About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeidiW

Registered
Reaction score
I think this is what happens :) And welcome! Good luck on your application, follow the tips on here, and hope you get in!

I need to crash. I havent slept in a long time...well, since I started Prep :) But I had the fun of working a full time job at the same time...

Cheers!

nessa
Thanks for the quick response and the welcome!

I haven't slept either. It's almost 3 am here, which is normally fine since I typically go to bed around 4 (any other extreme night people here?), but I had to be somewhere at 8:30 this morning way across town, and tomorrow I only get to sleep in until 9:45 or so. Not good since I'm already zonked!

So I have not even filled out my profile yet. I'll do that tomorrow...

Heidi

Cyfarwydd

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Heidi, and welcome! I'm a relatively new member, too. My Prep is for immigration issues. I'm SO looking forward to it! :)

HeidiW

Registered
Reaction score
My Prep is for immigration issues. I'm SO looking forward to it! :)
Congrats! I remember you mentioning it being on the list of available topics.

A very timely topic, it's bound to have high traffic. We just had two rallies this morning here in Tucson, one against illegal immigration and one for better treatment of illegal immigrants (among other issues).

heidi

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
Yikes...I just applied for the House Plants spot on About.com. I have been thinking about it for days and I figured if I waited any longer, it would probably disappear and I'd have to kick myself for procrastinating.

So, I am coming up with ways to stop checking my email to see if I have a shot at prep.

kburke247

Registered
Reaction score
I just published my first blog piece for my prep. It's all going relatively smooth so far. I'm getting the impression that they kind of frown on longer articles and seem to want short, easy to read, lists and bulleted type stuff, not just for the blog but in general. That's going to make it difficult to get more complicated info across. Then again I think if I mix it up a bit, some longer articles will be okay. Man, I'd love to get this gig more everyday.

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
kburke,

If you haven't read any info on writing for the Web, perhaps it would be good to stop and Google that topic. There are several good articles out there that can give you hints, as well as reasons why Web writing is different.

Having said that, I can tell you that some of my pieces are 800+ words long and others are more like 250; it just depends on the topic.

Also, if they gave you a model site (another About.com site to look at) in your Prep notes, look at it carefully; examples can be very helpful.

And...if you've read through this whole discussion, you'll know what I am about to say, because I say it often. Save time before each review to recheck your work. When you're tired it is very easy to overlook typos and broken links. Just as you'd proof and re-proof a piece you were sending to a national magazine, so, too, you should double-check your Prep work.

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Yikes...I just applied for the House Plants spot on About.com. I have been thinking about it for days and I figured if I waited any longer, it would probably disappear and I'd have to kick myself for procrastinating.

So, I am coming up with ways to stop checking my email to see if I have a shot at prep.

Good luck! Glad you did decide to apply. I watched Organic Gardening and Herbs go away before I got myself to apply for Trees and Shrubs. I don't think you can avoid constant checking...I was in Mexico the week I found out I got into Prep, so I was at least relaxing then...but subsequently...ay yi, lol. I can check my email on my cell so I was doing that every 15 min + at work. I am at it again as I wait to hear I've gone live. I hope it happens today so I can work on the new site over the weekend.

I think Houseplants and Lawn Care are the only two garden ones left...I see container gardening must be going live...so fun.

Nessa
About.com Guide to Trees and Shrubs (bring me a shrubbery!)

princessvessna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Thanks for the quick response and the welcome!

I haven't slept either. It's almost 3 am here, which is normally fine since I typically go to bed around 4 (any other extreme night people here?)

Heidi

I sure am a night owl...I usually go to bed at least 1-2. Lately it's been 3-4-5 or so. And Im supposed to be to work by 8....yikes.

That's why I want to just do freelancing full time someday, so I can have my own schedule.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
Good luck! Glad you did decide to apply. I watched Organic Gardening and Herbs go away before I got myself to apply for Trees and Shrubs. I don't think you can avoid constant checking...I was in Mexico the week I found out I got into Prep, so I was at least relaxing then...but subsequently...ay yi, lol. I can check my email on my cell so I was doing that every 15 min + at work. I am at it again as I wait to hear I've gone live. I hope it happens today so I can work on the new site over the weekend.

I think Houseplants and Lawn Care are the only two garden ones left...I see container gardening must be going live...so fun.

Nessa
About.com Guide to Trees and Shrubs (bring me a shrubbery!)

You are awesome! I thank you for you thoughts and answers to my questions, Nessa.

I'm with you, I would have loved organic gardening. Sheesh, the things that get us gardeners in an uproar.:hooray:

Well, I am happy I went for it, we'll see. I am hoping the sample of my writing I sent was okay. I tend to add a little personality I guess because that's usually how I write. Also, in a true article, I would have been more detailed to my information.

*tap*tap*tap* Okay, now I am second-guessing the sample.

princessvessna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Well, I am happy I went for it, we'll see. I am hoping the sample of my writing I sent was okay. I tend to add a little personality I guess because that's usually how I write. Also, in a true article, I would have been more detailed to my information.

*tap*tap*tap* Okay, now I am second-guessing the sample.

You're welcome! Hmm...perhaps you could write a more technical version and reapply if you really think you should...I dont know, it was a fun piece. We will see?

YAY! I am live now. I get to have the fun of working this weekend to get more of my own content up. :)

Last edited:

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
You're welcome! Hmm...perhaps you could write a more technical version and reapply if you really think you should...I dont know, it was a fun piece. We will see?

YAY! I am live now. I get to have the fun of working this weekend to get more of my own content up. :)

I thought about that, but then it said not to reapply or that could slow the process down...hmmm.

