Winter scene with evergreen trees and UFOs

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: [Publisher] Loose Id

<link snipped>

BTW, there's a sticky at the top of this forum with an index to publishers. Often you can find something there easier than through the forum search engine.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 01-30-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: threads merged, link moot

Purveyor of sacrilege davidhburton's Avatar
    Thanks kindly!!
    David H. Burton - http://davidhburton.com

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Emily Veinglory

So many ideas, never enough time. michael_b's Avatar
    Of all my publishers, current and past, Loose-id is my favorite. They are the most professional, pay like clockwork--by comparison to my other pubs who can be weeks or months late--and I get reasonably fast replies to emails. Days instead of weeks. My sales with them are far better than at most of my other publishers. They were very resposive to changing a cover I didn't like. This is my experience, I'm sure the experiences of other people vary, but I can't say I've heard the same horror stories about Loose-id that I've heard--or experienced--first hand with other publishers.

I would continue to recommend them highly.
    Emily Veinglory

practical experience, FTW JulesJones's Avatar
    I too would continue to recommend them. Small press, but professionally run, with reasonable sales numbers by small press standards. My sales numbers vary, but I'd be pretty disappointed now if something novella or novel length didn't sell 500 copies in the first year, and my best result to date has been 1700 copies in the first 18 months or so. At 35% of cover, that's money worth having.

As ever, I would recommend that if you can sell your book to one of the big mainstream print publishers, you do so -- but there are niche markets where there isn't a big enough market to be worth New York's while, but the market's big enough to support a good small press.
    http://www.julesjones.com

Sex and love, lies and truth, shades in between. Happy endings and might-have-beens. Nine tales of these things between men. Stormy Nights - released by NineStar Press on 24 July 2017.

Paranormal Princess ChrryBlssmGrrl's Avatar
    I had some dealings with Loose Id recently and they were the coolest!

It took them 9 days from e-query to response which is much faster than the 6-8 weeks they warn you it usually takes. As they request I had sent them a partial of the first few chapters and a detailed synopsis.

Althought ultimately I got a thumbs down it was a very encouraging one - "It is clear that you have put a lot of thought into your plot and the background information that makes up the mythology within your manuscript. The different settings and the love triangle make for a vibrant and interesting story."

It also contained genuine, personalised feedback on my MS, suggesting revisions I could make, particularly to the ending and some passages of exposition that they felt were a bit lengthy. Although the obviously didn't go so far as to say 'if you make these changes we'll def publish your novel' they did say that these were changes 'we would like you to make' and that 'we hope you will alter the ending' in accordance with their suggestions, saying 'Just because we arenít interested in acquiring your manuscript right now doesnít mean we never will be, or that your work lacks merit'.

I'm seriously considering making some of these changes and doing some rewriting and then re-submitting. What are your thoughts? Has anyone sold anything to Loose ID recently? Or has anyone else made changes to a rejected MS and then successfully placed it with Loose ID? Just curious!!

Current Status: Had a baby in August and trying to finish a PhD. Not getting too much writing done at the minute...but I'm trying

practical experience, FTW jsouders's Avatar
    Have to agree with Cherry. My dealings with this press has been just AWESOME. They sent me a two page letter that was very encouraging although it was ultimately a rejection, but it was personalized, also with revision suggestions and an invitation to submit other things that might be better suited to them. Hopefully, I can resubmit once I do the revisions. I'll have to ask.

Dancing on the edge Brindle Chase's Avatar
    I just wanted to pipe in my 2 cents. I just signed my very first book contract with Loose Id. They have been absolutely wonderful so far. They've been quite patient with my 'newbie' questions and were open to negotiating/discussing/clarifying terms of the contract for me. They are very professional and also friendly, which makes a great mixture. I dont get that cold, form letter feel from any of their communications, yet nothing comes across as juvenile or amatuerish either. They are sussinct, quick and friendly!!

I also concur about their quick responses. Almost all of their replies have been same day. Turn time on submission to acceptance was a total of just under 3 weeks I think. It took less than 48 hours to reply that the submission had been received. Five more days, then I received a request for the full manuscript, then 12 days later I received the acceptance letter. So... 19 days from submission to acceptance. I think that's lightning quick!

practical experience, FTW JulesJones's Avatar
    My year end summary of the pattern of my sales is up at EREC. This is just my personal experience, but might be of interest as all my in-print titles are with Loose Id. One further point not in the EREC post -- I've essentially had 18 months off from writing owing to interference by Real Life, and thus have had no releases in 2009 to help boost the interest in the backlist.
    Last edited by JulesJones; 01-23-2010 at 02:59 PM.
    http://www.julesjones.com

Sex and love, lies and truth, shades in between. Happy endings and might-have-beens. Nine tales of these things between men. Stormy Nights - released by NineStar Press on 24 July 2017.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin honoluluwriter's Avatar

loose id - revise and resubmit

does anyone who received a nice letter from them giving suggestion on changes have any new experience to share on whether they resubmitted and whether they were then accepted?

