The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Monkfish Book Publishing Co.

Historicals and Horror rule donroc's Avatar

Monkfish Book Publishing Co.

Has anyone here had experience with MONKFISH PUBLISHING?
    Has anyone heard anything good or bad about MONKFISH?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    These guys?

http://www.monkfishpublishing.com/DEFAULT.HTM

Have you ever read anything that they published?

I saw their website for the first time today. No, I have not read any of their published books. I wanted to know their reputation.

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    The obvious test is to go to your local bookstore and see if you can find any of the books on the shelves. The link to their POD operation sets off warning bells (I note that they have a trade publishing arm as well but it seems a bit on the small side and there's no guarantee of getting your book in actual shops if it's subject to individual negotiation).

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    If you want to know what kind of publisher they are, look at the books in their catalogue, and then see whether they get any shelf space at your local bookstore.

I don't mean to sound testy, but research is one of a writer's basic skills.

I'll give you a freebie: Monkfish picks up where Llewellyn leaves off. They're publishing real books, though many of them look like old out-of-print titles from other publishers. I don't know what kind of distribution deal they have, and I don't know how long they've been in business.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Thank you all for your testy/non-testy suggestions. Reread my original message. I simply wanted to know if anyone here has had dealings with MONkFISH, not how to go to bookstores and look 'em up.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    The published a book by Gerard Jones [ http://www.everyonewhosanyone.com/ ]. Other than that I am not familar with them. But if they were terrible, I am assuming that of all the writers in the world, Gerard Jones would say something about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Jones
    A bunch of stuff worth reading and writing gets written but not read 'cause people only read what gets hyped and what gets hyped is nothing but sickeningly stupid, money-grubbing schlock, fatuous political folderol and celebrity twaddle. I'm perfectly happy with the design and production of the book Monkfish made out of Ginny Good. They did distribution and a little publicity, too, but the main thing I'm happy about is that it got published exactly the way I wanted it published. I thought it would sell more copies than it did, but I learned a lot by it not having sold many copies...things like, 'Lord, what fools these mortals be!
    Last edited by Insert Name; 01-18-2007 at 03:49 AM.

I've seen worse. SuperModerator ColoradoGuy's Avatar
    I read Gerard's book, Ginny Good, from Monkfish. I bought it in a bookstore. It was a standard-type, well presented trade paperback. The book was pretty good, too.
    "Think this through with me, let me know your mind.
    . . . what I want to know is, are you kind?"

My books, website, and blog

Thanks Insert Name and Colorado Guy. I also saw MONKFISH on Jones' site, went to theirs, and wrote here immediately after BEFORE going to any bookstore.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoGuy
    I read Gerard's book, Ginny Good, from Monkfish. I bought it in a bookstore. It was a standard-type, well presented trade paperback. The book was pretty good, too.
    Yup, ditto. Well-made, nice cover, thought Monkfish did a good job. And Ginny Good is an outstanding book.

Yes, I also first heard about them through Gerard Jones, bought his book in a bookstore. I too am thinking about them, since my agent is looking for ideas after not having success in placing my book (something of an offbeat memoir) with the bigger publishing houses. We've come close...but at this point it seems smaller independent houses and university presses are the way to go. I like the look of the site and the flavor of the books. Most seem to have more of a "spiritual transformation" element than Jones's book, which is kind of a picaresque SF sixties memoir. Some of the same "in-your-face" quality of his site, where he chronicles his uphill climb to publication. (I'm beginning to identify :-)

Susan

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Adding link to their publishing services division, Epigraph: http://www.epigraphps.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: