About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Eric. Guess I'll have to keep on the lookout for when a similar topic opens up.

Yah, I noticed this also. It was too bad, I had finished Prep for Kids Fitness, and then it was changed.... I'm hoping another topic will come up eventually for me to try again too.

Kari D.

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Jacer and Kburke!!! Your sites are brilliant!

Best,

Kari

notwriting4free

Registered
Reaction score
Well I guess this is good news. I applied for one of the topics back in June and I just looked at about.com the topic is still listed and I sent for a status notification and it doesn't sound like it's been filled. So I should be happy right? There is still a chance?

If that's the case, then why do I feel I would just like to know and get it over with rather than waiting. It's been two months since I applied... and it's one of those, "I KNOW I CAN DO THIS" feelings if I can make it through. It still doesn't stop me from wanting to know and wanting the topic so bad I can taste it.

It's getting late, I'm rambling and I'm tired of writing skin care reviews... LOL Can you tell?

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
This week's most wanted topics:

Germany Travel
Marine Life
Men's Big & Tall
Camcorders
Stamps

I can't believe the week zipped by this fast, can you?

Good luck to everyone!

K. Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
Boy do I wish I was qualified to write for marine life! That would be very cool. :)

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
LOL if I wasn't already doing Trees and Shrubs, I would love to do Marine Life. When I was growing up in So. Ca, I wanted to be a marine biologist, and still carry that affinity towards the ocean to this day. I have a annual pass to the local aquarium here. I could so rock that topic!

But I am very happy I get to do Trees and Shrubs...I still feel so blessed. I need to put more profiles up today, and it's time for Mystery Monday again already. :)

Good luck to those applying for Marine Life and all the rest of the topics!

Vanessa

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
It's funny that you're doing Mystery Monday -- just a few weeks ago, I started Magical Mondays! I pick a non-magical item and post it on the blog and ask what people would do with it. It's been a lot of fun. I've found that the more I encourage feedback from readers, the more they participate.

I don't know what your mystery tree is, but it's awful cute :)

StacieinAtlanta

Registered
Reaction score
Removed from Training

I was removed from training this week for a reason that did not apply to me. So I inquired about and was given another reason that did not apply to me. So that was the end of my training. I am pretty upset about it but I guess there is nothing that I can do. I actually got the feeling the editor did not like me or my writing for whatever reason because the reason for my removal was really not genuine or something that I had done. I am stunned by the reason given because in all my years of writing, not one editor has ever said this to me.

My question is this, am I blacklisted from future topics (I know blacklisted probably is not the right word)? Are there several editors that work with writers during training? Or is it just one editor? Is it worth for me to even try to apply again?

I am taking this so hard but my husband says to apply again and not let this bother me but I am very upset. I was kicked out after the first step.

What do I do now?

Last edited:

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
I can hardly even believe I am finally able to write this message, but I was just hired today as the new Guide for Soap Operas! :hooray: Yaaaay!

The best part? I am a second-time Prepper, so yes, another "Try Again" success story. And yes, this time was much easier. True, it's my absolute dream topic, which made the writing much more enjoyable, but really, knowing what to expect helped a great deal.

I also have to give GIANT kudos to the About.com team for the new Prep (or GI Training) arrangement. It is a longer process now, but one that is much, much more relaxed and conclusive than the previous way. While getting "clues" on your progress during evaluations is still not going to happen (as in, "You are sooo going to get this gig, wink-wink"), you will get very timely and thorough feedback on your pieces. And when I had tech issues, both my trainer and tech support were quick to help me with any problems, which was very much appreciated.

Overall, I found the process to be remarkably enjoyable, which I'm sure helped with creativity and confidence. I view this change as very, very positive and encourage anyone who has endured the "old" Prep to try again if a topic they are fit for becomes available.

Best wishes to all. :) I'll let you know when I'm live and ready to "suds up"!

Liberty

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats liberty! Way to go. You give me hope that I can do it too! :)

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Stacie, without specific info on the reason there isn't much I can say about that part, but I can tell you that there are several editors that work with guides-in-training. So, if you go through prep again -- and I doubt you are blacklisted -- you may very well have a different editor helping you through training.

I'm not sure why you would think your editor didn't like you. I know the editors are busy and can be to the point during the review process -- sometimes neglecting to complement what is good -- but I think everyone is given an even shot.

Also, the person giving you feedback is not the editor making the final decision on if you graduate. I believe the editor of the site's channel is the person that makes the final decision -- though the editor taking you through training has a lot of input (obviously).

Anyway, sorry it didn't work out for you. I hope you don't give up on them -- About.com is a cool place to work for a writer.

StacieinAtlanta

Registered
Reaction score
Stacie, without specific info on the reason there isn't much I can say about that part, but I can tell you that there are several editors that work with guides-in-training. So, if you go through prep again -- and I doubt you are blacklisted -- you may very well have a different editor helping you through training.

I'm not sure why you would think your editor didn't like you. I know the editors are busy and can be to the point during the review process -- sometimes neglecting to complement what is good -- but I think everyone is given an even shot.

Also, the person giving you feedback is not the editor making the final decision on if you graduate. I believe the editor of the site's channel is the person that makes the final decision -- though the editor taking you through training has a lot of input (obviously).

Anyway, sorry it didn't work out for you. I hope you don't give up on them -- About.com is a cool place to work for a writer.

Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it. I am not sure why I thought that she did not like me. It could have been me because I really wanted it. I don't know. I do really appreciate the response. Gives me hope! :)

StacieinAtlanta

Registered
Reaction score
I can hardly even believe I am finally able to write this message, but I was just hired today as the new Guide for Soap Operas! :hooray: Yaaaay!

