About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notwriting4free

Registered
Reaction score
I applied to one of the guide positions about this time last year and I didn't get it. I'm wondering if there are any tips that anyone has to improve what I sent them last year. I'd at least like to make it to prep this year.

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
Try to get your app in ASAP if you can...this is because they look at apps on a rolling basis and the first 5 (I think it's 5) qualified candidates who apply get into Prep.

Also, even though they ask for a brief summary of qualifications, the one time I got into Prep is the time that I listed pretty much ALL of my experience, not the brief lists I previously had. My sample was also previously published and I posted the link to it.

Writing Mom

Writer and SAHM
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the Rodeo guide position? I applied 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. Although the initial email did say it could be up to 8 weeks to hear anything. It doesn't seem like rodeo would be a very popular guide position, so I wonder how close they are to getting 5 qualified applicants...

MrAlex'sMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Writing Mom: If it isn't a popular topic, it can take forever to hear back from them. :( I've been waiting nearly 11 weeks on one app and only a little more than a month on the other. Another person has been waiting for about six months at this point, although that topic has at least gone into prep once in that time.

notwriting4free: I've read a few tips and tricks for increasing your chances of getting accepted into prep, like overloading the qualifications section and tailoring your writing sample. I can't find the article right now, but I read a good one about how About.com likes specific article formats (for example, Top 10 articles). Anyway, if you really tailor your sample to the topic and one of the various writing-for-the-web formats the company likes, you might be able to increase your chances of getting accepted, provided your writing sample and qualifications are good, of course! :D

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
Ah, crap. I didn't get into the guide program. I hope it's just because they found 5 canidates before they got to my app, and not that they thought I was a dweeb. It was for a SAHM guide, which is like, half the bloggers out there anyway!

MrAlex'sMommy

Registered
Reaction score
That's disappointing, Denise. I'm sorry you didn't get in this round. Maybe this round of prep won't be successful, though. No doubt it was a popular topic.

Is anyone going through prep right now? I know a lot of people were waiting on apps.

I thought Kids Parties and Celebrations would be popular, but I guess not. . .

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Sorry to hear that, Denise.

According the application status I requested the other day, I'm still in the running for the Beading guide. (I also noticed the Crochet guide position is open now too. Anyone applying for it? Since I'm trying to re-teach myself crochet, I'll be a frequent visitor. lol)

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Denise, I'm sorry to hear that. (BTW, you are definitely NOT a dweeb.) I hope you'll keep trying...perhaps something will open up that's even more perfect for you!

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sheryl,

If you mean how often they change the available topics, it can be anytime. I've seen quite a few openings these past few weeks (I check almost daily even though I'm currently waiting to see if I get in Prep for one particular topic). I don't think there's a specific day of the week or time, so if you're really interested, I'd check in every day to see what's new.

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
Bummer, Denise! :-( I would think the SAHM topic would get quite a lot of candidates, so...you probably had to jump on that right away.

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
Nancy P ~ I keep running into you! I'm in an About.com prep right now and need to look up how to AP write 18th century and found your blog site.

I love it. I'll be a regular.

I also home educate and am wondering if I can really pull off writing for about and doing the kids at the same time.

Alicia

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, I'm sorry, Denise. :Hug2: Trying not to feel sorry for myself, though -- I'd also applied for SAHM. :) I've been out of commission with some health stuff for a few weeks and was almost afraid to check my email today for fear I'd actually gotten an invitation to prep and had lost my chance by missing the start date, lol! Ah well.

I also noticed the Crochet guide position is open now too. Anyone applying for it?
Hehe, that's my other app on file. I applied back in October and I know they've been through at least one prep without hiring anybody, but they're back in prep again now, it looks like. Two strikes with one app status e-mail! :tongue

(Trying to keep a positive attitude, but it is disheartening.)

Good luck to everybody with an app or apps in to About! :D

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'll keep checking with About. Sounds like a lot of work, I'm almost (almost!) glad I didn't get in there.

What kind of beading do you do Jen? Anything beyond stringing pretty rocks on memory wire and I get frustrated. There was this really great beading "bar" near my in-laws that let you work in their store, then would help you get the clasps on. Nice place. My craft closet is full of beads that might make it into something when I get a round to it...

