Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
Hi, everyone - just popping in to say I am the new Guide to Small Farms! I went live on Jan 15th.

(And sorry, Thrillride - I know you were hoping no one had passed Prep. I am sure a good topic will come up for you!)

Congrats, Lauren!

No, no...it's all good! I'm keeping my eyes open over there, meanwhile, I have three places I write for and another one coming up soon, so, it's all happening the way it was meant to be! I'm happy for you!

schapni

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting for reply

Has anyone else submitted applications lately? I have almost 5 and still have not gotten word back on any of them, I am so anxious to hear back, the waiting is horrible.

blueobsidian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersblocks.blogspot.com
The waiting is definitely one of the hardest parts of applying to About. I have one application out right now, but I only sent it a week and a half ago. There are so many reasons that it takes time -- busy editors, a group has already been selected for prep but they are keeping your application, not enough applications for the topic yet, etc. They say it can take up to eight weeks to review applications, and that is definitely true sometimes.

In my experience, I actually find the waiting to be a good thing. In my four previous applications, waiting meant that my application was good but I applied too late. People who made it earlier than I did were invited to prep. When they didn't think my application was a match for the topic, they let me know immediately.

Go find something else to work on to take your mind off of it! They will get back to us eventually. :)

Last edited:

schapni

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much!

The waiting is definitely one of the hardest parts of applying to About. I have one application out right now, but I only sent it a week and a half ago. There are so many reasons that it takes time -- busy editors, a group has already been selected for prep but they are keeping your application, not enough applications for the topic yet, etc. They say it can take up to eight weeks to review applications, and that is definitely true sometimes.

In my experience, I actually find the waiting to be a good thing. In my four previous applications, waiting meant that my application was good but I applied too late. People who made it earlier than I did were invited to prep. When they didn't think my application was a match for the topic, they let me know immediately.

Go find something else to work on to take your mind off of it! They will get back to us eventually. :)

Thanks so much, I had not thought of it like that. I remember them getting back to me very quickly also, the first time I had applied to them and was denied. (I had absolutely no credentials and was just starting out at the time) It was why I was beginning to worry something might be wrong, they got back to me within a week and a half when I was denied. I am just going to try and take my mind off it and continue checking my email like a crazy person!!

Amandaaa

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, :hi:

Sorry for popping in unexpectedly-- I just had this page bookmarked in my Favorites...and I rediscovered it last night. :) I've been interested in writing for About for almost a year... but I've never found a topic that I liked enough to apply for. I just started thinking about it again though... which is how I ended up here. :)

But anyway. It seems like I remember someone here getting the topic "15-minute fashion" a while back. But now it's on the topic list again.

...Does anyone know who was writing for this topic, or why they stopped?! (And is anyone here in prep for this right now..?)

(Just curious.)

Thanks for your help. :D

Last edited:

schapni

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like the topic culinary travel went into prep, for anyone who might be interested.

schapni

Registered
Reaction score
waiting argh!!

Still no word, back!! Everyone is right the anticipation while waiting for the news on whether or not you make prep is the hardest part of the application process!!!

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I hear ya, schapni. For my most recent app, I saw the topic go up on what I'm pretty sure was the first day, applied two days later, then waited nine weeks for them to even review anybody's app for that topic. (At least I only requested app status every two weeks though...even though it's an automated response I still didn't want to be a pest!) So I completely hear ya. Keep hangin' in there. :Hug2:

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
I applied for a topic in November, and am still waiting to hear back...I check my app status every now and then--it says it hasn't been reviewed yet, and that they are waiting to get enough qualified applicants for the topic.

I guess we just have to hang in there.

CoffeeBound

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw a new guide opening today - 4-Wheel Drive/Offroading. (Yet another topic I'm not familiar enough to write on with authority.) Sounds like a fun subject for the right person.

alidpayne

Registered
Reaction score
I appologize for not reading this entire thread before asking my question, but it is an extremely long thread. lol Has anyone ever applied for two positions at once? There are currently two (very, very different) topics open that I would love to apply for. I just wonder if I am better off focusing on one topic, or if I should apply for both. I don't want to do anything that would be a detriment to my chances.

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
@alidpayne, I think quite a few people have applied for more than one topic at a time; you can have active apps for several topics. As far as I know, you can only go through prep for one topic at a time and you can only be a guide for one.

Last edited:

alidpayne

Registered
Reaction score
Novelette, thanks for your quick reply. I think I will go ahead and apply for both topics and see what happens!

Mayntz

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you can only be a Guide for one topic; be sure the topics you're applying for are ones you really do feel you can be dedicated to! :)

Crystal Lewis

Courageous Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
My About.com application.

I applied to be the About.com guide for my hometown in the beginning of February. I have been nervous about the application because I sent one, realized I botched it, and then sent another one along with an e-mail to the editors. I hope they don't think I'm an idiot.

I would really love to become the guide, so I am trying to think positive. You know what they say: No news is good news.

From what I've read here, the eight week time line is pretty common. I'll just try to be patient.

Wish me luck! :)

Last edited:

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Good luck! Don't worry if you don't hear anything for a while...it definitely can take time for them to sort through everything. I think my short experience was quite the anomaly, after reading this thread. :)
Have you checked the application status yet?

I am having fun rooting for one of my dear friends. A topic that is absolutely perfect for him just opened up this past week. If he gets into Prep he will have a big advantage, since I'll be right there helping him learn all the tools, etc :)

Last edited:

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you Crystal! :)

Something I never expected to happen just happened. Backstory: In October I applied to an available topic. In December it went to prep without me. In the meantime I've been checking About every day to see what other topics I might be qualified to apply for, and I expected to see my other topic disappear when they hired someone. But it's still there.

So for giggles I used the Application Status Tool...and I got the message saying they haven't yet had a chance to review my application (the message with no mention of working with a group of applicants). I didn't know it was possible to get that message again after you get the one that says they're working with a group.

So now I'm wondering if they didn't graduate anybody from prep and if I might have another shot....I know they've done that before, not graduate anyone...gah, why do I do this to myself? :tongue More waiting I guess!

Crystal Lewis

Courageous Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
I've been using the App Status tool. (Admittedly quite often).

My application still hasn't been reviewed according to the last email response I received on March 5.

JMcIntosh

Registered
Reaction score
I've been checking out the available topics lately, and meanwhile happened to notice that About has reduced its pay from $750 to $675 a month for the first 2 years. I wonder why? This is a bit discouraging, although I know that writers can make more than that the first 2 years. But are they cutting back on other incentives I haven't heard about as well?

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
I've been checking out the available topics lately, and meanwhile happened to notice that About has reduced its pay from $750 to $675 a month for the first 2 years. I wonder why? This is a bit discouraging, although I know that writers can make more than that the first 2 years. But are they cutting back on other incentives I haven't heard about as well?
Yeah, I saw that about the reduced pay--I read about it somewhere in an article online. $750->$675.

I applied in November, and the status of my app. is still 'not reviewed.'

They're funded/operated by NYTimes, right?

Which has certainly set a precedent with front page advertising, oy.

When they have to do it, you know it's a serious situation all over...

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Hi Crystal! I hope they get Columbus into prep soon (I live here too). The Cleveland guide has been posting a few things in there just to keep it up and running, but it would be nice to see a dedicated guide take over.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score

I hate invoking the E word... but it's because of the economy. As simple as that. Still better than the $500 we made when I started, 2.5 years ago. And Guides make more than that almost immediately, because growth is taken into consideration above and beyond that stipend. From what I hear, About.com remains a huge moneymaker for the New York Times... but NYT is having to make cuts all over, unfortunately.

Nefertiti Baker

~*Hot Zen Kitty*~
Registered
Reaction score
I just applied to 15 Minute Fashion. Ooooh, I LOVE that one. It's mine. :D

ETA: Yum! I saw U.S. Politics: Current Events. That's a good one, too. Too bad I'm not a known person in the scene.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long Arts/Crafts Business has been up as a topic? I haven't checked the list in quite awhile.

TIA,

Status
Not open for further replies.