• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Evan Marshall Agency

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I looked in the index and searched the thread but couldn't find anything about this agency. They're on my first tier list to query on a fantasy romance adventure novel. I've googled them and know they're RWA recognized.

What I want to know is what anyone's experience has been with them.

Thanks for your help.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Evan Marshall sells quite a few books, mostly to houses like Dorcester and Kensington, although he also has made some big sales. He is given a 'recommended' listing by P&E. It looks like his main thrust is in the mystery/romance genre. His web site indicates he will look at fantasy, but I don't see any evidence of sales in that area, even fantasy/romance.

I sent him a query once about an Urban Fantasy and he did respond with a request for a full, but after some more research I decided to instead pursue other agencies I thought would be more suited to my type of book.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge, like Victoria, will weigh in.

emsuniverse

Back to freelancing again...
Registered
Reaction score
I met him once. He's a very nice man. He reps Bobbi Smith, who writes western romances.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
you can find a little more info about his sales on Karen Fox's Web site (www.ikarenfox.com--i think).

Rejected my query, but I sent him a very unconventional romance, so my bad, really. I googled him, but had a difficult time digging up info. Definitely worth a shot querying, imho.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
He responds fairly quickly to queries. The writers I've known who've approached him (including myself) received a response within 2 weeks. He requested my full and passed about 3 months later. I know a writer who's repped by him. They haven't sold yet, but he's been supportive and encouraging.

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the necromancy in reviving this thread, but I have a quick question about Mr. Marshall.

His AgentQuery page says that he's no longer accepting unsolicited queries. Can anyone confirm this?

I ask because Mr. Marshall was the only agent who responded to my first novel query, and indeed requested the full manuscript. It was rejected, but I'd hoped that he'd like the second one better, or that the first ms. request could act as a foot in the door.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If it were only "no unsolicited queries", you might be forgiven for sending a brief letter along the lines of "you found promise in my first ms, may I query you re: my second?", in the hopes he'd then solicit your query. But, alas, he also states "only accepting queries from published authors"; so if you aren't already published, save your stamp.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Just an update since I'm again looking for an agent: I visited the above links and what I see is someone promoting his own work rather than currently repping other writers. For me, that's a red flag. I also tried to find him on Publishers Marketplace and couldn't (but that could be my fault). He is still on agentquery though.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Is he even still an agent? I can't find a webpage for an agency or a publishers marketplace page....does anyone know?

dwriter68

Registered
Reaction score
He just updated his profile on Writers Market. On of his recent sales,m a psychological thriller by Erica Spindler, was published by St Martin on June 2011. I wonder if he takes historical fiction...

dwriter68

Registered
Reaction score
This is on his Writers market page:

• Member of AAR: True
  • Member of WGA: False
  • Memberships: Other memberships include MWA, Sisters in Crime.
  • Simultaneous Submissions: No Answer
  • Current Handles: novels 100%
  • Submissions: Do not query. Currently accepting clients only by referal from editors and our own clients.
  • Responds in 1 week to queries. Responds in 3 months to mss.
  • Obtains most new clients through recommendations from others.
  • Offers written contract.

Needs

Represents: novels

Fiction

Represents: action,adventure,erotica,ethnic,frontier,historical,horror,humor,inspirational,literary,mainstream,mystery,religious,satire,science fiction,suspense,western

romance (contemporary, gothic, historical, regency)

Recent Sales

• Watch Me Die, by Erica Spindler (St. Martin's Press)
  • The First Day of the Rest of My Life, by Cathy Lamb (Kensington)
  • Highland Protector, by Hannah Howell (Zebra)
  • Devoured by Darkness, by Alexandra Ivy (Kensington).

JohannaC

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like he is accepting unsolicited queries now according to his website. I sent him one yesterday.

Adelle

Registered
Reaction score
I'm rep'd by Evan and he's been nothing but fantastic.

He's also super fast at responding. When I sent my initial query, he got back to me within 24 hours (and it's the same with the other authors he reps [or at least the ones I talk to]) but he typically never replies to queries he doesn't like (so kinda a downside, but at least you know right away if he likes you?)

I would definitely recommend him. :3