I honestly wasn't sure if they wanted a technical piece or just a sample of your writing (that is what it said anyway).

I'm fine. really. I'm not panicked...very cool over here. (really.) *gulp*

Congrats on going live!! I'm gonna go LOOK!!

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
I just published my first blog piece for my prep. It's all going relatively smooth so far. I'm getting the impression that they kind of frown on longer articles and seem to want short, easy to read, lists and bulleted type stuff, not just for the blog but in general. That's going to make it difficult to get more complicated info across. Then again I think if I mix it up a bit, some longer articles will be okay. Man, I'd love to get this gig more everyday.

It makes sense to tightly focus your articles, because that tends to work better for SEO and for the attention span of most readers. But there are a few different ways that you can link a bunch of tightly-focused articles together to cover a broad amount of information.

I'm saying tightly-focused and not short, because you can be long and still be covering one very specific topic.

If you do use longer articles, make sure to break them up with subheadlines and bulleted lists to make them easier to scan. I second the advice of looking up some writing on the web articles, even if just as a refresher.

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
Your site is fun...I am an avid sweeper (I didn't know about your page...I visit one of the "other" ones all the time). Great job! I even signed up with your ecourse (to see how they work, and to learn a bit) I will have to visit more often!

Thanks so much! I'm glad you like it, and it's great to have another sweeper on board! :)

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
I'm new to the web writing thing, so this might be a dumb question - buckle in.

About.com is a "share revenue" site, right? I am curious, it seems very well recieved and then I read on some other threads at AW to avoid this type of writing work.

Is it About's guaranteed base pay that makes people okay with it? Or the sheer high number of hits it generates?

Or does About remain in the same "steer clear" catagory for the people who don't like these types of jobs at all?

I'm just curious because this is very new to me and I'm trying to see every angle.

Thanks,

ameliawrites

Keep on keepin' on
Registered
Reaction score
Website
herbgardens.about.com
Let's try this again

Speaking for myself only, About was a coveted job for me. I lived and breathed getting in for 9 years at least. For me, it was the security of the business ( no here today-gone tomorrow ), being able to focus on a topic I really love and frankly, everyone knows About.com. If they were to flake, it wouldn't be a secret for long! It just feels like I don't have to frantically have to search for work now. Of course, I am only three weeks into my time with them.

I would in no way equate About.com with a site that says share revenue. You are going to be paid and paid well if you do the work.

Amy

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
Speaking for myself only, About was a coveted job for me. I lived and breathed getting in for 9 years at least. For me, it was the security of the business ( no here today-gone tomorrow ), being able to focus on a topic I really love and frankly, everyone knows About.com. If they were to flake, it wouldn't be a secret for long! It just feels like I don't have to frantically have to search for work now. Of course, I am only three weeks into my time with them.

I would in no way equate About.com with a site that says share revenue. You are going to be paid and paid well if you do the work.

Amy

That was the answer I was hoping to hear, actually. I just applied for a spot there. I have been in contact with a couple of people who are so excited about writing for About! And now I have caught the fever.

You hear/read so much about publishing, both good and bad, it's hard to know the right direction you need to take. At this beginning point, anything is probably the right direction, LOL!

Anyway, thanks, because my fingers have been crossed I get into prep.

Which topic do you guide for?

Last edited:

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I'll echo what Amy said. I'd been an About.com reader for about three years, and was thrilled when my topic came available for Prep. The compensation is well worth the amount of work I put into it, and honestly, I'd say those "share the revenue" places aren't even in the same ballpark. About is owned by the New York Times, and is a pretty big hitter.

Let's put it this way -- my income from About.com each month is enough that I can do it part time, and do a few other free lance jobs each week, and I don't have to go out and get a 9-to-5 job in an office somewhere.

ameliawrites

Keep on keepin' on
Registered
Reaction score
Website
herbgardens.about.com
Patti-
I just noticed that you have over 3 thousand posts??? Yowza! I need to speak up more and not just read. I feel so inadequate..

:p

Amy

princessvessna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
I've been a guide a whole 2 days now :) For me, it's great that I finally have a way to use my degree year-round...I live in winter snow country now, so much harder to find a full time garden job that pays decently. I'm hoping to just stay home and write/do other freelance things someday. The base pay scale is fantastic...can't wait to see how well I can do beyond that.

I've been to About a lot over the years...it always seems to come up pretty early in the search engines. I never imagined I'd work there someday! :) But I am so thrilled I do.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
Thank you guys for all the input and the clarification on the differences between the sites.

And Nessa - I am thrilled for you and want to follow in your footsteps someday soon!

BusyMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.busymommy.us
I'm being brave and jumping in again. My absolute dream topic just became available. I've been through prep before for the Cooking for Kids topic and unfortunately didn't get it. I was 37 weeks pregnant at the time though, so I think all things considered, I really did do the best that I could at the time.

How long is it taking these days for About.com to respond to applications?

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
It varies a bit, depending on how many qualified people apply. My first time around, I heard back in a couple of weeks; the second time, the response was much shorter.

kburke247

Registered
Reaction score
I made it through my first review and my brain hurts. I'm trying to come up with solid, focused content. I have a couple of questions though. Is it okay to base a blog post on one already posted in another topic? It wouldn't be identical but the link would. I'm trying to find a map that I can use. It seems a little different than getting permission for a photo. Any thoughts?

Probably a stupid question, but I suppose there is no way to make an educated guess about how many qualified people you're up against?

I think they prep 5 people at a time and get over 200 apps per topic. Even if I don't get the gig, that's pretty good company.

I'm not really a writer, I'm more of an expert in my topic with some decent writing skills. Writing about it is definitely a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.