About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamJay

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Nancy! :)

Yesterday was 9 weeks since I applied, and the application status still says they've not had a chance to review my application and still doesn't mention anything about working with a group of applicants. They're either really busy, or my topic isn't high on their priority list. ;) I'm tempted to use the customer care form and ask what's going on, but that might be taken as rude. So more waiting. Sigh. :)

How's everyone else doing?

Nine weeks is a long time. I'm wondering if maybe it would be a good idea to try and contact them. If you are polite and respectful, it shouldn't be seen as too negative. It's not like you've been emailing them every day or anything.

Then, as I've said before, it's important to always be patient with this process. If the site is still listed as an opening and your application is still pending they definitely haven't filled it yet. So look at that as hope.

Good luck. I'm sure it's hard waiting.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I've been lurking at this thread for the past couple of months, my superstitious nature keeping my fingers from the keyboard, but now I'm thrilled to announce that I'm the new About.com guide to Birding and Wild Birds: http://birding.about.com/.
Woooo hoooo! :e2cheer: Congratulations! :D

Nine weeks is a long time. I'm wondering if maybe it would be a good idea to try and contact them. If you are polite and respectful, it shouldn't be seen as too negative. It's not like you've been emailing them every day or anything.

Then, as I've said before, it's important to always be patient with this process. If the site is still listed as an opening and your application is still pending they definitely haven't filled it yet. So look at that as hope.

Good luck. I'm sure it's hard waiting.
Thanks for saying all this. I check every day, and the topic is still always there. Maybe come Monday I'll contact them (as you said, politely and respectfully) and see what's up.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
I've been lurking at this thread for the past couple of months, my superstitious nature keeping my fingers from the keyboard, but now I'm thrilled to announce that I'm the new About.com guide to Birding and Wild Birds: http://birding.about.com/.

Congrats! And that's a great topic -- you can definitely line up birding press trips to exotic destinations. I've traveled (all expenses paid woohoo) in Central America with birding writers before. About.com is a fantastic platform.

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com

I'd applied for one or two sites previously but was never accepted into Prep, and this time I went all the way through. What a mountain to climb! But my site went live this morning and I'm still soaring. I'd love to know what anyone thinks, or if anyone has any further tips! It's sure to be a long, strange ride...

Congrats! I'll have to link to you. I think one of the pine cone crafts I am doing this week will be bird feeders, and other content like putting your Christmas tree outdoors for wildlife.

Also, I'm in Utah too (after I return from a month vacation). Fun stuff!

Vanessa Richins

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Woo hoo Melissa!!!!

What great news! I was hoping they'd fill that Guide spot quickly (so I can figure out which birds are at my feeder...). At my house, birding is a favorite winter sport.

Congratulations! And thanks for sharing your great news - it really energizes everyone here when we see a fellow AW writer succeed at About.com!

Sepvalia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
diyfashion.about.com
Congrats on the birding site! I remember what a relief it was to get through Prep. Now comes the fun of building content for the rest of your days. ^-^

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com

Unless there is something new to add, I don't see emailing them as doing any good. They aren't simply looking for an acceptable candidate. They are looking for 4-5 acceptable candidates. They may have already found one or two and are simply waiting for a few more before starting up the competition.

RamJay

Registered
Reaction score
Unless there is something new to add, I don't see emailing them as doing any good. They aren't simply looking for an acceptable candidate. They are looking for 4-5 acceptable candidates. They may have already found one or two and are simply waiting for a few more before starting up the competition.

Yes, but what is the harm? About does a really good job of contacting candidates regardless of whether it is good or bad news. But after nine weeks if you haven't heard one way or the other, why not? If you're not going to get it anyway, it's not like it hurts you. And maybe it reminds them that you're out there if they still are looking to fill those prep spots. From my experience they are pretty pleasant and responsive when communicating with them. I definitely wouldn't recommend e-mailing them every day or even every week, but once in nine weeks shouldn't be a big deal. They do say it can take up to eight weeks to hear back on an application, so considering this is longer, why not try to find out what's up?

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Which is what I did this morning. :)

But that's an good point about them looking for not just one candidate but 4 or 5, Havlen. I hadn't considered that. I did get a message back saying they'd forward my question to the editor. I'm not sure who that editor is, and I'm not sure who answered me.

But I'm glad I sent the message, and I'm glad to know they got it (especially since the Application Status Tool wasn't working for me this morning). I'm back to waiting, but at least it'll be a shorter wait (I hope! :D).

