S' Long, '06

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How will you celebrate?
Me, a quiet evening at home with hubby and maybe a good movie if I'm caught up on my laundry.
New Years Day - a traditional cornbeef brisket with fresh carrots and cabbage. I'll slip a silver dime in the cabbage pot for good luck, and as usual see that my daughter receives it...uhmmm maybe not, perhaps I'll give myself the silver dime this year. ;)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

hugs,
kimmi

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I might watch Garrison Keillor live from the Ryman Auditorium.

It's be like Lake Wobegon South,

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
kimmi 57 said:
--a traditional cornbeef brisket with fresh carrots and cabbage.

I think I just threw up a little ! :eek:

For me it's a quiet evening at my mother's house, playing cards with her, sis and stepdad. Then Monday is a quiet day at home napping and sitting around wondering if there's something more constructive I should do.

And wishing someone else would brave the frosted outdoors to wash my car, so I could start the new year with a nice, clean car.

Happy New One, to you, too :)

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Anything has to be an improvement on last New Year's Eve. My eight yr old vomited guacamole Doritos as the ball dropped, I was six months pregnant with number five, then number three puked cherry pie all over the carpet at 12:04am.

This year I'm handing them all barf bags and going to bed early.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! ...and I forgot the black-eyed peas. Got to have them, it's tradition. If I don't run out now and get a can they'll be all gone...
;)

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
New Year’s Eve I’m staying home. I want to stagger to my bed when I finish two bottles of wine after the Bears’ game.

New Year’s Day I’m getting together with friends and their families to drink, eat and play Texas Holdem (I teach the kids) to 4:00 AM. The one thing I dislike is gifts. My friends buy for me, which I tell them not to so now I have to go out and buy for them. Hello… there’s only one of me and then their families. This is one bad thing about being single – I get screwed when it comes to gifts. I feel better. End of rant.

I wish everyone an AWESOME 2007.:partyguy:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
Well that does it, I'm putting this on my DVR list !
Coyote Ugly is just down the street. Along with the Wildhorse Saloon. :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
You sure you don't have your holidays mixed up? That's a St. Paddy Day meal.

We're going to see the Harlem Globetrotters. Then we'll probably watch the ball drop at my inlaws.

Er Nope, and it's also done on Saint Paddy's Day as well, without the dime...at least in my neck of the woods.
My grocery stocks a lot of briskets only twice a year, New Years and St. Pats.
What your traditional food?

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:

Well I am sure in some parts ham or pork is preferred, but we are sick of it by now...

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I will be at my inlaws on New Year's Eve. They now live in what used to be their weekend home all the time, which is at a lake, with a bunch of other retired people. These people have what they call "The Slab" where they go to party. I'll go there for my required 30 minutes, pack my daughter up and go back to their house, before the smoking and the drunks get really bad.

Last year, DH stayed until after 1 a.m., and we didn't get to celebrate together. This year, he pretty much knows he'd better be back at the house in time for us to celebrate New Year's together.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
My whole clan is heading off to the land from whence we came, New Jersey. :D

We're going to visit my sister. January 1 is my parent's 39th anniversary. We all get together every year and have a dinner/gift night. It's our answer to Christmas. (We don't do the whole x-mas thing.) We'll have a big turkey dinner, pop champagne, watch them open their gifts (shh, I got my mom an iPod) and play Clue, Rack-O, or Trivial Pursuit until we pass out from the food coma.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working...again. This will be the third year in a row. Two years ago it was so slow we ate ice cream sundaes and my partner brought in his Playstation and we played some game where I kept getting shot.

Last year, it was so busy I thought my head was going to explode by 3am. It was crazy busy. Apparently, all the drunks decided it was a free for all. We had assaults, B&E's, drunk drivers...you name it, it happened.

We're just waiting to see what happens this year...

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
New Years Eve I'll go out for a drink or two with my brother and his partner, then make myself scarce before midnight so they can do the whole kissing thing when the ball drops without me standing there--there's just something inherintly depressing about watching your baby brother get all cuddly with his significant other on new years while you're single. Actually, there's something icky about watching your brother get all cuddly period.

New Year's day I'll open the shop a little late and go to my parent's for dinner--ham and black eyed peas.

Happy New Year!

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Alia...I hope that next New Years will be better for you :) I spent many holidays single and it's not fun...

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
We'll probably just stay home and enjoy whatever howie cooks, which is always yummy - either turkey or ham. Then we'll enjoy the tv fare and see the ball drop at l2:00. Geez, I don't know if I can contain all my excitement. LOL. Happy New Year's everyone. Be happy & safe.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
aspiringwriter said:
Alia...I hope that next New Years will be better for you :) I spent many holidays single and it's not fun...

Thanks!
It's definitely not a lot of fun to be single on New Years, but on the up side, all my immediate family members are in happy long term relationships and it's comforting to see and know that. I'd rather start the New Year feeling sorry for myself--I can do something about that--than feeling bad for a loved one and being able to do very little about it.
Plus, I enjoy being single on the whole.

And I have this bridge . . . :D