• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Strachan Literary Agency

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
Hey,

I am looking for some info on Laura Strachan. This is her contact info and website.....

Strachan Literary Agency
P.O. Box 2091
Annapolis, MD 21404
phone/fax: 410-268-2014
www.strachanlit.com
www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/lhstrachan

I also know that she is (or was) Gerald Jone's literary agent and "Ginny Good" was one of her first sales.
She is listed on P&E with a $, but nothing else and her website is totally bare-bones. Anyone know anything else?

Thanks,

Maprilynne

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
She has a rep for championing "problem" books, FWIW. There's mention on P&E that she stopped accepting subs in 2003, although the PM page lists one sale a year since then (not that those are necessarily exclusive). I'd ask her for a current client list.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's got my partial. Responded very quickly (next day) to my query and apologized ahead of time, stating that she's buried under reading and will read as soon as humanly possible. My first interactions with her have been very pleasant.

wmgoins

Registered
Reaction score
I queried her via email today, and she replied in less than 30 minutes. Asked for four chapters based upon the query letter. Apologized that she might take a few weeks to get back to me as she is swamped. Hope she likes what she reads.

finewritingfinewine

Registered
Reaction score
Mike, have you heard anything from Laura? Just curious as to what her turn around time on partials is looking like right now.

Thanks!

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's still got my partial from November, so I'd also love to hear if anyone's had any turn around from her on pages!

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I equeried Laura Strachan in March, and I believe she requested a partial that same week. I sent her a partial on March fifth. Yesterday, April thirtieth, I got a request for a full on that partial. Both times she warned me that she takes a long time responding, but I don't really think a little under two months is "a long time." It's not quick, but it's quicker than some agents who still have my material.

thequotegal

Registered
Reaction score
She also has my first fifty pages and warned me that she'd take a month (at least!) but to feel free to nudge! Extremely personable in her emails. Congrats on the request of a full now, Tomothecat!! Keep us posted. Just curious, what genre it is??

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. She pretty much said ver batum what you just said. :) Literary Fiction. You?

She also has my first fifty pages and warned me that she'd take a month (at least!) but to feel free to nudge! Extremely personable in her emails. Congrats on the request of a full now, Tomothecat!! Keep us posted. Just curious, what genre it is??

finewritingfinewine

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...I had written her off when I didn't hear back after my initial "nudge." did you nudge her, Tomo, and did you hear anything back?

Congrats on the full!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I did not nudge her. I might have if it had been a month longer. She said the same thing about "feel free to nudge" when I sent along my full yesterday.

Hmmm...I had written her off when I didn't hear back after my initial "nudge." did you nudge her, Tomo, and did you hear anything back?

Congrats on the full!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Dear Author

Yep, still at it.
Registered
Reaction score
No discsussion of this agent for a while - wondering what if anything folks heard about their partials/fulls? Has anyone signed with her? Any updated info much appreciated. FYI, her website says:

PLEASE NOTE: I WILL NOT BE ACCEPTING NEW SUBMISSIONS FROM JULY 1 THROUGH LABOR DAY IN AN EFFORT TO CATCH UP WITH A BACKLOG. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING.

I'm assuming this is current-?

Dr. Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
No discsussion of this agent for a while - wondering what if anything folks heard about their partials/fulls? Has anyone signed with her? Any updated info much appreciated. FYI, her website says:

PLEASE NOTE: I WILL NOT BE ACCEPTING NEW SUBMISSIONS FROM JULY 1 THROUGH LABOR DAY IN AN EFFORT TO CATCH UP WITH A BACKLOG. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING.

I'm assuming this is current-?

In my experience, Laura Strachan was courteous and professional. She liked my partial, but passed on the full. Very reasonable TAT. Here are my stats:

5/10/09: Query
5/10/09: Requested three chapters
7/11/09: Requested full
7/15/09: Rejected

I got my query in before her temporary cut-off 7/1. I'd assume she'll post an update when she's caught up on her backlog and ready to take new queries and submissions.

Dear Author

Yep, still at it.
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, Laura Strachan was courteous and professional. She liked my partial, but passed on the full. Very reasonable TAT. Here are my stats:

5/10/09: Query
5/10/09: Requested three chapters
7/11/09: Requested full
7/15/09: Rejected

Thanks, Dr. Johnson, for sharing your stats. I'm sorry it wasn't good news in the end, but glad that your interactions were pleasant. You certainly weren't hung up waiting for long! Best of luck to you.

Dr. Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Dr. Johnson, for sharing your stats. I'm sorry it wasn't good news in the end, but glad that your interactions were pleasant. You certainly weren't hung up waiting for long! Best of luck to you.

You're welcome. And good luck to you, too!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Laura might not be accepting queries at the moment, but she hasn't closed herself off completely. She is very approachable through Twitter, and allowed me to send her a query after I asked if she was going to tweet her status when she was open.

A half hour later, she asked for the full. It's been about a month, but I'm not pushing her. We just talk about other stuff like kids and bill paying. :)

In the meantime, another Twitter pal just announced she is a new client of Laura's, and Ms. Strachan also did.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Today, after a flurry of Twitter messages and emails back and forth about the endless pile of manuscripts and misbehaving attachments, I think Laura's reading my MS. I am now back to checking my email every five minutes.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
She read my full, and I got the kindest, most encouraging rejection from her. She had a lot of wonderful things to say about my novel, just that the sweet ones are getting pushed out by big concept novels. I thought as much but I'm not discouraged.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear she passed, Chumplet. Don't give up!

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
For those who are interested, there is an update on her website dated January 2012:

"Here's the good news: Strachan Literary Agency is now accepting queries, but will be taking on new projects very, very selectively. We are most interested in high-end literary fiction and strong, compelling narrative nonfiction from authors with solid platforms. Here's the bad news: We have moved to a new computer and have had to make a clean break. With a few limited exceptions, queries and material submitted prior to 2012 were not transferred and are no longer under consideration."

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
She had agreed to see my YA version of my submission (totally revamped) and I sent it early last year, but I had to nudge around November. She apologized and asked me to resend after Christmas, so hopefully she'll accept it when I'm finished running a comb through it.