company issued rom updates, etc. I hope they don't use my husband's job against me.

I don't think they'll hold it against you. But they do have a full disclosure policy - meaning every time you mention Verizon on your site you might have to put a disclaimer that reveals your husband works there. I'm not sure how they would handle it but they will have you take steps to avoid it looking like a conflict of interest.

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
Christy - congrats!! I figured there was no way they would make you wait that long for a no!!

Ritr - Congrats on going into prep (not that's you'll see this, since you'll be so busy in prep, but, well, you know)

kiyasmom - Oh, I rememer that feeling of the perfect topic showing up!! I still remember, though I haven't heard a word back in 3 weeks. :( I'm holding out hope for both of us!! (And don't worry, it's not the same topic) :)

klow

Registered
Reaction score
NancyP,
It sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck! :)

cvernonpal

Registered
Reaction score
Sending out my congrats to Christy for being the new guide for Family Computing! Can't wait to visit your site.

Congrats to those who have been accepted for Prep.

I'm currently going through Prep and I know what ya'll mean now about no sleep. As luck would have it, everything that could possibly happen as I started prep happened. Extra work on my regular job. A desktop publishing job that I do quarterly I have to do this week. I just finished another newsletter for a writing group that I'm in. My high school freshman son has needed help with Algebra almost every night. Grrr! My home Internet connection also decided it wants to go SUPER SLOW so I had to use a computer at work. But some how I'm managing.

I may need help (hint, hint) figuring out how to get a darn picture to show up on the blog! I'm doing something wrong. I got a picture to show up on something else, but not the blog.

So to those of ya'll about to start Prep, get things done if possible before you start.

Good luck everyone!

Cheril

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.