Writing Challenge: 50 Words -- With a Twist

• Thread starter That Sheldrake Woman
  • Start date

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
"Here's your ticket. Now off to Peru, and make sure you keep up communication with the office."
"Fine" I said and headed towards the door, wondering if my editor knows my ex-lover is waiting in the car.
"You ready?" Juan asks while holding the door open.
“As ever” I reply

orange, Christmas, weight

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
It was Christmas Eve. My five dollars looked sad. After an embarrassing purchase of gas for three dollars, I entered the store with the weight of a "mission impossible". Red and green blurred and all I could see was orange. Miraculously, the price tag of my last gift read, "$1.50".

next words: tinsel, letter, crackling

andrewhollinger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andrewhollinger.com
I remember stars. I spent much of that evening on my back just staring up. Strange thing is they reminded me of tinsel, like on a Christmas tree--a happy time. So different from that night. Just me and her letter, crackling in the embers. I was alone.

pummeled, kosher, rights (have fun ;) )

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
After being pummeled with rocks, I limped home to care for my wounds. In this country, a Kosher boy has rights! I vowed that night to set my sights on a law degree, whatever the cost.

next: ticket, obtruse, pomgranite

Tony_LaRocca

Registered
Reaction score
Website
egotisticalproductions.blogspot.com
Bob, riding in his shiny, obtuse car carved from a ten-foot wide pomegranate, got a ticket for driving produce without a license. He won the case by bribing the judge with an extra large fruit basket. Sadly, the fruit was huge because they were radioactive, and everyone died of cancer.

next: pompous, obese, cactus

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
William began to gather his belonging on his desk, even the cactus. God he hated that plant. For a moment, he thought of putting it on Jack’s chair, but figured his pompous ex-boss wouldn't feel a thing. The only thing bigger than Jack’s obese body was his head. Fat idiot!

withdraw, romance, grapefruit

Last edited:

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
A plant sat on a windowsill, watching romance bloom, a family expand, a middle-aged wife eat grapefruit to try and keep her girlish figure. It watched children grow up and withdraw from the bosom of their family. After years of watching, it got up and killed everybody.

The End

after, Madagascar, conglomerate

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
After eighteen years employment for a heartless development conglomerate, Jake was ready for a new life. As he watched the approaching coastline, he asked himself whether Madagascar would provide the adventure he craved or whether he had burned all his boats to no avail.

clouds, respect, delinquent

rosebud1981

росебуд1
Registered
Reaction score
clouds, respect, delinquent

Darkness spilled over the land as the clouds folded upon themselves. Without a hint of respect for the dying sheaths of light that poured through the cracks they brought the onset of night. Delinquent drops of rain trickled over the dry rock and vanished into the black depths.

Spooky, heartfelt, clambering

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
Spooky made an extremely heartfelt flounce a couple of weeks ago, but he soon missed all his friends, so he came clambering back into the forums, biting wit intact.

diamond, woodpecker, nonpareil

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Taking the engagement ring - a nonpareil diamond of untold carats - in her trembling fingers, Samantha was at a loss for words. Suddenly, a woodpecker swooped down from an overhanging branch, snatched the ring up in its beak and flew off. "Blimey!" she cried.

diffident, embezzle, sunset

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Targill had gotten past that diffident local accountant, and he’d get past the corporate accountants too. “Embezzle” was just a word. With $30,000 in his briefcase he walked out the door of Gransco Corp. into a golden sunset and a rosy future.

"Stop,” said the guard. “I’ll take that briefcase.”

:cool:

seethe, margarine, decrepit

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it made Marjorie just seethe to see all those lard-asses slathering margarine over their biscuits. Here she was a decrepit old woman, yet the more expensive butter she insisted on using had never gathered like a lump on her waist.

list, book, spontaneity

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
“It’s in the book!” How often had Natalie heard that? “Look it up!” “Make a list!” How she hated her mother’s nagging! She stepped on the gas. Soon she would be out of town, in two hours out of the state. From this moment on, life would be all spontaneity.

:rolleyes:

muddle, originate, affluent

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Henry managed to muddle his way through the essay. Barely.

“On how theories originate.”

Bah! They’re just made up, aren’t they? Like Einstein's or Darwin's. Or that school board's in where? Pennsylvania? Or was it Ohio? Didn’t matter. He only wanted to become affluent. And that’s what school’s for. Right?

trounce, truant, trust

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bernie only wanted to trounce Richie. And he did, left him bleeding. That’s why he skipped school Friday, and now they called him a truant. It wasn’t fair! Life wasn’t fair! All he was asking for was a little trust. He couldn’t wait till he got out of fourth grade.

:box:

Sentimental outrage craft

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Fred wasn't sentimental. Irene, his girlfriend, was. It was an outrage, she said, to even suggest not repairing a broken bit of her great aunt Wilma's china. The old woman had brought it all the way from the old country. Fred became a master at the craft of pottery repair.

hovel valise goulash

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
After hours trudging through the forest, Hermione spotted a tumbledown shack with smoke arising from the chimney. No one answered her knock, so she pushed the door open. Staggering into the hovel, she put down her valise in a corner and looked around. God! That goulash smelled good!

bone, erudition, grandiose

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let those fools accuse him of having grandiose ideas. Carstairs knew his discovery would bring him recognition at last, maybe even the Nobel Prize! This was a toe bone of an ichthyopterosaurus, despite what those asses in the Paleontology Department said. When it came to erudition, he had no peers.

:Lecture:

casserole cerise climb

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Dan's eyes burned with the after-image of Evelyn’s cerise sweater long after she had stalked out of the apartment, slamming the door behind her. The casserole in his hands was cold, its contents inedible, but he wished he could take back his words and climb into the hardening glop inside.

quality benefit sorrowfully

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Your children need quality time, Ms. Spears," said the judge. "Having considered all aspects of your case, I don't believe they will benefit by continuing in your custody. I am awarding them to Mr. Federline." Sorrowfully, the diva left the courtroom, careful to turn her best side to the cameras.

:(

bolt miniature disgorge

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Jackson racked back the bolt of the Winchester, inserted a cartridge and aimed at the base of a bush above the canopy of the miniature jump jet hidden in the bushes. He would wait another ten minutes, fire a warning shot. If that didn’t cause the jet to disgorge Melrose . . .

bucket education wilted

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jason sighed. Solving a quadratic equation was a hell of a lot harder than shooting a bucket. But if he couldn't learn algebra, how was he ever going to get a decent education? He felt stymied, finished, like those stupid flowers on Mrs. Gilhooley's desk. Look--they had already wilted!

:e2cry:

traipse aphrodisiac canoe

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Traipsing reluctantly after Wilfrid towards the canoe waiting for them on the river, Maud wondered if the aphrodisiac hidden in her bag would work on her as well.

doggerel, ham-fisted, weasel

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
Embarrassment still burned on her cheeks, she couldn't look at him after that doggerel and ham-fisted display. Having him impress her parents had seemed such a good idea.

He squeezed her hand. 'I love you. Sorry I'm such a clumsy weasel.'

'Love, baked Alaska is supposed to be on fire.'

(50 exactly! Hope it's ok).

Next words: tree, gun, ocean