Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 145 of 146 FirstFirst ... 457095120135139140141142143144145146 LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,625 of 3628

Thread: About.com?

After a year and a half since the topic opened to applications, and nearly two years since it was vacated.....

I'm in Prep for Radio Controlled Vehicles.

Wow what a change from the 60 items I wrote in the last Prep for that topic. I've only to write three articles before they decided if I'm to go to weeks 2 and 3

Congrats.

Yeah, they changed up prep a couple of years ago so that applicants wouldn't feel pressure to write a bunch of articles and instead focus on quality.
    Read all about the iPad.

Wow and after passing stage one of Prep, I now notice the entire site interface has changed from ACME. Man, I KNEW that system, lol. Now to relearn another one.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin JD Laukkonen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncarved View Post
    Wow and after passing stage one of Prep, I now notice the entire site interface has changed from ACME. Man, I KNEW that system, lol. Now to relearn another one.
    Do they have you working in IDB for prep? We still have access to both ACME and IDB, or at least I do. I did prep last spring in ACME (IDB wasn't even an option until I got access to the live site after passing prep)

yes I've no access to ACME, only the new IDB interface. Since they are going to phase out ACME they have me on the new system learning it instead.

I didn't even know they were going to phase out ACME. The new interface still has the guts of it in place. (Templates are the same.)
    Read all about the iPad.

That's what I heard at least.
    Got the GI site built today. All the things on the list completed. Now to wait for feedback.

The 15th is my final evaluation date.
    I got to add three extra blog posts. I was having tons of fun with the GI site. Now to wait and see.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Wow long time to wait to hear back from them.... you would think they would want to fill positions sooner. I just applied a few days ago for a topic position on international adoption. Dont expect to hear from them soon.

Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by AlexieNichole View Post
    Wow long time to wait to hear back from them.... you would think they would want to fill positions sooner. I just applied a few days ago for a topic position on international adoption. Dont expect to hear from them soon.

Suzanne
    The long waits are due to the way About's hiring process works. They wait until they have a number of applications for the same position and then put all of the applicants through prep at the same time.

If there aren't many qualified applicants for a given site, the wait can be really long. If there are a lot of qualified applicants, it won't. I only had to wait about a month before I heard back on my application.

Could any about.com active member post the list of the topics they are "actively seeking guides" for like was once done on this thread? I know that in the lounge area they typically post up the ones they are most wanting to fill soon. I'd appreciate it.

I haven't seen them make that type of post in quite a while. I think they are too busy with other changes to produce that list.
    Read all about the iPad.

Dust Bunnies are NSA Agents! robjvargas's Avatar
    Could any about.com active member post the list of the topics they are "actively seeking guides" for like was once done on this thread? I know that in the lounge area they typically post up the ones they are most wanting to fill soon. I'd appreciate it.
    Just to be clear, you know about their "Be A Guide" page, right?

http://guide.about.com/gdapplynow.htm

That simply lists open positions, not ones they are listing as a priority. So maybe not the same thing.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    -Robert A. Heinlein-

Quote Originally Posted by robjvargas View Post
    Just to be clear, you know about their "Be A Guide" page, right?

http://guide.about.com/gdapplynow.htm

That simply lists open positions, not ones they are listing as a priority. So maybe not the same thing.
    yes not the same thing.
    Active guides see a list of ones that that are "top priority". I know this is a long thread but during the vast pages there were people who posted that from time to time, usually a list of 5-8 topics that they were actively seeking to fill.

Appreciate it though, just not the same thing

And thanks herdon, that's too bad.

Dust Bunnies are NSA Agents! robjvargas's Avatar
    I wonder if the sale of the domain from the Times to IAC Interactive hasn't played a part in that.

I know that the user forums have been in a slow long-term decline.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    -Robert A. Heinlein-

I'll make sure to pass on the list next time I see one, unless someone beats me to it. In the meantime, Neil (CEO of About.com) mentioned in an email today that they're actively looking for "experts" (we're not guides anymore) in over 200+ areas, and that they're really ramping up and streamlining that whole process.

The new page to check out for information on what they're looking for and how to apply is: http://experts.about.com/

They seem to really be growing the list and trying to narrow down topics. In some cases, I think they might be too narrow, but that is up to applicants to decide.
    Read all about the iPad.

I finally got in

practical experience, FTW Abderian's Avatar
    I finally got in
    Well done, Uncarved. Can I ask, is this revenue share or straight payment?

I've a pay per article, up to a maximum per month and I have page view pay. I get whichever is greater of the two.

practical experience, FTW Abderian's Avatar
    I've a pay per article, up to a maximum per month and I have page view pay. I get whichever is greater of the two.
    Thanks.

I used to be a guide. Didn't like. Thats why it's past tense.

I see that About.com has opened up quite a few topics, some of which interest me. However, I can't find anything at all regarding their current pay rates. Does anyone have any insight into what they pay writers these days?

Thanks!

See my post above. For actual amounts per article and per PV it will vary and if any of us tell you what we're making we violate the NDA

Page 145 of 146 FirstFirst ... 457095120135139140141142143144145146 LastLast