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any Guides reading?

I'm in a training program and I think my writing is passing muster. I know it's different on each topic, but I'm wondering how many of those in part one are advanced onto part two? Any idea at all?

I'm just wondering how many people I'd be competing with.

Also, any pointers on part two of the training? My understanding is that About.com is using a new tool that's easier to navigate than the older one.
Was part two a nightmare? Or?

Thanks for any help!

Alicia

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Are there any Guides reading?

I'm in a training program and I think my writing is passing muster. I know it's different on each topic, but I'm wondering how many of those in part one are advanced onto part two? Any idea at all?

I'm just wondering how many people I'd be competing with.

Also, any pointers on part two of the training? My understanding is that About.com is using a new tool that's easier to navigate than the older one.
Was part two a nightmare? Or?

Thanks for any help!

Alicia

Hiya. I can try to answer until a newer Guide who did your style of Prep shows up. :)

You are competing with up to 5 people. As far as I know, they would pass on anyone whose writing is good enough, so it depends on the people you are with.

It's not that About.com is using a new tool that's easier than when I did Prep. It's just the whole style of Prep. I had to do both the writing and learn the tools throughout, in 17 straight days.

The tools aren't too bad to use. There are a lot of documents in the Lounge that explain how to use it all. You can email me if you have some specific questions.

Good luck!

Last edited:

RamJay

Registered
Reaction score
The second round of prep lasts about 10 days and focuses on learning the publishing tools and building the site. You don't have to write any more, but can if you want to. They give you the steps they want you to take and mini-deadlines to accomplish everything. You use the stories you wrote during the first round to fill out the second round. To prepare I would look at a guide site on About and kind of map out where you think your different pieces of content should go -- as the main story, the essential links to the top left, etc. Also come up with a list of categories. That will be the first thing you'll be asked to provide. If you can read up on a few SEO techniques, that may save some time as well.

As for the actual work on it, I found it to be less stressful than the first round even though writing is my strength. It may have elements that are a little more time consuming, especially if you aren't used to a content management system at all, but their tools are fairly straight forward and there is plenty of documentation on how to use them. I think I enjoyed it because it gave a little time off of thinking about all the content and allowed me to be creative in a different way.

Take this round seriously as it will lay the foundation for your site if you get the job. Look at it as you are now building the site.

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
Ram and Princess ~ you're both wonderful. Thanks!

I understand that I'm competing with 4 others in round 1. I'm wondering how many they usually advance to round 2. Is it usually all 5??

Was there one or things on the About site that you found particularly helpful? Also, any suggestions on what to read to get the hang of SEO?

Thank you again this info. is very helpful.

Alicia

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
I think they advance all as long as their writing is up to snuff, but I could be wrong.

Look at sites that are already up that are close to your topic for ideas of how things should be written. There is a certain style that you will see for many of the different template types.

There are documents on the Lounge that can help you with SEO. If you email me, I can help you find them or answer any other questions :)

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm in stage 2 and am writing my categories. Any tips?

Thanks,

Alicia

Crystal Lewis

Courageous Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just learned that my topic went into prep without me. I'm a little bit bummed, but not too badly disappointed. After all, I waited for about 12 weeks and during that time, I became so busy with other projects that I knew that I might not be able to go through prep if I was accepted.

If anyone here is prepping for the Cols, Ohio topic, I wish you the absolute best of luck!!! =)

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Crystal! 12 weeks is a long time to wait to hear that, too.

Tomorrow will be 8 weeks for me and I'm surprised that I'm still sane. The waiting is really a pill.

At least you're busy with other projects!

Have a cookie -- :e2cookie:

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If I didn't get picked for training...and they only take the first 5, will they take the next 5 apps if no one works out? My topic of choice is still listed as available. Should I reapply, or will they go down the list if they need more applicants?

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
Denise, from my understanding, if no one graduates Prep, they go back to their pool of applicants. I assume they then choose from the next 5 qualified applicants. I wouldn't reapply...so long as you check your application status and it says they still have your app on file, you're still in the system. Plus, when you apply, they ask that you don't reapply because it'll take longer to look at the apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.