I need somebody who's very fluent in Spanish

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I can speak Spanish but am no longer fluent. It's been yeeeaaaarrrsss since I've had to really speak/read/write it on a regular basis.

I've forgotten a lot of my verb conjugations and tense structures and my vocabulary sucks now.

So, I have a few job-related things which I may need help translating from English to Spanish. If anyone has the time to help me (I don't know if I'll need it yet or how much help I'll need) if I need it, please PM me.

If I get stumped, you'll be my helper.

Thanks.

:)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Dama is the girl for you, yeah.

I could probably help, some, but I'm epically bad with sentence structure.

Clean Slate

Registered
Reaction score
While my spanish is very conversational and full of guatemalan colloquialism, I'd still be happy to help. I lived in Centroamerica for a good bit of time and still have most of my spanish language brain intact.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Do Guatemalans speak "traditional" Spanish (like Spain and Puerto Rico) or "Mexicano" Spanish (which, even still, has several regional variations due to the influences of Mayan and Aztec languages)?

The Spanish-speakers I'm writing these instructions for are from Mexico, and many Mexican words and colloquialisms mean totally different things in "traditional" Spanish.

Examples:

"Ahorita" (I've also heard ahorito) means "right now" in traditional Spanish, but I've met some people from certain parts of Latin America who use it to mean "later." That can cause a lot of problems.

Order a piece of "bizcocho" in Spain or Puerto Rico, and you'll likely get a piece of cake.

Order a piece of "bizcocho" in certain parts of Mexico, and you'll likely get a hooker or a really easy girl. ;)

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
*Sticks out tongue*

You're right, though. But, I stressed "very fluent" because some people "think" they're fluent because they can "sort of" speak a language.

Just because a person can order at a restaurant and find a bathroom if they're in Spain, doesn't mean they're fluent.

:)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, while you Spanish speakers are here, I need confirmation of a two-word phrase. How would I say "sweet dreams" in Spanish? (Babelfish gave me Sueno Fabulosa.) I just need it to name a high-end bed store in Tucson, so Mexicano Spanish is what I'd need.

Maryn, thread hijacker who will give it back now

Clean Slate

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn said:
Hey, while you Spanish speakers are here, I need confirmation of a two-word phrase. How would I say "sweet dreams" in Spanish? (Babelfish gave me Sueno Fabulosa.)

Buenos Sueños. Where I've lived, people don't ever say this, though. They'd say "Que tiene Buon Sueño," or "That you have good dream."

Clean Slate

Registered
Reaction score
DrSpork said:
Do Guatemalans speak "traditional" Spanish (like Spain and Puerto Rico) or "Mexicano" Spanish (which, even still, has several regional variations due to the influences of Mayan and Aztec languages)?
Most Chapines (slang for Guatemaltecos) would lose their sh#t if they read that Centroamerican Spanish is "Mexicano." Antigua, Guatemala was Spain's first real capital city in this hemisphere (and is still an amazing place to spend time in), and the language is a bit different than in Mexico. Guatemalans speak with many colloquialisms that are similar to those of Argentinos. FYI ahora means 'now.' Ahorita, with the diminutive added, means literally 'a little bit now' or 'almost now' or the best translation is 'in a sec.'

You wouldn't use most of the colloquial terms in written form though.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clean Slate said:
Buenos Sueños. Where I've lived, people don't ever say this, though. They'd say "Que tiene Buon Sueño," or "That you have good dream."
Well, shoot, that's too long for a store name. Got any swell ideas for one in Spanish? It can be anything to do with beds, rest, sleep, dreams, etc.

Maryn, who didn't really return the thread after all, eh?

Clean Slate

Registered
Reaction score

Anything to do with sex, hookers, or drugs has a huge variation from place to place. I have spent a lot of time in a lot of countries, and no language has anything near the sheer volume of distinct slang words about these subjects as Spanish, and they vary wildly from nation to nation and even from region to region within the same small country.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
DrSpork said:
"Ahorita" (I've also heard ahorito) means "right now" in traditional Spanish, but I've met some people from certain parts of Latin America who use it to mean "later." That can cause a lot of problems.
I think that's actually a term for a part of the human heart.

Clean Slate

Registered
Reaction score
Delarege said:
Yes. Sorry for the confusion.

Literally, 'piece of pie, friend' I've never heard it used like 'piece of cake' or 'easy as pie,' but maybe that's the correct slang translation, unless someone is actually offering a piece of pie to someone else. I love pie.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
Clean Slate said:
Literally, 'piece of pie, friend' I've never heard it used like 'piece of cake' or 'easy as pie,' but maybe that's the correct slang translation, unless someone is actually offering a piece of pie to someone else. I love pie.

So how would an English speaking Hispanic quote "piece of cake" in his native tongue, were he just trying to be amusing in front of a non Spanish speaking individual?

Sorry to hijack...opportunity arose.

Clean Slate

Registered
Reaction score
Delarege said:
So how would an English speaking Hispanic quote "piece of cake" in his native tongue, were he just trying to be amusing in front of a non Spanish speaking individual?

Sorry to hijack...opportunity arose.

Come to think of it, pastel works for cake too. I'd guess that it can be literally translated as 'piece of cake.' Sorry for the confusion, it's been a while.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spork, I would PM Dama Negra. She lives in Mexico City (if I recall correctly) and makes me jealous with her ability to write English better than most native speakers.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Soccer Mom said:
Spork, I would PM Dama Negra. She lives in Mexico City (if I recall correctly) and makes me jealous with her ability to write English better than most native speakers.
Yeah, I always forget the English isn't Dama's first language. I wish I could speak Spainish half as well as she speaks English.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Clean Slate said:
Most Chapines (slang for Guatemaltecos) would lose their sh#t if they read that Centroamerican Spanish is "Mexicano."

Yes, my old roommate is Puerto Rican. I've heard the same rants from him.

Ahorita, with the diminutive added, means literally 'a little bit now' or 'almost now' or the best translation is 'in a sec.'

Okay, maybe I had it reversed then. I just remember him (old roommate) telling me a story of when he once worked in a Mexican restaurant and his boss told him that he needed him there "ahorita," and that it caused confusion because he got there at the wrong time.

I think maybe he said that his boss wanted him there "now," but since he used "ahorita," Daniel thought he meant "in a little while."

That would make more sense for the story, I guess.