About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, I saw that topic listed and I wondered if anyone was going to take it. XD Good luck!

Thanks! :D It would be a TON of work, but I'm up for it! It would be sooo much fun! Plus, one of the old guide's last posts had 300+ comments, so it's probably highly trafficked. I know how, uh, fanatic soap fans can be! :Jump:

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
Not a health topic, actually. I ended up seeing one for a Days of Our Lives fan guide! The former guide had been there for 10 years, but is moving on. Talk about great timing!!! I can't think of anything more perfect for me. :D

Good luck to everyone! :)

Congratulations! I felt the same way when my topic opened up! The guide had been there for a really long time, and moved on. I saw that there was no guide when I checked in and wanted to apply, but the position wasn't listed. Finally, after not seeing it for some time, I applied for a different topic and got rejected. And then, weeks later, I checked to see if anything new had opened up, and there was my topic.

I got my approval letter to get into prep in 15 minutes! It was very exciting.

The Days of Our Lives site is probably a great one, because it has a built-in reason for people to keep coming back (to find out about and discuss new episodes). Good luck getting in!

latoya

Registered
Reaction score
Not a health topic, actually. I ended up seeing one for a Days of Our Lives fan guide! The former guide had been there for 10 years, but is moving on. Talk about great timing!!! I can't think of anything more perfect for me. :D

Good luck to everyone! :)
I saw that the other day too. I thought "Man! If I wasn't already writing on a topic, I would definitely apply for that". Good luck! Days is my favorite soap and I have some message board pals who love the show as much as I do. When you get it ;), I'll definitely be telling them to check it out. I've been watching for 11 years! How long have you been watching?

Last edited:

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
I must confess that since I've started blogging about reality tv in new zealand that i've found that a lot more fun than the 'health' topics. i guess i just love scandal and gossip lol

RitrChick

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! Days is my favorite soap and I have some message board pals who love the show as much as I do. When you get it ;), I'll definitely be telling them to check it out. I've been watching for 11 years! How long have you been watching?

Ooh, thanks! Built in fans--I like it! :D

I've been watching for about 19 years. Unbelievable, considering I'm (kinda) young. I have every book ever written about the show--even a cookbook! I know, I know--get a life! :tongue But maybe this little "thing" I have for the show will have all been for a reason! ;)

I'll be sure to check out your sites latoya and wolflady. Congratulations on getting in! :)

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com

I've been watching for about 19 years. Unbelievable, considering I'm (kinda) young. I have every book ever written about the show--even a cookbook! I know, I know--get a life! :tongue But maybe this little "thing" I have for the show will have all been for a reason! ;)

That is totally crazy.

But make sure to put it all in your application. You can't beat 19 years and cookbooks. If About doesn't hire you we'll have to start a protest. I've never watched soaps -- the closest I got was when I was three and my mom watched so much General Hospital that I named my new pet parakeet "Laura".

Of course I've seen every X-files (and have a Scully figurine complete with cell phone) and own all 7 seasons of Buffy so I must have somewhat of an addictive personality.

What in the heck kind of sample do you send for a topic like that -- did you already send one?

I think I'm more excited about this than my About application -- it's just way too much fun.

~ Jennifer

kewrite

Registered
Reaction score

I'll be sure to check out your sites latoya and wolflady. Congratulations on getting in! :)

Good luck! Days is my favorite soap too. I have been watching it since 7th grade.

If you get it, I'm sure it will be very popular and profitable!

--Kori

RitrChick

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are great! :D I want this sooooo bad! I can already picture myself doing it day after day--OMG what fun!

I DID include those tidbit for sure, Jen. I'll PM you my sample and the qualifications (read: sales sheet! :tongue ) I sent, for your reading pleasure.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Did you hear me scream??????

I GOT INTO PREP!!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!:hoora:hooray: :hooray:

RitrChick

Registered
Reaction score
I THOUGHT I heard a blood-curdling "Happy Scream"! Congrats, midwife! You are very well-qualified and you'll do great! :D

Keep us posted, of course! ;)

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! The timing will be a challenge, but I'll just have to work harder, that's all.

Jen, hopefully you'll get positive news soon. :Hug2:

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Prep starts Friday.

I do have a question about graphics. I see that the ADAM site has info with anatomy pictures, etc., but do they have limitations on where you get your graphics? I know I can take and use my own pictures, but what about graphics that are public domain?

Where did you all get your graphics for Prep?

thanks, midwife

sandymae2000

Writing for My Life
Registered
Reaction score
Images on About.com

Hi Midwife!

Congrats on being accepted into prep. About.com is a great place to work.

Regarding images: they have to be free of copyright violations, since if you are chosen as the Guide to your subject, your images will go live on the system. True public domain images are fine. So are images purchased ($1 or $2) from stock agences, such as istockphoto.com or free stock photos, such as those with stockxchge.

Depending on your subject, you can also find free use images from press agents, visitors and press bureaus, media sections of event Web sites, etc.

If you're confused about that, send me an email with your topic and I can better assist you.

Good luck in prep. (Tip: start writing now.)

Best,

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
What Sandy said... especially the part about Start Writing Now.

Most of the images I've used have been my own photos -- I also put out a shout-out to friends to contribute images, and give them credit where due. It's a tricky process to figure out what's public domain and what's not.

Since yours is a health site, you may be able to get images from the NIH or some other such government entity -- often they have a photo gallery on their site that you can use, as long as you give proper attribution.

Honestly, I didn't include any images at all in prep. I waited until I got accepted as the Site Guide, and then added my images in.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!!! That is exactly the info I needed. I like all the pix on your Cleveland site. I see where you wrote (licensed to About.com). I suppose during prep I would just put my name there if I purchased a picture from istock?

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

Thanks for the tip. I have organized my research and textbooks, I am brushing up on html, and strategizing how to surpass the requirements they put forth.

Thanks, Patti! That is a great idea for the NIH site, too. I am so pumped up for this!!

Just editing to add: Yippeee! Wonderful pictures. Exactly what I need....

Last edited:

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Sandy, I'm going to be visiting friends in your Guide town next week (on the way to the guide meeting!). Small world :D I had the best drinks I've ever tasted in my life in Cleveland, at the Velvet Tango Room. Have you ever been there?

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
"Start writing now" is indeed the absolute best advice any guide hopeful can recieve. Good luck! :D

sandymae2000

Writing for My Life
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Wolflady!

I hope you enjoy your stop in Cleveland. I look forward to meeting you in Chicago. Are you staying at the airport as are most of us?

I'm off to look at your site so I can talk with you intelligently (or at least semi-intelligently) when we meet up.

Yes, I love the Velvet Tango Room. Pricey, but elegant.

Best,
Sandy

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
"Start writing now" is indeed the absolute best advice any guide hopeful can recieve. Good luck! :D

Sandy gave me this advice when I was accepted into prep, and truer words were never spoken. Another bit of advice: follow carefully the directions and advice of your Mentor. I corresponded for a while with someone who was accepted into prep but didn't take advice seriously. She was told it wasn't for her before she even completed prep.

Status
Not open for further replies.