About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Nancy/GardenWallPubs, I'm curious how you knew how many people were in prep at the same time as you?

Nancy, maybe there's another topic that's even more perfect for you!

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

Reaction score
Website
www.gardenwallpublications.com
HI KEwrite. Well, the guidlines say up to 5, and four of us were here on this thread. So we're assuming there's a 5th out there...

One time my prep coach said "several" people were in prep with me, and that was AFTER VeggieChick and Catmuse had declined.

I guess the amount doesn't matter, as About is free to choose NO ONE from a prep class, and has done so in the past.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Quick question...
Does About notify you if you don't get into Prep?

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
Quick question...
Does About notify you if you don't get into Prep?

Out of 4 applications, I've gotten 1 rejection, 1 acceptance into Prep (starting next week) and two that went unanswered either way. So the short answer: Sometimes. :)

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
{{{NANCY}}}} So sorry you didn't get it... I know how grueling Prep was. The good thing is, you have lots of content and there are tons of writing websites/publications out there.

Good luck GardenWallPubs!! Keeping our fingers crossed for you still.
Dawn

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
NancyP, I'm sorry you didn't get in! I hope that you find another topic that's just perfect for you!

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
Nancy, I'm sorry you didn't get chosen for your topic! I hope that another topic comes up soon that is just perfect!

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I did the same thing once with one of their guide positions that is too big. I suggested they split it as the topics aren't really compatible. Didn't hear anything...

I gave them a topic idea, they are thinking about it and discussing how it would do at About. They said they'd contact me if they decide to go with it, but I check back frequently just in case I miss it. Don't want to miss applying for a topic I asked for! :)

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Did someone say they were applying for Weird News? Because I'm thinking about applying for that one. Nancy, I'm sorry you didn't get the one you wanted, but I'll bet you'll get the next one! And good luck to GardenWallPubs on the freelance writing one--I hope you get it!

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
I believe there is a wierd news prep going on right now, or at least starting in the next few weeks. Apply anyway! You never know.

So, what's going on with the freelance writing guide? Any word?

I applied for medical careers but now I am about to (finally!) do the sample for ConsumerSearch. It looks so intimidating, I don't even know where to begin! Every time I sit down to do it I just go blank. But today it's getting done. I'm devoting all day to the project. Wish me luck!

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Kiyasmom,

Do you think you'll finish it in one day? I thought they said it would take 12 hours for an experienced ConsumerSearch writer. I have it on my list to look at if I don't get the site at About.com (STILL haven't heard!), but I'm not sure I want to put that much more time in. I can't wait to hear how it goes for you. We may need to start a Consumer Search thread.

Christy

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Well, it's officially been 3 weeks since I ended prep and I still don't have my final review. I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

The good news is that I've gotten better at putting it out of my head...

Christy

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
Christy,

I am on the third paragraph. I want to get it done but it's hard sifting through it all, figuring out which review is more important than the other. If I only had a clue. Ugh. I guess I will go as much as I can and try to submit it as soon as possible. I want this so much! (I also wanted About.com; we all know how that turned out!) LOL!

Good luck with the wait.

kewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's officially been 3 weeks since I ended prep and I still don't have my final review. I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

The good news is that I've gotten better at putting it out of my head...

Christy

Have you followed up with them lately? I would certainly think they decided by now.

Good luck.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Yeah, I would totally contact them. It says right there in the Lounge guidelines that if you don't hear back after five business days from your final review date, you shoul email.

Go do it, woman!!

:)

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Blah. I have followed up. The week after I was supposed to find out, I emailed my mentor, who wrote back and asked for a "site plan" (as quickly as possible). I sent that within the hour and didn't hear anything. I emailed her the Friday after I was supposed to find out and she said I'd hear early the following week, but it was her last day so I should check in with Eric. The following week was Labor Day, so I emailed Eric on Wednesday to ask how things were progressing and he said he'd look into it. On Friday, when I hadn't heard back, I dropped him a note to see if there was any chance I'd know anything before the weekend. Once again, he said he'd ask around. Still haven't heard. The thing is that I've had a few other opportunities on hold while waiting for About results. I don't want to make other major commitments because I'd rather focus on the About site, but I don't want to miss out on other things while I'm waiting indefinitely.

I guess at this point, I'd just like to know what's going on. Am I still up against someone else? Is it my site plan that's the problem? Are they rethinking their own vision for the site?

Ok, my rant is over. I just really want the job and it's hard to scramble to put everything together only to wait for weeks to get a result. Then to see other folks getting their results, ACK!

=},
Christy

Reaction score
Website
I think you have every right to be upset. Doesn't mean they don't have a good reason hiding in there somewhere, but....

In other news, I did get the freelance writing gig at about.com :) and I am supposed to go live in less than 2 weeks. Yay. Hope I can help some would-be freelancers get published and get paid.

But, I am so ridiculously busy it's not even worth saying. I have so many clients right now PLUS I am taking one grad course this semester, so things are getting a little crazeeeee!

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
I am so happy to be the first to congratulate you, GardenWall! I know you put your entire self into your Prep process...and I can't wait to see your live About.com site!

I know you'll be a great Guide. I wish you all the best!

Reaction score
Website
You guys are so sweet. Please do keep doing what you're doing: communicating about making a living writing...cause this is where I picked up all the ideas for my site- all the questions that came up again and again- I just answered them the best I could. The site is aimed at beginners, which I LOVE and honestly, I think that if I could do it, anyone could do it with a little support and feedback.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.