The best part? I am a second-time Prepper, so yes, another "Try Again" success story. And yes, this time was much easier. True, it's my absolute dream topic, which made the writing much more enjoyable, but really, knowing what to expect helped a great deal.

I also have to give GIANT kudos to the About.com team for the new Prep (or GI Training) arrangement. It is a longer process now, but one that is much, much more relaxed and conclusive than the previous way. While getting "clues" on your progress during evaluations is still not going to happen (as in, "You are sooo going to get this gig, wink-wink"), you will get very timely and thorough feedback on your pieces. And when I had tech issues, both my trainer and tech support were quick to help me with any problems, which was very much appreciated.

Overall, I found the process to be remarkably enjoyable, which I'm sure helped with creativity and confidence. I view this change as very, very positive and encourage anyone who has endured the "old" Prep to try again if a topic they are fit for becomes available.

Best wishes to all. :) I'll let you know when I'm live and ready to "suds up"!

Liberty

Congratulations! That is so exciting.

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Stacie,

Don't give up...when you're ready, go ahead and apply again. You'll have an edge next time and you probably won't be so nervous, either. Havlen's right, there are several editors.

If you go back through this thread you will note that several of us (self included) went through the old Prep process more than once before we were hired. I know all too well how you're feeling right now, but it will feel less awful much sooner than you think.

Give yourself some time to bounce back (take your kids to the park and go down the slide with them or fly kites), and then try again.

Sometimes your first topic isn't really the one meant for you. When you find the perfect topic, your writing will flow naturally and you'll find a strong blogging voice. Keep looking, okay?

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Liberty!!!

I am so happy to hear that you found your dream topic...and it's very good to know that the new GI Training process is better.

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes your first topic isn't really the one meant for you. When you find the perfect topic, your writing will flow naturally and you'll find a strong blogging voice. Keep looking, okay?

Very well said, Nancy. While I would have enjoyed the first topic I went through Prep for, it couldn't even possibly touch the one I ended up with. And that fact, I truly believe, helped with writing style and my overall commitment to "get 'er done" this time around. ;)

Hang in there, Stacie. It can be devastating to be denied something you really want, but it will only make success that much sweeter later on.

And thanks for the kind "Congrats" everyone. :)

StacieinAtlanta

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank you guys for the kind words. I definitely have some insight for next time. I really appreciate and I do feel so much better. :)

wordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That fleshy part near the base of the thumb
Website
www.erikageiss.com
yet another prep question

Add me to the About.com trainees. I'm in the first stage of prep.

I just received feedback from my first prep-part-1 assignment, with no instructions and very few edits, so I'm a bit perplexed. (Will read older posts in the thread a bit later), but if anyone can give me some advice/insight, I'd be most appreciative.

thanks!

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
way to go wordsmith. I was wondering when you'd dive in. :)

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Go, Erika!!!

Keep plugging away. Ask your editor if you have questions, but keep working.

Hoping the AW karma is on your side...

Kari D.

Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick message to cheer everyone on ...

Congrats, Liberty! I'll look forward to reading your site!

Stacie, I've been reading this forum for a few months, and without exception people who have been through the prep process more than once and ultimately landed a Guide Site have said that it was the second topic that really "clicked" with them. Don't give up!

Erika, no news is good news. Truly, there isn't too much feedback either during the GI prep stage or even later ... fact is, with the "publish first" mentality of About.com, one of the core qualities of Guides has to be that they can independently write great copy without too much hand-holding (an independence I've come to love!). This is more than made up for by the fact that both Prep mentors and, eventually, editors are readily available to help with questions and issues ... all you have to do is ask!

Best wishes to all!

Kari

ehanson

Registered
Reaction score
I was removed from training this week for a reason that did not apply to me. So I inquired about and was given another reason that did not apply to me. So that was the end of my training. I am pretty upset about it but I guess there is nothing that I can do. I actually got the feeling the editor did not like me or my writing for whatever reason because the reason for my removal was really not genuine or something that I had done. I am stunned by the reason given because in all my years of writing, not one editor has ever said this to me.

My question is this, am I blacklisted from future topics (I know blacklisted probably is not the right word)? Are there several editors that work with writers during training? Or is it just one editor? Is it worth for me to even try to apply again?

I am taking this so hard but my husband says to apply again and not let this bother me but I am very upset. I was kicked out after the first step.

What do I do now?

Stacie,

It sounds like you've worked things out, but if you'd like to talk a bit more about why we decided to end your time in Prep, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to discuss.

ehanson

Registered
Reaction score
Stacie,

It sounds like you've worked things out, but if you'd like to talk a bit more about why we decided to end your time in Prep, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to discuss.

And don't worry: you're not blacklisted.

Jacer

Registered
Reaction score
Stacie,

I too, am a 2-time preppy. I agree totally with Nancy. Take some time to rest and reflect, and if a topic opens up that you are interested in, apply! I did and am now a new Guide and am tickled pink! This category fits me much better and I had some experience going thru prep the first time, although the process has changed now.

And Liberty--love your name by the way--a big congrats to you!

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
For the other About.com guides who are live, I have to ask this question, just to make sure it's not just me. This happens to me at least once a week.

I spent a good 20 minutes writing a nice, thorough blog post, about Topic X. The VERY NEXT DAY, lo and behold, I get an email from someone asking me, "I want to learn about Topic X, what can you tell me?"

And sometimes, it's not even sent to my About.com email address, but my private one or my MySpace. Apparently they could navigate the site well enough to find out how to contact me, but didn't read the blog post that was RIGHT THERE on the landing page.

:::headdesk:::

And then of course, I send back a polite little response, saying, "You can find more information about this here, at yesterday's blog post, "Learning about Topic X".

Status
Not open for further replies.