AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Ad Lib Books, LLC

figuring it all out

Ad Lib Books, LLC

I wrote and published a Mystery novel...Would it be within the norm for an established "real" publishing company, who would to allow me to advertise and sell, my book through them, to take 40% of the sales price as their fee per book sold?...payouts of my share paid bi-annually.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Well if it is what I would call 'real' (like Tor or Harlequin) I think 90% would be more common. If it is real but an epublisher, more like 60%. Sounds like some kind of self-publishing deal? What do they do for you?
    Emily Veinglory

Hi Amy. I think this post would be better off shunted to the Bewares & Background Checks board but I'll wait a bit.

I gather you self-pubbed this book? If that's the case, "real" publishing companies don't come into the picture after the fact and "allow" you to advertise and sell your book through them.

This "publisher" sounds more like a display site which, for most intents and purposes (I'm being kind by using the word "most") are useless.

How about some more details? Which company did you publish with? What's the name of the company offering you the use of their services?

We won't bite. Honest.
    Recently Thunk Thoughts
    www.frankbaron.com
    My book makes a great gift!

He who conquers others is strong. He who conquers himself is mighty. - Lao Tzu

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    I wouldn't call it a "fictional novel," as you did on your blog.

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising Del's Avatar
    In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
    My hackles would be raised. This is far from traditional.

Giving a percentage for mere advertising I think is foolish. They had better do some work, like distribution. If they put no energy into pumping up your sales you should check them out with a very keen eye. And 40% seems high unless they are producing the book, which would then seem too low.

There is something wrong with the addition here.

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere Kate Thornton's Avatar
    Amy - I would like to know more.

figuring it all out

Adlib Books LLC

"Ad Lib Books LLC" I found it in the "Writer's Market" (The book)

http://www.adlibbooks.com/publishers.html

This is the page I found for this offer. I may have unintentionally overstated the "Real" publishing company, in trying to accurately depict their claim to fame. They are not currently accepting manuscript submissions, but self-published writers are invited to submit their printed books, to be considered, and possibly sold through their web-site.

I should probably say that I self-produced my book, as opposed to saying I self-published (which seems to have taken on a different definition).

When I say self-published, I mean that I hold the copyrights, and have printed, bound (perfect binding) my book, in my home, and I am selling copies of it. (and have sent some copies out strictly for reviews). I am trying to decide whether or not to go ahead and purchase the ISBN, and market it to book stores and on-line markets, or try to sell it off to a "real" publishing company...
    Last edited by Amy K. Jones; 01-09-2007 at 01:25 AM.

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Worth
    I wouldn't call it a "fictional novel," as you did on your blog.
    Why not? What would you call it?...provided it isn't too insulting or painful to hear.

Resist. Love. Go outside. Marlys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy K. Jones
    Why not? What would you call it?...provided it isn't too insulting or painful to hear.
    A novel is by definition fiction--calling it a "fictional novel" is redundant, and usually taken as the sign of a real newbie.
    I'm a twit, too: @PearsonMarlys

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlys
    A novel is by definition fiction--calling it a "fictional novel" is redundant, and usually taken as the sign of a real newbie.
    Thanks!...I'll edit that right away.

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW Requiescat In Pace Popeyesays's Avatar
    Main Entry: 2novel
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Italian novella
    1 : an invented prose narrative that is usually long and complex and deals especially with human experience through a usually connected sequence of events
    2 : the literary genre consisting of novels
    - nov∑el∑is∑tic /"nš-v&-'lis-tik/ adjective
    - nov∑el∑is∑ti∑cal∑ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

"Novel" means fiction. To say fictional novel is to say "fictional fiction" which as others noted is a rather silly redendancy.

Non-fiction written in imitation of a novel is usually referred to as "narrative non-fiction".

