The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Castiglia Literary Agency

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Castiglia Literary Agency

Has anyone here worked with Julie Castiglia, of Castiglia Literary? If so, can you share your experience? Did you like working with her? Did she sell your book? Was she reliable? Would you recommend her as an agent? Thanks in advance!

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nygirl
    Has anyone here worked with Julie Castiglia, of Castiglia Literary? If so, can you share your experience? Did you like working with her? Did she sell your book? Was she reliable? Would you recommend her as an agent? Thanks in advance!
    I don't have any experience with her/the agency, but the firm has a dollar sign next to it on Preditors and Editors (which means they've sold books).

FYI, here's her Publisher's Marketplace page:

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com...stigliaAgency/

Sorry I can't be of more help! Good luck!

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

I snail mailed a query & first chapter on 07/07 and received a form card reject back in the maili on 07/14. They did, however, cross out the "Author" in Dear Author, and write in "Robert".

Read a partial of mine and then rejected it. Seemed like a very reputable agency...
    If I didn't worry I'd have to find another pastime.

Agent Winifred (Win) Golden, at Castiglia

Does anybody know anything about agent Winifred Golden of the Castiglia Agency? She recently expressed interest in my book, but I can't find much about her online. If anyone has had any experience with Ms. Golden, know titles she has represented, or knows anything about her reputation, please let me know. Thanks!

practical experience, FTW Moon Daughter's Avatar
    Publishers Market says they've been in service for 17 years, but their site says they were created in 1993, which would equal 14 years.

"Ms. Golden will look at Science Fiction, Ethnic, commercial and thriller novels, plus narrative non-fiction and some health books." (from their site)

They're a member of AAR and PEN.
    YA Paranormal 70k (still plugging away)
    YA Thriller 86,000 (trunked)

Ms Golden's agency is reputed and I have had the opportunity to interact with her. She had agented another successful Indian author earlier and I was rather pleased when she offered me representation for my debut novel. However, while she was extremely professional in her approach and did whatever needed to be done, I guess, she sort of let me down when it came to corresponding with my Indian publisher who had approached me before I contacted her.

In fact, I was looking for a Western agent to get me the best deal both in India as well as the West. (There are no literary agents in India, if that is a question which needs to be answered here.) However, in the first, very first, mail that she sent to my Indian publisher qualifying our position, she made what I think was a major faux pas: she wrote wrong English and with silly typos. I thought that made me, as author, look foolish, particularly when we had a point to make with the Indian publisher who, by the way, had also published Booker winner Arundhati Roy in the first instance when nobody had heard of her. I told Ms Golden that this was unacceptable and to my horror, she replied that it was very "American" to be casual about these things!

We parted ways then and there and the contract, which had been signed a few days earlier, was not even mentioned. Since then, I have had the good luck to be represented by a reputed agent in London and am perfectly happy with what she is doing as far as shopping is concerned.
    Having said this, I do not think that Ms Golden is a bad agent and she does have sales and her credibility ratings are high. So, go ahead with her, if you ask me. But check all mail before pressing the Send button. Good luck!:-)
    Last edited by abdasgupta1; 08-08-2007 at 01:04 PM.
    Abhijit Dasgupta
    Executive Editor
    India Today
    Ph: 0919830046661
    Email: BLIND SUBMISSION
    http://blogs.intoday.in/index.php?op...mid=86&blogs=1

interesting

Thank you for that first-hand account; it is helpful to know these things. I am still having trouble finding very many titles that Ms. Golden has represented. Do you know of any?

Search "A History of Youth in Revolt" which has gotten filmed. That's her claim to fame. But, Julie Castiglia is a big name. So, Winifred, I would feel, is safe. Good luck.
    Abhijit Dasgupta
    Executive Editor
    India Today
    Ph: 0919830046661
    Email: BLIND SUBMISSION
    http://blogs.intoday.in/index.php?op...mid=86&blogs=1

Ubi dubium ibi libertas OneWriter's Avatar
    This thread is so old... Any news? New clients? Terrific sales?
    Thanks.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Her PM page has current info.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
    Latest story in December 2013 issue of EQMM.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne

I write in bed.
    I queried Win Golden on 4/25
    She requested the first 3 chapters on 4/25

I haven't heard a word since. She said she'd get back to me within a week (maybe sooner). So I figure this is a pass for her. I know I should probably nudge...but I'm afraid.

I'd say nudge, especially since she said she would get back to you in a week. I mean, the worst that happens is that she sends you a rejection, but you're already assuming that's what she's done.

It's quite possible, on the other hand, that she was distracted by other things, or is on the fence and simple needs more time, or that your nudge will spur her to request the full.

Granted, I'm often afraid to nudge as well. But in my mind a solid rejection is worth more than a haunting no-answer.

Good luck, by the way, with all of your queries!

I write in bed.
    Thanks! I'll go ahead and send her a nudge today...if I can work up the nerve!

Does anyone know if she's still in business? Her website doesn't come up and this thread hasn't been updated in years.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
    Does anyone know if she's still in business? Her website doesn't come up and this thread hasn't been updated in years.
    When I search this agency it says that it has been closed permanently. Not sure if the name has changed, but that's the only information I could find.