About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and applied. It's been 2 weeks now and I haven't even received a confirmation email. Is that normal? I did send them another email via their site, asking if they would kindly confirm whether they had received my application...but still nothing. Hmmm. Very odd.

I also applied although it was just this past Thursday. I didn't receive a conformation email but I remember last time I applied I didn't get a conformation email. I sent an email to the editors and was told it had been received but the auto-responder was down. Recent posts indicate they are still having a problem. Sorry you are being held in suspense.

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
KiyasMom, I'm glad to hear that you've applied for another topic! I hope that this is the one for you!

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
KiyasMom, I'm glad to hear that you've applied for another topic! I hope that this is the one for you!

Thanks! If I make it to prep I will certainly WOW them. And I'll obviously have a different mentor this time so hopefully I will get more thorough feedback that will help me get my site in the right direction.

I received my final feedback this past Wednesday. "You produced some really good content and obviously have an excellent grasp of the material, but we have are unable to offer the position of guide to Alzheimers at this time. Thank you for your hardwork and commitment to the process. You are invited to apply again to another topic in the future if you wish."

Hmmm...It was good content and knowledgeable. So...where exactly did I go wrong? And why exactly wasn't I hired? Not the most detailed final review at all!

maggiesmomma

Registered
Reaction score
Kiya's Mom -It would seem to be a perfect review-I wonder if there is a way to get a more detailed feedback? As for me , tomorrow marks 10 weeks since I applied, and except for 2 e-mails from Eric saying they havent even started to review applications yet, I have heard nothing. I hope maybe this week brings news. Good luck to everyone awaiting word.

Steph

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Kiyasmom,

I would consider writing back and asking if they could give you a bit more info on why you didn't get the site. Was someone else just better? Did you take the site in a different direction?

My review was pretty brief when I didn't get the job, but it was because someone else had more content.

Christy

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
What you may want to do is wait until the site goes live. Then take a look at what the new guide has in place, and see how it compares to your own.

When my site went live, I got emails from two of the people I'd apparently been in Prep with, congratulating me and saying nice things. It was very cool.

cvernonpal

Registered
Reaction score
I got a message Friday saying I had been selected for Prep for weird news that will start Sept. 7. I'm excited but nervous. It took 22 days from the time I applied.

I have some html experience but not a great deal. Those of you have went through Prep, do you have any ideas of where I can brush up my basic html skills?

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
My tips for preparing for prep:

1. Spend most of your time looking for sources of information, brainstorming article ideas, making notes and maybe doing a bit of writing.
2. Poke around the About.com site and see if you can find guides with similar topics. Get a feel for the layout of different sites.
3. Brush up on basic SEO techniques and make sure you understand Meta information and keywords. You don't need to be an expert, but it helps to know what those terms mean.
4. Read through this thread so you don't waste time doing it during prep. =}
5. Clear off your plate - catch up on laundry, dishes, other work, socializing and sleep. Prep can be a bit overwhelming and it's nice if you can just focus on your topic.

Other than that, write the highest quantity of quality content you possibly can during your prep.

Congrats and good luck!

Christy

Reaction score
Website
www.gardenwallpublications.com
lalalala Prep is driving me crrrrrrraaazzyyyy. So, supposedly my final review is today BUT it's a holiday, and I can still log on. So, instead of going back to school shopping with my daughter , I'm sitting here (on 5 hours sleep) producing more content... I just really need this job (obviously). Oh, and did I mention this past weekend, when I put in close to 12 hours a day on Prep was my FIFTH ANNIVERSARY? Prep is sucking the life out of me. I was really really hoping I couldn't log in today. Did I just say that?

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Just as an FYI, I still have access to my prep site even though my prep ended two weeks ago. =} I log on every now and again to see if I can and to read updates in the forum. Can you tell how much I want this job?

I had to keep myself from continuing to write after prep ended... or to edit and tweak things. I was afraid I'd "lose marks" for anything entered after 12pm. BUT, if it were a holiday, I would have definitely kept writing.

Christy

cvernonpal

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great tips. I'm going to start working on my content and catch up on things I won't have time for when prep starts.

kewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone expecting their reviews!

Reaction score
Website
www.gardenwallpublications.com
sooo...it's done. I have completed Prep for Freelance Writing...Now I just have to play the waiting game and see if it was "enough." I feel like I had a tough time balancing my paying jobs and producing the content. I also feel like, when I DID get hours to build up the site, I was torn between adding more stuff versus spending time on perfecting really great solid stuff. But I am quite happy that I finished the process, because it was grueling and challenging.

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Congrats on finishing prep and good luck in final review. Here's hoping you don't have to wait as long as I am to get word!

=}

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
GardenWall is right, Prep is hard. I have to say, though, it's satisfying (when you're awake enough to think about it). I was really worried about the HTML and it wasn't too hard.

Davesite's HTML Tutorial was a real help. I spent a couple of days going through the lessons, which have little interactive lessons on each page. About.com's proprietary language is similar, so I had a good feel for the process as Prep began.

It's just a ton of work to crank out all content, all the time.

Now it's time to catch up on other work, get the homeschool process going, and try not to stress out.

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
OMG you guys! You have NO IDEA how long I've been waiting to post this:

I've been accepted into Prep...for my dream topic!!! :hooray:

After almost passing out when I saw my topic pop up, I sent in my app for Dance last night and got my Prep acceptance today! I think I am going to puke (in a good way! ;))

Prep starts on 9/14, so I've got some time to prepare. Just thought I'd share. Best wishes to those in wait. :)

RitrChick

kewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Go Liberty Go!!! Congrats and good luck with Dance. I know how much you want it.

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Ritrchick! I'm so happy for you, especially after you didn't get a response about the other topic.

And good luck to all who just finished Prep. The waiting is definitely tough! My advice - do your best to put it out of your mind and think about other stuff, as hard as that is!

Status
Not open for further replies.