The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Evan Marshall Agency

Question Evan Marshall Agency

I looked in the index and searched the thread but couldn't find anything about this agency. They're on my first tier list to query on a fantasy romance adventure novel. I've googled them and know they're RWA recognized.

What I want to know is what anyone's experience has been with them.

Thanks for your help.
    Jodi locuta est; causa finita est.

Untitled: 2052/60,000

blog

"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich. Louis Sabin

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." Christopher Morley

Evan Marshall sells quite a few books, mostly to houses like Dorcester and Kensington, although he also has made some big sales. He is given a 'recommended' listing by P&E. It looks like his main thrust is in the mystery/romance genre. His web site indicates he will look at fantasy, but I don't see any evidence of sales in that area, even fantasy/romance.

I sent him a query once about an Urban Fantasy and he did respond with a request for a full, but after some more research I decided to instead pursue other agencies I thought would be more suited to my type of book.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge, like Victoria, will weigh in.

Back to freelancing again... emsuniverse's Avatar
    I met him once. He's a very nice man. He reps Bobbi Smith, who writes western romances.
    Everyone loves a Blog

Twitter: emilyshendricks (follow me?)
    FB page: The View From Down Here (like me?)

you can find a little more info about his sales on Karen Fox's Web site (www.ikarenfox.com--i think).

Rejected my query, but I sent him a very unconventional romance, so my bad, really. I googled him, but had a difficult time digging up info. Definitely worth a shot querying, imho.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I'm not aware that he's especially active in the fantasy/SF market.

- Victoria

practical experience, FTW mysterygrl's Avatar
    He responds fairly quickly to queries. The writers I've known who've approached him (including myself) received a response within 2 weeks. He requested my full and passed about 3 months later. I know a writer who's repped by him. They haven't sold yet, but he's been supportive and encouraging.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Huh. PM page is gone, so here's his AgentQuery page.

His home site(s): www.thenovelist.com
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Sorry for the necromancy in reviving this thread, but I have a quick question about Mr. Marshall.

His AgentQuery page says that he's no longer accepting unsolicited queries. Can anyone confirm this?

I ask because Mr. Marshall was the only agent who responded to my first novel query, and indeed requested the full manuscript. It was rejected, but I'd hoped that he'd like the second one better, or that the first ms. request could act as a foot in the door.

If it were only "no unsolicited queries", you might be forgiven for sending a brief letter along the lines of "you found promise in my first ms, may I query you re: my second?", in the hopes he'd then solicit your query. But, alas, he also states "only accepting queries from published authors"; so if you aren't already published, save your stamp.
    ICAO
    ---------

Looks like his website is plugging a Novel Writing Software and also a makeover handbook.

Yep, thenovelist.com (which now redirects to http://writeanovelfast.com/) is his product page. His home site is: http://www.evan-marshall.com/index.htm. He's still reporting sales on PM.
    ICAO
    ---------

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Just an update since I'm again looking for an agent: I visited the above links and what I see is someone promoting his own work rather than currently repping other writers. For me, that's a red flag. I also tried to find him on Publishers Marketplace and couldn't (but that could be my fault). He is still on agentquery though.
    Anne Skalitza

BLOG BLOG BLOG

Is he even still an agent? I can't find a webpage for an agency or a publishers marketplace page....does anyone know?

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Doubtful he's still an active agent. Either way, I'd definitely proceed w/ caution. (Read: don't bother.)
    Anne Skalitza

BLOG BLOG BLOG

figuring it all out
    He just updated his profile on Writers Market. On of his recent sales,m a psychological thriller by Erica Spindler, was published by St Martin on June 2011. I wonder if he takes historical fiction...

figuring it all out
    This is on his Writers market page:

• Member of AAR: True
    • Member of WGA: False
    • Memberships: Other memberships include MWA, Sisters in Crime.
    • Simultaneous Submissions: No Answer
    • Current Handles: novels 100%
    • Submissions: Do not query. Currently accepting clients only by referal from editors and our own clients.
    • Responds in 1 week to queries. Responds in 3 months to mss.
    • Obtains most new clients through recommendations from others.
    • Offers written contract.

Needs

Represents: novels

Fiction

Represents: action,adventure,erotica,ethnic,frontier,historica l,horror,humor,inspirational,literary,mainstream,m ystery,religious,satire,science fiction,suspense,western

romance (contemporary, gothic, historical, regency)

Recent Sales

• Watch Me Die, by Erica Spindler (St. Martin's Press)
    • The First Day of the Rest of My Life, by Cathy Lamb (Kensington)
    • Highland Protector, by Hannah Howell (Zebra)
    • Devoured by Darkness, by Alexandra Ivy (Kensington).

Sites have been consolidated to: http://themarshallplan.net/
    ICAO
    ---------

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin JohannaC's Avatar
    It looks like he is accepting unsolicited queries now according to his website. I sent him one yesterday.

ICAO
    ---------