Unless this service is selling the book to bookstores and putting them on shelves, they are not worth the money or the time, or the hopes invested in them.
    Regards,
    Scott
    [B]Okay, damnit, I blog [URL]http://cscottsaylorsbooks.blogspot.com/[/URL][/B]
    [B]Sword of the Dajjal[/B] e-book, [SIZE=2]Published by BooksForABuck.com May, 2007 ISBN: 978-1-602-052-2 [URL]http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages/sf_07/sword_dajjal.html[/URL][/SIZE]
    Out in print early 2008 from Blu Phi'er[URL="http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook47261.htm?cached"][/URL]
    [B]Jars of Doom[/B] out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    [URL]http://www.bluphier.com/[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Amy K. Jones
    Marlys is right on key; Novel is the term you want.

Though you can attach your genre to the front of the word to be a bit more specific:

Fantasy Novel
    Mystery Novel
    Sci-Fi Novel, etc.

I think it would be best to think of them as a consignment store. 40% is high but we do what we must. If they just take the money and leave you to ship to the customer then it is very high. 30 - 33% is usual for consignment goods. I don't see a book as being any different.

Still, if they sell a book that wouldn't have been sold otherwise then maybe it's worth it, but not if it takes time away from you doing your own selling.

You could probably do what they do and make more by advertising through affiliate websites and pay per click, or better still, if this is a professional looking cover and binding then I'd spend my time placing it on consignment in bookstores of a local, and then use the market data to solicit a publisher or agent.

The fact that Ad Lib Books uses the terms "fiction novel" at least twice on their site tells me they don't have a clue about this business.

Amy, you could do what they do - build a site and flog your book from it - and keep more money in your own pocket.

I'm going to move this over to B&BC. Uncle Jim, Victoria and some of the folks there can chime in with their thoughts. Have you checked out our Self-Publishing and Book Promotion boards?
    Recently Thunk Thoughts
    www.frankbaron.com
    My book makes a great gift!

He who conquers others is strong. He who conquers himself is mighty. - Lao Tzu

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by aka eraser
    The fact that Ad Lib Books uses the terms "fiction novel" at least twice on their site tells me they don't have a clue about this business.

Amy, you could do what they do - build a site and flog your book from it - and keep more money in your own pocket.

I'm going to move this over to B&BC. Uncle Jim, Victoria and some of the folks there can chime in with their thoughts. Have you checked out our Self-Publishing and Book Promotion boards?
    Thanks, I'll head over to the two boards.

What they're advertising is a distribution service. 40% is a bit low when you consider that Amazon.com and other sites prefer a 50-55% discount on books. However, looking at the site, I don't see where they "distribute" books beyond their own web page (granted I only took a cursory look).

The question to ask yourself is if Ad Lib will get your book to places you can't. If they aren't actually distributing to bookstores then I'm going to say the answer is no. You'd be better off creating your own site to sell your book in this case.
    Eggplant Literary Productions,
    A small electronic speculative fiction publisher.

Amy--Welcome to AW!

Here's a mantra that's saved me a lot of grief.

A good publisher has sold books you've heard of or seen on shelves; a good agent, likewise.

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomew
    Amy--Welcome to AW!

Here's a mantra that's saved me a lot of grief.

A good publisher has sold books you've heard of or seen on shelves; a good agent, likewise.
    Thanks!

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Ask them how they plan to sell your books.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    The whole thing looks a little shady to me. And I agree with aka eraser: anyone who uses the term "fiction novel" should not be in publishing.

They may call themselves publishers but if they don't produce and ship that product to outlets then they are just a store.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    ...we are only interested in working with authors who intend to go to great lengths to help us sell their books.

60% of nothing is nothing. Keep looking.

figuring it all out
    Thanks everyone!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Closed to submissions last year, and now looks to be gone entirely.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Amy-- Have you attempted to get an agent or sell your novel to a recognized publisher?

You still can. Unless I'm misunderstanding, it hasn't really been published yet or available in any sense a publisher would care about. Send a query letter. Then when invited to send more, send pages off your printer in manuscript form, not the book. (I wouldn't even mention you had it printed and bound.)