About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieL

Registered
Reaction score
Guide

Hello,

I've been lurking for a while and thought this was a good point to jump in since I am an About.com guide. I've been a guide for several years and really enjoy work. They give you a lot of freedom to write about your topic, the other guides are friendly and helpful, and they pay well.

It can be difficult to get started. They have prospective guides go through a prep program where you compete with other potential guides for the same subject. You need to create content and write articles. It works out well if you get the job. But, it can be a bummer if you end up doing all that work without getting paid! So, if you get accepted to the prep program, I'd suggest you spend a lot of time getting the site together upfront.

If you haven't already read this page, it's a good source of info: http://beaguide.about.com/index.htm

Good luck!

cool_st_elizabeth

Last person who isn't on Facebook
Registered
Reaction score
Competing with others for same job

JamieL said:
They have prospective guides go through a prep program where you compete with other potential guides for the same subject.

Thanx JamieL. I applied only three days ago, and the email I got from them said it might take up to eight weeks to get accepted into the prep program, and not to inquire because that would delay the process further!

I knew I wouldn't get paid for the prep program, if I get in. But I didn't realize other ppl would be prepping for the same subject category at the same time ... the topic I applied for has to do with medicine. I can make a credible website & I know I can write well on my chosen topic, but I may lose out in the end because I'm not a physician. I'm planning to go for it anyway though!

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
JamieL said:
Hello,

I've been lurking for a while and thought this was a good point to jump in since I am an About.com guide. I've been a guide for several years and really enjoy work. They give you a lot of freedom to write about your topic, the other guides are friendly and helpful, and they pay well.

It can be difficult to get started. They have prospective guides go through a prep program where you compete with other potential guides for the same subject. You need to create content and write articles. It works out well if you get the job. But, it can be a bummer if you end up doing all that work without getting paid! So, if you get accepted to the prep program, I'd suggest you spend a lot of time getting the site together upfront.

If you haven't already read this page, it's a good source of info: http://beaguide.about.com/index.htm

Good luck!

Thanks for posting JamieL, welcome to the Cooler! :D That's a lot of real good info, thank you. :D

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that they've significantly reduced payments to guides. Is that true? Do they retain the rights to your work?

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
Sassenach said:
I've heard that they've significantly reduced payments to guides. Is that true? Do they retain the rights to your work?
Deb Ng was recently hired on as an About.com guide, and has indicated in this thread that the pay has actually increased from the minimum of $500 per month, though I'm not sure by how much. I do know someone else who is currently working for them and mentioned that the pay has, indeed, increased.

JamieL

Registered
Reaction score
Guides are paid based on page views, but also have a base pay. New guides are guaranteed to make at least the base pay for the first two years. The base pay went up quite a bit this year too. :)

cool_st_elizabeth: They have really been pushing to make the medical sites stellar. It's a good sign that you were accepted into prep. It is true that it can take forever to hear back from them! I waited weeks!

Marilyn Braun: I don't think there's a way to apply for a guide position that isn't listed on the available topics page.

cool_st_elizabeth

Last person who isn't on Facebook
Registered
Reaction score
JamieL said:
cool_st_elizabeth: They have really been pushing to make the medical sites stellar. It's a good sign that you were accepted into prep. It is true that it can take forever to hear back from them! I waited weeks!

LOL ... nope, I'm not accepted into prep, not yet anyway ... I got an autoresponse type of email thanking me for my application & saying I might not hear anything else for up to eight weeks!

JamieL

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I must have read through your response too fast.

cattywampus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pygmypress.com
I tried to get into this a year or so ago. I was approved with no problem, and fairly quickly. But at that time, you had to set up your own site using HTML, inserting code into their code. I couldn't get it to work, although I followed their instructions. I spent a couple of weeks with this, then I guess they got tired of all my questions and more or less barred me. They seem extremely picky, but some of their sites must really be making money.

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
cattywampus said:
I tried to get into this a year or so ago. I was approved with no problem, and fairly quickly. But at that time, you had to set up your own site using HTML, inserting code into their code. I couldn't get it to work, although I followed their instructions. I spent a couple of weeks with this, then I guess they got tired of all my questions and more or less barred me. They seem extremely picky, but some of their sites must really be making money.
Actually, that was Allinfoabout.com, Catty. I remember when that was happening. About.com is different.

Hope that helps! :)

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know about who writes the daily or weekly email lessons for the AboutU part of About.com? There's a few subjects I'd love to pitch if they're still taking new ideas.

Thanks!

Michelle

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
JamieL said:
Marilyn Braun: I don't think there's a way to apply for a guide position that isn't listed on the available topics page.

I actually looked up my subject and it's a sub-category of the main topic. There are openings for a topic expert, so I applied in that way.

Fingers crossed!!

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
After reading this thread and following the links, I decided to apply for a topic, too. I used the same style and perspective that I use when counseling women. (I applied for the contraceptive piece).

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
I decided to go for it, too! I applied today. It looks like fun! :)

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
I just applied too! I sort of had my hours drastically cut at my day job, so I guess this is as good a time as any to get serious about my freelancing.

Aesposito

Registered
Reaction score
I applied too this weekend, just for some extra cash....chose Heart Attacks, since I teach cardiac stuff at local hospital... fingers crossed!

Audrey

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even notice. God bless Firefox.

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
I just applied as well... I've been waiting for a particular topic to open up and it looks like it finally did. I applied for inline skating a while ago, but didn't get accepted. I was kind of expecting that though, it was a stretch. This one I think I stand a better chance hopefully...

I'm also a guide on suite101.com for pretty much the same topic so maybe that will help me out as well. Now just the wait.

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
I'm the new Guide to Weblogs, the site should be up shortly. I found prep simple and didn't have to email my mentor once with a technical question. I heard all of these horror stories about how prep takes up all of your time and there are all of these tools and templates to learn, but I found it to be a breeze. I was able to handle About and my other work and only had to spend a few extra hours at my computer.

Incidentally, I was accepted into prep only two days after I applied. The thing that scared me was how I would be competing with others for the site. I'm technically challenged and felt this would be a detriment. I'm happy to report the tools are easy for beginners. Even if I didn't make prep, it was an incredible learning experience. I could have taken everything I wrote for prep and turned it into an informative site or blog.

Eeman

Registered
Reaction score
I heard all of these horror stories about how prep takes up all of your time and there are all of these tools and templates to learn, but I found it to be a breeze.

I was accepted to host a site back in 1997, but I could not make it through orientation because of technical difficulties. At that time, they required you to download a series of templates, fill them out off-line and upload them via FTP software. I did not even know what FTP was, but I found help and learned. However, I could never get my files into the right folders and generally made a mess of the whole thing. I now regularly use FTP software for another job, but the software of today is so much more user-friendly than it was ten years ago. I imagine that About.com no longer uses this system as it would be quite cumbersome for a computer novice to learn and navigate. I do not consider myself technically challenged either, so it was a real disappointment when I could not solve the problems I was having. Maybe the horror stories come from people who had a similar experience to mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.