Quote Originally Posted by honoluluwriter View Post
    does anyone who received a nice letter from them giving suggestion on changes have any new experience to share on whether they resubmitted and whether they were then accepted?
    I've collected five (yes, five) R&Rs from them. With the exception of one time, I'd always sold the book to someone else and never bothered to make any changes. The one book I didn't sell elsewhere had been written specifically for Loose Id (more on my blog) and never sent anywhere else. I did the revisions they asked for (four months later--eep!) and received an acceptance a few weeks ago.

Long story short...do the revisions.

Yup. Edited, resubmitted, and got an acceptance a couple of weeks ago (still so psyched!). Took me six months to get around to it, and they were still lovely about it.

It was a specific rewrite request (i.e. we'll almost certainly take this if you do the following...), not just general suggestions, though. Don't know if that makes a difference. One of the comments in the acceptance was that they were pleased I was willing to make changes, so they do appreciate the effort in an author.

Hungry? Check out my other half's blog Colonel Mustard in the Kitchen.

Glad for all of the information about this publisher! I know a couple authors that write for them and have backed up all the positive experiences listed here. Sent out a M/M/F sub to them on Sunday and received a prompt reply that it went to the editor I requested. Etc etc. Crossing my fingers and toes.

Yes and yes, for my first book with them (first of 12, and counting).
    Emily Veinglory

So many ideas, never enough time. michael_b's Avatar
    I've been with Loose Id since 2008, and not once have I gotten a late statement or payment. Considering the number of authors they have this is a very impressive accomplishment and--other than my own house--they are the ONLY publisher I've been with that's been consistently on time.
    Michael Barnette
    Fiction with an Erotic Edge
    LiveJournal Twitter Facebook
    I do NaNoWriMo
    Worth More than Words available now from Dreamspinner Press
    In the Heart of Love-Coming Soon
    SOLD: Nikki's Dragon-short story anthology to Fireborn Publishing

New kid, be gentle! Stephanie Mojica's Avatar
    I've worked with Loose ID on several editing/writing/reviewing projects since 2008 and always find them top-notch to deal with. I would recommend them without reservation.

Good luck!

Peace, love, and happiness,
    Stephanie
    Blog: http://hotfreelancewritingsecretsblog.com

Discover How One Small Change in My Mindset
    Made a BIG Change In My Writing Income (up 700%)...Read My Short Story for Free Here ==> http://www.howtomakemoneywritingnow.com

Banned
    I received a R&R from them this summer and followed all but one of their suggestions. Actually it was more like an R&R, then another R&R on the same book with "You're nearly there and we really want to publish it but it needs some tweaking..." then an acceptance.

By the Book is out in January...and I've already spent the advance.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann_Mayburn View Post
    Glad for all of the information about this publisher! I know a couple authors that write for them and have backed up all the positive experiences listed here. Sent out a M/M/F sub to them on Sunday and received a prompt reply that it went to the editor I requested. Etc etc. Crossing my fingers and toes.
    Who did it go to?

Just saw your question Lori, sorry about the delay! It went to Jana J. Hanson. I've heard nothing but great things about her from a few of her authors. I sent out the partial on the 5th, and received a request for the full from Ms. Hanson on the 14th.

--hope I just didn't bury her under submissions!--

If I knew then, what I know now... Do the revisions. Anytime an editor takes time out of their day to give you feedback on what they want changed, it means they want the story if you are willing to do these changes. Plus it also shows you are willing to work with your editor and trust them to help you mold your story.

I too received a list of things to change from LI on my first story. I thanked the editor and moved on and published elsewhere. I always kept her in mind and when it came to my next novella, she was my first pick. And lo and behold, she picked it up and came back with a R/R. This time I resubmitted it back to her with the changes and now it's coming out in 2011.

Mine was an acceptance, but with my agreement to deliver specific (and significant) revisions that I'd already discussed with my editor. I don't have the contract in front of me, but they also gave me loads of time. I knew I could do the work a lot faster, though, so I did.

Anyhoo, the editing is top-notch, the covers are stellar. My LI title won't release until later this month so I can't speak for promptness of payment & record-keeping yet.

If they ask for revisions, though, by all means, do the revisions. LI is 100% full of win. ;-)

Oh awesome just curious.

I sold my novella to Loose Id!
    Ms. Hanson, my editor-happy dance-, has been fantastic with my newbie questions and very open to communication. Their new author packet is fantastic and I can really tell that they are an established e-pub by the quality and detail of their acceptance letter. It went into things they would like to polish in the story before I signed, giving me the oppertunity to know what would be worked on etc.

loves them

Awesome news, Ann. They put out a quality product and the authors I know who are with them all rave about their editors.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast