Writing Challenge: 50 Words -- With a Twist

• Thread starter That Sheldrake Woman
  • Start date

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
High in the tree, Bobby could understand why the squirrels came up here. Up here they were safe from crazy old Gary and his gun. But Gary sometimes shot them dead, anyway. It’d be better to be a sea gull, he decided, and fly far away out over the ocean.

restaurant batik philosophy

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Leaning back on the large batik pillows, Laura surveyed the decor of the retro restaurant they were dining in that evening. "So, this is the kind of place my mom and her hippie friends would hang out and talk their anti-establishment philosophy". "The place is so "wanna-be", but definately "isn't"".

chrome, crimson, cyclone

Last edited:

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
There wasn't a lot of chrome on the old Merc, but that was okay. It was one of the last muscle cars, a crimson 1970 Cyclone. Everything about it was stock, too, except that someone had re-upholstered the seats in black leather. Mary Alice smiled. George Riley, he was okay.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, I did, too. Many profuse apologies.

next prompt words:

surf plywood avocado

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They piled more furniture in front of the windows. "It's a tsunami!” Melanie said. “The surf's still rising!" Jim knew there was nothing they could do in this ramshackle plywood shack. On the table, the avocado plant they had been raising looked pathetic, doomed--just like the two of them.

:Wha:

stentorian caramel devaluate

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
ticket communication Peru
-------------------------

"Peru," he said, waving his ticket at the webcam. "Machu Picchu, Cuzco, Nazca."
"Like that?" she said as though she didn't really care.
"Like that," he replied gently, not fooled.
Stay, she would have said, but the words that came out were "Bon voyage."
"Thanks."
That was his last communication.

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
ticket communication Peru
-------------------------

"Peru," he said, waving his ticket at the webcam. "Cuzco, Nazca, Machu Picchu."
"Like that?" she said as though she didn't really care.
"Like that," he replied gently, not fooled.
Stay, she would have said, but the words that came out were "Bon voyage."
"Thanks."
That was his last communication.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Um, Keyan? The prompt words you used are old: they were on the bottom of page 1, and this is page 3. Care to try again? Also, you need to provide the next three prompts (as was so painfully pointed out to yours truly).

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It looks as if Keyan isn't going to respond, so maybe we can go back to my prompts and get this thread moving again.

OK?

:D

stentorian caramel devaluate

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
“Red hots!” The vendor's stentorian tones carried over the roar of the crowd. “Get ’em while they’re hot!”

“Two,” I called to him. “Got any caramel apples?”

“What, ya think this is a friggin’ carnival? Don’t devaluate my damn job, hey.” He tossed me two dogs. “That’s six bucks pal.”

------------
cobbler tanned lyrical

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ned didn't care if "cobbler" was an old-fashioned word. That's what he was, damn it, and he wasn't going to fancy it up. The tanned leather he used was the best, and despite the mass-produced crap that turned up at Wal-Mart, he felt lyrical about doing an honest day's work.

:Trophy:

ganglia roustabout plum

Last edited:

Paichka

The BIC-Believer
Registered
Reaction score
The ancient carnival roustabout’s wrinkled hands shook – not nerves, but shattered ganglia from a lifetime of drinking fermented Jamaica ginger. “My legs will go next, sonny,” he said. “Your legs went ages ago, Mr. Jackson,” the nurse murmured, and fed him another spoonful of plum pudding.

anvil gargantuan piecemeal

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Adrian regarded the old rusted anvil with dismay. No one had worked the ruined blacksmith shop in a long time. Some gargantuan thing had been here, and whatever it was, it had been thorough. It would be a piecemeal operation, but just maybe he could the forge working by tomorrow.

hectare sawyer anlace

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dr. Kraus sharpened the anlace he had removed from the museum. Some medieval sawyer might have used it on an enemy, and now he would use it on Reinhold, that fool who had prevented his promotion! Soon, on that swampy hectare near the university, someone would discover Reinhold's decapitated corpse!

:e2teeth:

respiratory hatchet misty

Last edited:

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
respiratory hatchet misty

Misty's career as a respiratory therapist ended when she received the hatchet from the hospital administrator. He accused her not giving proper treatment to Mrs. Carroll which caused her death. Misty enters his office to state her case, only to find an alive Mrs. Carroll and administrator in an embrace.

cannister, epoxy, dolent

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Would the epoxy hold? Father John wasn't sure, but in such times he relied on an old prayer: "O Lord, though I be dolent and afraid, hear me when I call to thee..." It was essential that the canister containing the knife remain sealed until Sister Margaret's body was discovered.

:Wha:

metamorphosis fluffy inspire

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
The metamorphosis of Lisa's fluffy butterfly into the man of her dreams was enough to inspire her best friend Gennifer to also try psylocybin mushrooms.

macaroon/leverage/downpour

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
With some leverage Amos was able to get the car off the bag of groceries. When the bag was free he sat happily in the downpour eating the package of macaroons.

palmtree - carnage - dumpling

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
The carnage left behind after the Attack of the Killer Dumplings was like nothing seen before. They even ate the palmtrees.

snowshoes/soap/curtain

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Debbie's feet were so swollen she had to soap them up to slip the snowshoes on. Once her feet were dressed, she hid behind the curtain waiting.

squirrel - grapefruit - trout

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
She watched the squirrel outside her window with a growing sense of dread. Would this be the day the trout came to get her grapefruit? No one had ever been able to control the trout. And now, she heard the ominous flapping of gills at her door.

cigarette/ravioli/roadster

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
She dabbed the cigarette out in her plate of ravioli. If she was lucky, tonight he would pull up in his roadster and take her to a Mexican restaurant.

hurricane - lips - tomatoe

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Um. Isn't this challenge to include the three prompt words in a passage that is 50 words long? Several of the previous entries were awfully short. ;)

Gloria entered the ball room, a whirlwind of taffeta and pearls, and like hurricane Katrina laid waste to New Orleans, within an hour, Gloria had broken the hearts of most of the men there. And not a few of the women. Mitch pursed his lips and whistled, “She’s some tomato!

hang root repercussion

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Um. Isn't this challenge to include the three prompt words in a passage that is 50 words long? Several of the previous entries were awfully short.

I will be sure to count every word in future. 49 okay? No? Okay. Care shall be exercised, no worries.