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score

I'd applied for one or two sites previously but was never accepted into Prep, and this time I went all the way through. What a mountain to climb! But my site went live this morning and I'm still soaring. I'd love to know what anyone thinks, or if anyone has any further tips! It's sure to be a long, strange ride...

That's wonerful, Mayntz, congratulations! I recommend posting your questions on the New Guides listserv. There are a lot of Guides who have been in your just-starting-out position recently and have great tips -- and they can give more specific advice internally than we can here on a public board.

Your site looks great so far! I love the "Are You Prepared to Be a Birder?" spotlight. It makes the site seem very approachable, even for a total newbie birder like me :)

Mayntz

Registered
Reaction score
I can't say thanks enough for all the great support here. It's totally overwhelming to be starting out as a Guide -- you gotta love those long emails filled with links to everything you just have to check out. All the editors I've worked with have been very supportive, though, and eventually I'm sure I'll figure it out. If you want to know about birding, you know where to go!

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Melissa - I meant to say yesterday that I've been to your site several times and I really like it! My favorite part is the 3 easy steps to identifying birds. I feel like I'm already a better observer just by having read it. :)

I got a response today from one of the editors - very fast turnaround and very polite. They'll be reviewing applications for my topic in the next day or so.....crossing fingers again....

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I can't say thanks enough for all the great support here. It's totally overwhelming to be starting out as a Guide -- you gotta love those long emails filled with links to everything you just have to check out. All the editors I've worked with have been very supportive, though, and eventually I'm sure I'll figure it out. If you want to know about birding, you know where to go!

They have a solid process for teaching the basics of writing for the web without totally overwhelming you. During the first three months or so, you'll get some spaced-out emails from your editor that will help with the learning process.

Also, the other guides are a great support network for when you have questions. Pretty friendly bunch.

cvernonpal

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know the status of the Small Farms topic? I have a friend who might be interested in it, but I know it's been up for a while.

Thanks for any information. :)

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
I believe it's in Prep, though I haven't heard anything more about it lately. Can't hurt to apply, right?

Yes, Small Farms in in prep. I had applied when it was first put up, and a little while later - in it went. Bummer. Still, they may not choose someone out of this prep group - you never know!

That's what I am hoping for:D

(Hey, Nessa - I got the Feature Writer position for Mammals at Suite!YEAH!)

Last edited:

princessvessna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Yes, Small Farms in in prep. I had applied when it was first put up, and a little while later - in it went. Bummer. Still, they may not choose someone out of this prep group - you never know!

That's what I am hoping for:D

(Hey, Nessa - I got the Feature Writer position for Mammals at Suite!YEAH!)

Wahoo, congrats! - that's cool. I will have to wander over and look at your articles soon.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
Wahoo, congrats! - that's cool. I will have to wander over and look at your articles soon.

Yes, please do! I am just starting to build it up, and am having a great time doing it. I'm trying to build that section while trying to write some other articles that have nothing to do with mammals, as well.

How is Trees and Shrubs treating you?

princessvessna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Yes, please do! I am just starting to build it up, and am having a great time doing it. I'm trying to build that section while trying to write some other articles that have nothing to do with mammals, as well.

How is Trees and Shrubs treating you?

I peeked at your page :)

Trees and Shrubs is faboo! I am in love with my site. Anxiously awaiting my "three month" (over 7 now really) review. I have big huge plans in the works over this winter and beyond. I am enjoying the gardening world on Twitter too. So fun!

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
I peeked at your page :)

Trees and Shrubs is faboo! I am in love with my site. Anxiously awaiting my "three month" (over 7 now really) review. I have big huge plans in the works over this winter and beyond. I am enjoying the gardening world on Twitter too. So fun!

How cool for you! Yeah!
Hey, I keep meaning to Twitter around, so maybe I will today. Has it driven a lot of traffic to Trees and Shrubs for you?

(Oh and, I PMed you)

Thanks!

Last edited:

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
My topic went into prep without me. Oh well. :(

*pulls self up* Onto other things! :)

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has applied for a topic recently, tried to check the status of their application and received an e-mail that said their application was received for "Test Site."

I applied for a topic several days ago, used the e-mail form to see if my app. was received yet and got this back, after several tries and having the e-mail form not do anything. There is no such topic as Test Site but it's sitting there in the Available Topics (if you click on it, everything is blank). I'm pretty sure I sent in my app. for the topic I wanted and didn't click on this by mistake.

I sent a message to support about it and they said they'd pass it along to an editor, but I haven't heard back yet and I'm kind of freaking out because I want my app. to get reviewed quickly, since I sent it in as soon as I noticed this topic was open (I check the site several times each day).

Anyone know if this is just some glitch??

Status
Not open for further replies.