I need creepy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

elf_friend39

loves elves and fairies :)
Registered
Reaction score
I can tell the creepiest stories when I am in the right mindset, and I can scare my family into running across the room to turn on the light. I've noticed that some of my creepiest narratives come when I put the listener (or reader) in a place where anything can happen. When you think you hear a mouse in the corner, think again--it's a dismembered hand trailing blood across the floor as it creeps toward you. Or, you could use a man with no eyes, but he turns his face to follow you as you pass him by.

Last edited:

Excelsior

Don't panic.
Registered
Reaction score
The only book that truly scared me was "The Hot Zone".

I read F Paul Wilson's "The Haunted Air" a while back, and it definitely scored with the creepy. As was said before, it's all about the atmosphere.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I would say the first resident evil, even though I liked the second one better.

The dead woman in the water who then looks up is pretty creepy.

Oh, you're talking about books...

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
The Shining scared the crap out of me. So did Salem's Lot.

But there are two books I rememember most that kept me up, literally, all night reading, huddled in my bed with the covers pulled up high. The first was the original Dracula and the second was The Silence of the Lambs.

:eek:

swordgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I'll agree, THE SHINING was and still is the most horrifying novel ever written that pays homage to all disabilities. I've read every KING novel too date. Most of them are clever, although his recent works are bread without butter.

I think Chuck Palunchick's stuff, especially HAUNTED was pretty distubing.

This forum is depressing me, I really don't know why.

I'm writing a novel now about demonic horses that carry the spirits of real dead serial killers inside them (inbetween taking writing classes etc.)

Wish me luck-

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski (sp?) is a different kind of creepy. When you read it there are parts when you actually feel like you're inside the house, it has a very creepy feel to it. It is written very differently and I could see how the style might turn some people off.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Horrific and popular authors Stephen King and Dean Koontz work wonders for this type of thing. Not onlt do they give you the fantastical creeps you need to boost your writing skills, but their writing style is what made them popular, so you'll get a feel for what you ened to do to make a sell-worthy story.

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
House of Leaves, definitely.

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I think that anything familiar, comforting, trusted or safe can be made creepy just by exaggerating, perverting or distorting it. Stephen King does this frequently, but you can easily come up with examples of your own. For example:

The policeman is your friend: and he won't go away.

Good things come to those who wait: but far more of it than you can stand.

My teddy loves me: but Teddy gets jealous.

I think that this sort of horror is fun for everyone but can be especially gripping for children because they're still exploring safe/unsafe.

Cathedral Goth

Registered
Reaction score
Are you familiar with the early 20th-Century German Expressionist author (although he was actually Austrian) Gustav Meyrink? His works are available in English. I highly recommend The Golem and Walpurgisnacht.

SJones

I noticed nobody mentioned On Writing Horror: A Handbook by the Horror Writers Association. I'm not sure if it's good for advice but it's definately interesting to read what the different writer's had to say on how they would do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.